Lyric

=(((((( Fiance just found out he has cancer

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Lyric,

I offer you my sympathies and hope things get better soon for your SO.

However, I think you are going about this the wrong way.

He should NOT be coming to the US. You should be immigrating to Canada.

When he is most in need of medical insurance, you want to bring him over to the US where he will get no coverage? You need to see him through the national health care system of Canada.

I'd get on the next flight to Canada and be with him. US citizens can visit Canada no problem. You should be with him in Canada, not trying to find ways to bring him into US faster. Will his cancer magically disappear once he's in the US? No. How will you get medical insurance for this pre-existing condition? It'll be practically impossible. A real solution is for you to go to Canada.

Best wishes on his recovery.

Believe me, I've thought of this as well. However, I can't just pick up and go live with him. He is in a cramped apt. with a roommate and it's not an ideal situation for me to just go into, at all. Not only that but how are we supposed to afford to live up there as well? I won't be able to just start work there. He's not going to be able to work before long and we will have no way to pay living expenses. We really have no one to lean on up there, exept maybe one friend. At least here I have some family and friends. Even though they all live two or more hours away from me. they're sitll here and I still have a job.

I just don't know what to do. I'm frantically researching cancer hospitals and possible assistance. I'm just really, really stressed. But I do appreciate any and all suggestions.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am so sorry to hear about you and your beloved. Please put everything in God's hand and he will take care of it. Things will work out great. Hold on to love and god.

Sorry I can't be of any other help. (F)

Edited by desperatewife

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Immigration and everything else should take a back seat to getting treatment for the cancer. It won't matter how close you are to friends and relatives or how comfortable you are with the living arrangements if the cancer doesn't get the treatment it needs. Top priority here has to be staying alive. I very much doubt you'll get better treatment for it here without insurance even if you find some type of assistance.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline
Immigration and everything else should take a back seat to getting treatment for the cancer. It won't matter how close you are to friends and relatives or how comfortable you are with the living arrangements if the cancer doesn't get the treatment it needs. Top priority here has to be staying alive. I very much doubt you'll get better treatment for it here without insurance even if you find some type of assistance.

I agree that treatment for the cancer and staying alive is the top priority. However, I know for a fact that me being with him during all this is going to be key in his treatment and hopefully recovery :( I just don't know how we're supposed to do that and still be able to have the financial means to survive. I guess we may have to see about him finding some sort of living accomodations there that the Canadian governent would assist him with. Seeing that he won't be able to work and if I can somehow come up there and marry him and try to adjust status while being there. I just don't know. Either way we go, we're screwed in the finance department and trying to have the money to pay for food and any other necessary expenses.

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline

Lyric,

I haven't read all the posts - but I see that there is discussion of if you should go to Canda or if he should come here. Also health insurance is being discussed. I would like to address US health insurance. Back 5 years ago I was engaged to a lovely man. After we were engaged and before we were married, he was also diagnosed with cancer. He had health insurance that he paid for individually (not through work) and I had health insurance from my employer as an individual. My company also offered family plans. We decided to marry. The same day that we marryed I called to my health insurance carrier told them I was married and changed my plan from individual to family. My husband was covered from the day of our marriage, pre existing condition did not matter as we were married. He made the decision to keep his insurance which was considered "primary" and my insurance became his "secondary". If he was in the hospital at the time of our marriage as an inpatient then my insurance would not of covered him until he was discharged from that hospital visit. I knew all of this as I called to my insurance company and asked specific questions about coverage prior to us marrying. My husband lived for just over 2 years. I loved and supported him as I knew he would of done for me. I was blessed with having him in my life. It was very difficult working, seeing doctors and caring for him. But the strain was reduced as I had support from my employer when I needed to leave early or go late to work due to numerous doctors visits and hospital stays. Insurance - his and mine was never a problem. As I said he was covered with my insurance from the moment we married as he was not within the hospital. But for example, say we married on day 1 of a 4 day hospital stay. His insurance from my company would of began on day 5 - the day after he was discharged. From that day 5 into the future he would of been covered for all the future health care, tests and hospital stays. The pre existing for him only mattered in the fact that there was no existing hospital stay. I hope that this is helpful to you and your fiance as you make the decisions that are best for the both of you for the journey that has been put before you. I wish you both the very best in every way imaginable with much strength, love and faith in each other.

Timeline

I don't think there is any way for my insurance to cover him now. I assume he will have to get surgery and start treatment, very soon. I don't know why they would wait. I don't even know that we could afford to live once extra money is taken out of my paycheck for his portion of the health insurance. This is all a horrific nightmare. It would take nothing less than a miracle for him to be able to come here, now. I've pretty much come to that realization today throughtout all the posts here.

The main thing is that he recovers. I pray that he will. It's just that I need to be with him, one way or another to care for him and be his support. I'm all he has and he is my world. :crying:

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

::hug:: I'm sorry you and your fiance' are facing these challenges. I realize that immigration denial is probably the least of your fears right now, but my understanding is that they probably won't deny the visa because of his illness, as it is not communicable. I will keep you two in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you the best of luck in this difficult time (F)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Other Timeline

cshell is correct. Don't assume that your health insurance coverage won't cover your husband due to a Pre-X. Do you work for a large company who is in a large group? Or even a small company who is in a large group? The larger the group, the less likely they are to care about pre-existing conditions.

You sound like you are looking for a way to sort this logically. As John said, health concerns come first....but maybe you're the kind of person who needs to solve a problem from a logical standpoint. If that's the case I might suggest this:

Make two lists: one pros and one cons.

Put down known facts on each side. Not suppositions, conjecture or things you are unsure about. I'd suggest this list include what social benefits may be available to your fiance in his country. There may be a 'safety net' in Canada for people in need....I don't know but I bet he will.

Maybe preparing the list will help you see a horrible emotional situation more clearly.

I understand where you are coming from and can empathize with you. And I wish you peace with your decision.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I put Lucero on my insurance and there were no questions about preexisting conditions. I think that is the beauty of being part of a group health care plan. I have known others that married pregnant women and had the birth covered. I really don't think this is an issue.

From the little that I know you might still be better off in Canada. Even with insurance the American medical system can be quite cruel.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Timeline

I work at a very small office. Four full time people and 2 part time. I know one company we USED to have when I started working there would not cover anything to do with my back because I had been hurt in a car accident in 2004. I thought that was beyond rediculous. My boss actually sells health insurance and I have always heard her tell potential clients that if a woman is pregnant and trying to buy the insurance they will not cover. As far as what we have now? I'm not sure about pre-existing but I'm fairly certain they're pretty strict about it. Maybe I should just ask my boss about it. Then again I hate talking to anyone about this yet as I don't know even know all the details at present time. :( I'm going to try and find out more today as to what he and I are dealing with.

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Lyric, my heart goes out to you and your fiance.

Rebeccajo has made a very good suggestion. You need to learn the facts and sort out your options. I know, I know... easy for me to say... I'm sure it is tremendously difficult because right now you just want to be there for him. But taking care now may make the next few months/years more manageable in the long run.

Although it sounds scary to move and not be able to earn money, you may be in a situation where it is more practical to think in terms of minimizing debt. For example, if your fiance will be "covered" medically in Canada and not in the US, it may be much better for you both financially to move there even if you can't work (at least not for a while).

What others are saying about policies covering new spouses may be true of yours, too. My insurance covers both my husband and my stepson. Both have had substantial dental work done in the past year, and our son had surgery this summer for a pre-existing condition. They were covered for all of that at the same level I would have been, with no questions asked. I was very surprised and happy. Please do check into your coverage yourself. No offense to your boss, but this information is WAY too important not to talk to the insurance company yourself.

Best wishes!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Timeline

I did check directly with my health insurance carrier. They don't have issue with pre-existing condition afterall. However, there is no way I can afford to pay the extra money per month to add him on. It's just not possible. Always something.

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Lyric, I don't mean to sound rude, but even before you found out your fiance has cancer, weren't you considering additional expenses, like medical? I know that finding out information like a loved one having cancer is such a burden, but you have to go through the hard times, knowing what the worst scenario is but looking forward to the best.

Also, I'm guessing you have a cosponsor? Could your cosponsor help you out until things become a little more settled? That's what they're there for, afterall.

You're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope everything turns out ok without too many hard decisions to make.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.