Lyric

=((((((((( Fiance just found out he has cancer

90 posts in this topic

You could in theory come here to visit, marry here, file an "inland application" this is the long route but you would be allowed to work while you wait for the PR. I also know of a couple in which the canadian was on disability and was still accepted as a sponsor. If he was to get on disability here he could still sponsor you. It involves getting married here though. But at least you could work.

I wish you the best in your decision. I can say from personal experience, my father was diagnosed with cancer in the u.s. and he (at that very moment) had no health insurance. He was was treated, but not at the best hospitals, and it was a very bad situation. My family was financially strapped after it was over and my mom had nothing left. My niece is battling cancer now, and even with Child Care Services, they have lost all their money. Her bills are currently in the millions...... I would seriously consider staying where he can get medical attention covered.

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Can you give me links or phone numbers or anything on this kind of assistance in Canada? I need all the help I can get. I know it makes more sense, financially for him to stay there and get medical paid for. At the same time, I feel that maybe he could get BETTER treatment here, even though we most likely can't get financial help. sigh. It's all so frustrating and confusing. We just don't know what to do. I'm trying to do all this myself b/c he is not feeling well and is so upset, it's hard to even be able to talk with him right now to figure out what route to go. :(

I'm not sure why you think he'll get better care in the US. Canada has some of the best health care in the world! Yes the system has it's problems, but there is no question of the excellent treatment he will receive.

Here is the link to the employment insurance and here's the Canadian immigration site. I'd also contact his member of Parliament to see what they can do to help. Like I said, I have found them to be extremely willing to help. Also, here is the Canada benefits site, you might be able to find some programs that he can use. You could also try contacting churches or maybe even the local YMCA in his area to see if there is anything out there to help you both.

Timeline
You could in theory come here to visit, marry here, file an "inland application" this is the long route but you would be allowed to work while you wait for the PR. I also know of a couple in which the canadian was on disability and was still accepted as a sponsor. If he was to get on disability here he could still sponsor you. It involves getting married here though. But at least you could work.

I wish you the best in your decision. I can say from personal experience, my father was diagnosed with cancer in the u.s. and he (at that very moment) had no health insurance. He was was treated, but not at the best hospitals, and it was a very bad situation. My family was financially strapped after it was over and my mom had nothing left. My niece is battling cancer now, and even with Child Care Services, they have lost all their money. Her bills are currently in the millions...... I would seriously consider staying where he can get medical attention covered.

:( That's what I'm trying to figure out. If I came there to visit and then got married and then try to file and inland application, that could lead to problems too. I can't come back to the U.S. and gather up my stuff to live there. I'd be there premanantly. And,then I assume I'd have to close the U.S. case first before we even do anything in Canada? sigh. I'm so confused.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Timeline

I just thought of this...try getting in contact with the Canadian Cancer Society. They'll probably be able to tell you what kind of programs you fiance can apply for and offer you some guidance as far as that goes.

Timeline

Can you give me links or phone numbers or anything on this kind of assistance in Canada? I need all the help I can get. I know it makes more sense, financially for him to stay there and get medical paid for. At the same time, I feel that maybe he could get BETTER treatment here, even though we most likely can't get financial help. sigh. It's all so frustrating and confusing. We just don't know what to do. I'm trying to do all this myself b/c he is not feeling well and is so upset, it's hard to even be able to talk with him right now to figure out what route to go. :(

I'm not sure why you think he'll get better care in the US. Canada has some of the best health care in the world! Yes the system has it's problems, but there is no question of the excellent treatment he will receive.

Here is the link to the employment insurance and here's the Canadian immigration site. I'd also contact his member of Parliament to see what they can do to help. Like I said, I have found them to be extremely willing to help. Also, here is the Canada benefits site, you might be able to find some programs that he can use. You could also try contacting churches or maybe even the local YMCA in his area to see if there is anything out there to help you both.

Thank you, Mercy, for all the links. There is so much to try and figure out in such a short period of time. I don't even know when he is supposed to have surgery :( It's all happening so fast.

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

I'm so sorry this has happened Lyric. :(

You could come here (and other people have done this successfully incl. me) you could have things shipped to you, and you wouldn't have to consider it a permanent thing... maybe just to get thru his treatments.

It just seems so risky to have him come to the states with a pre-exist. condition, you just won't know what kind of help he'll get. You could also file an Outside app, come in while it is pending - (what I did) and then when he is able to come to US you would have PR by then and could do DCF. I am sure your head is spinning, but most important is to get him healthcare coverage!! and he already has it here, and who knows what he'll get in the u.s. without insurance coverage.

Maybe try and just look at it that you're coming here for now, and you'll go back to the u.s. later ?

Married 12-30-05

I-130

11-06-06 Medical

HOME SWEET HOME

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

Filed: Timeline
I would let him stay in Canada where he can get (free) care. i would also get him to file petitions for you to come there, and have things expedited based on his illness, so that you can come there to care for him, and they may expedite your work permits based on this. There are also government programs and charities that would assist him with finances whle he is undergoing treatment. I dunno, thats the angle I would work, you are more likely to get the compassionate assistance if you go there...and not be stuck with a medical bill that will bankrupt you before you even marry. When he is better, then work on moving to the usa...

just a thought

I agree fully with evilcanuck

Lyric, I'm so very sorry. You and your fiance are in my prayers

Timeline
I'm so sorry this has happened Lyric. :(

You could come here (and other people have done this successfully incl. me) you could have things shipped to you, and you wouldn't have to consider it a permanent thing... maybe just to get thru his treatments.

It just seems so risky to have him come to the states with a pre-exist. condition, you just won't know what kind of help he'll get. You could also file an Outside app, come in while it is pending - (what I did) and then when he is able to come to US you would have PR by then and could do DCF. I am sure your head is spinning, but most important is to get him healthcare coverage!! and he already has it here, and who knows what he'll get in the u.s. without insurance coverage.

Maybe try and just look at it that you're coming here for now, and you'll go back to the u.s. later ?

I have NO clue about Canadian immigration. I've tried many times to get a grasp of it but it completely confuses me. Can you guys help? How does an Outside App work?

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Filed: Other Timeline
:( That's what I'm trying to figure out. If I came there to visit and then got married and then try to file and inland application, that could lead to problems too. I can't come back to the U.S. and gather up my stuff to live there. I'd be there premanantly. And,then I assume I'd have to close the U.S. case first before we even do anything in Canada? sigh. I'm so confused.

If you have some vacation time or emergency leave time at work, I'd suggest you take a week or two and go to Canada. You needn't apply for anything just yet. You can visit Canada with your passport only, nothing more. Go and be with your SO now. You can return to the US after 2 weeks and continue to sort things out but I think it's important that you go visit your SO now if possible.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

I have NO clue about Canadian immigration. I've tried many times to get a grasp of it but it completely confuses me. Can you guys help? How does an Outside App work?

Outside is very fast right now (I did it in 3 months) and while it was pending, I came in as a visitor. You would come up and marry, then file from outside using a U.S. address (maybe parents?). We filed April 18, I had the visa July 15. The problem (and difference) between inside/outside is that with Inside you'd be permitted to work while you wait, outside, you wouldn't until you got the PR and then the Social #. Not sure if you have funds to support yourself for that time ? With Inside App you can't travel though.... just wanted you to know that.

Married 12-30-05

I-130

11-06-06 Medical

HOME SWEET HOME

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lyric,

Canada allows two ways for spouses to immigrate to Canada and become a Landed Permanent Resident (LPR). The first way is for the application to be processed outside of Canada (at the Canadian consulate in Buffalo, actually) for an American spouse who is living outside of Canada. You want to apply for the second option - applying while living inside Canada. Basically, you marry your Canadian fiance and apply together - he as your sponsor - for you to become a Canadian permanent resident. Spouses do not need to meet a minimum income standard. You will be able to live in Canada while the application is being processed. You will find all of the information at http://www.cic.gc.ca.

As well, if your fiance has been working he has been making contributions to the Canada Pension Plan which has a disability component. He can apply for CPP Disability benefits which will provide him with a base income.

Definitely have him contact his Member of Parliament's office. They will have all of the forms available, will be able to help him and you fill them out for immigration, make copies, certify documents, let you know what step you need to do next. They can also help with the application for CPP disability benefits. You may also be able to qualify for compassinate and humanitarian processing of your immigrant application, but the MPs office would know and be able to assist.

Aslso check out the Canadian Cancer Society link that you received.

You don't want to incur cancer medical expenses in the US. I had an unexpected 2 day hospital stay earlier this summer that required a number of tests - the bill topped $16,000. Insurance is paying a good amount - but not all - of that. Even if his cancer is covered under your own medical insurance you will still have your copays and whatever percentages that youhave to pay. It adds up very quickly. It is much much much better for him to stay in Canada. Join him there. Good luck to you both.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline
Basically, you marry your Canadian fiance and apply together - he as your sponsor - for you to become a Canadian permanent resident. Spouses do not need to meet a minimum income standard. You will be able to live in Canada while the application is being processed. You will find all of the information at http://www.cic.gc.ca.

Canada seems like a very immigrant friendly country. Bravo! :thumbs: I'd move there myself if they had better job opportunities. :P

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Lyric,

Canada allows two ways for spouses to immigrate to Canada and become a Landed Permanent Resident (LPR). The first way is for the application to be processed outside of Canada (at the Canadian consulate in Buffalo, actually) for an American spouse who is living outside of Canada. You want to apply for the second option - applying while living inside Canada. Basically, you marry your Canadian fiance and apply together - he as your sponsor - for you to become a Canadian permanent resident. Spouses do not need to meet a minimum income standard. You will be able to live in Canada while the application is being processed. You will find all of the information at http://www.cic.gc.ca.

As well, if your fiance has been working he has been making contributions to the Canada Pension Plan which has a disability component. He can apply for CPP Disability benefits which will provide him with a base income.

Definitely have him contact his Member of Parliament's office. They will have all of the forms available, will be able to help him and you fill them out for immigration, make copies, certify documents, let you know what step you need to do next. They can also help with the application for CPP disability benefits. You may also be able to qualify for compassinate and humanitarian processing of your immigrant application, but the MPs office would know and be able to assist.

Aslso check out the Canadian Cancer Society link that you received.

You don't want to incur cancer medical expenses in the US. I had an unexpected 2 day hospital stay earlier this summer that required a number of tests - the bill topped $16,000. Insurance is paying a good amount - but not all - of that. Even if his cancer is covered under your own medical insurance you will still have your copays and whatever percentages that youhave to pay. It adds up very quickly. It is much much much better for him to stay in Canada. Join him there. Good luck to you both.

Okay, now the problem is that he needs to find new living arrangements. We can't live in the situation he's in right now. We'd need our own new small place to live. There is NO way he is going to have me living with him and a roommate in a one bedroom apt. It's already cramped as it is and so forth..plus I think it's rather expensive to begin with.

The other issue is that I got divorced last year. I read that getting married in Ontario takes a letter from a lawyer on our behalf, stating we should be able to marry, which costs about $250 then he has to send it to the office that issues marriage certificates. I read that this process can take up to two and a half months before we can even be 'ok'd' to marry. Anyone familiar with this?

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

lyric, I don't know the answer on the divorce question but there is a nice forum (similar to vj)

roadtocanada.com

everyone there is knowledgable and friendly. If you don't get your answer here, try there...you have to sign up to post, with your isp (not hotmail or yahoo)

I am heading out for thanksgiving dinner, I am more than happy to help you later with any of your canada immigration questions if you want, i just completed the process...

Married 12-30-05

I-130

11-06-06 Medical

HOME SWEET HOME

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.