Jacob707

POE Houston Spanish OK? how long?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi anyone know If its ok if my fiance speaks basically no english (spanish only), and shell be entering in houston alone?....i had her ticket booked with mine but the third party booking agency just canceled her tickets on me , and of course there are no more tickets available on the same flight i will be on ......also, how long it takes to pass customs/immigration?........ My fiancee is flying into houston with a 1 hr 45min layover.... is this enough time? I know from past experience, in Houston in particular it can take almost that long without the extra poe wait....

Timeline

to clarify , i booked my flight months ago directly with the airline, then recently after she got her visa, i booked hers on the same flight as my return but through a third party book agency despegar.com, and a few days ago they cancelled her ticket..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi anyone know If its ok if my fiance speaks basically no english (spanish only), and shell be entering in houston alone?....i had her ticket booked with mine but the third party booking agency just canceled her tickets on me , and of course there are no more tickets available on the same flight i will be on ......also, how long it takes to pass customs/immigration?........ My fiancee is flying into houston with a 1 hr 45min layover.... is this enough time? I know from past experience, in Houston in particular it can take almost that long without the extra poe wait....

IAH is an enormous airport. Is that her final destination? If she is clearing immigration/ customs at Houston to then go to another city, 1:45 is not enough. She will miss her flight. Plus, in order for you to be covered you must book layovers of a minimum of 2 hours. So book it 2:30 hours at a minimum. Spanish is ok, she'll be helped by a bilingual officer.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

Yeah thats the time frame i was thinking......shes prepared to have to catch the next flight they can get her on, i just went through the same thing a couple months ago .....its a pain but at least the airlines get you on your way quickly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yeah thats the time frame i was thinking......shes prepared to have to catch the next flight they can get her on, i just went through the same thing a couple months ago .....its a pain but at least the airlines get you on your way quickly

But like I said, you must book 2 hours or more between flights. If not, is at their discretion to rebook you on another flight. If they do is simply because they have enough seats available to do that. Imagine if they don't....

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

But like I said, you must book 2 hours or more between flights. If not, is at their discretion to rebook you on another flight. If they do is simply because they have enough seats available to do that. Imagine if they don't....

Her flight is with United, 2 months ago i had a similar issue with united where the flight connection in houston was only 45 minutes and i had to go through customs, and i told the united salesman theres no way i would make the flight, he simply said go to the counter after customs they would het me on the next one...... Long story short i got into a bit of an argument with an officer in the secondary security after id waited over an hour for no good reason, so i waited ( detained) 3 more hours , after all that i just went to the counter and said it took awhile in customs and just like the salesman said they put me on the next one no questions asked......

My POE was almost three years ago, (so things may have changed) but I had a 4 hour layover in Houston and was glad I did. Just getting from the plane to the immigration desk took about an hour (most of that was waiting in line in the immigration hall). Then I spent another 50 minutes or so in the back room waiting to be processed. Then I had to go through customs, go back through security, find my way to the departure gate etc.

For anyone using Houston as a POE, I'd recommend a 3 hour minimum layover.

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Update..... Everything went great she did miss her booked flight but then caught one right after that....... Noone spoke spanish, but it was ok.......thanks
Congratulations, si man! However, it's curious that "no one" spoke Spanish. My experience has sometimes been that it's difficult to find an agent who doesn't speak English with a strong Hispanic-country-of-origin accent.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

No kiddin'. As I recall even many of the PA system announcements are english/spanish

Congratulations, si man! However, it's curious that "no one" spoke Spanish. My experience has sometimes been that it's difficult to find an agent who doesn't speak English with a strong Hispanic-country-of-origin accent.

i don't get it.

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I just came across this thread. I know it is old, but for anyone else who might be concerned.

In my signature (down below) is a link where you can find the statistics on airport processing times by hour, month, season, or whatever for various POE's.

As far as translation, my then-fiance was talked to in really, REALLY bad Spanish. When Carlos couldn't understand him, this was the sarcastic response: "No pwe-dess hahblahhrr esspanyole???" Carlos responded (in Spanish) with, "Yes, I can, but, you can't." It was very frustrating. It is probably a good idea to practice some basic airport-English before heading over here.

As large of a percentage of natural Spanish-speakers as we have here, not enough are working in higher level professional jobs that lack of translation assistance is a very common problem. I work in a hospital and use my dance-around-the-vocabulary to translate all the time.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.