guest123

Income Tax During K3 Process

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I was wondering if I'm still considered "Single" for income tax returns, while I'm waiting for my wife's K3 process.

Thanks!

K3 VISA PROCESS

08/10 - I130 - Mailed to VSC

08/14 - I130 - Received by VSC

08/19 - I130 - Received NOA1 (I-797C)

08/22 - I129F - Mailed to Chicago

08/23 - I130 - Touched

08/24 - I130 - Touched

08/25 - I129F - Received by Chicago

08/29 - I130 - Touched

09/02 - I129F - Received NOA1 (I-797C)

09/05 - I129F - Touched

09/11 - I129F - Touched

09/12 - I129F - Touched

10/23 - I129F - Transferred to VSC

11/01 - I129F - Received by VSC

11/02 - I129F - Touched

11/03 - I129F - Touched

11/04 - I129F - Touched

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I was wondering if I'm still considered "Single" for income tax returns, while I'm waiting for my wife's K3 process.

Thanks!

I believe that answer is that you are married. Technically I think your filing status would probably be married filing seperate if you are not including her on your return

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I posed this very question to my accountant recently. He did some research and being married, even though my husband does not live in the US and has no social security number or income here, I will have to claim most of 2006 as married filing separately. Most likely he won't even be working in the US until the beginning of 2007 since he has to file AOS and EAD once he arrives here on K3.

K3 Visa

03/26/06 Wedding day!!

waiting for documents to be translated and sent to me in US

05/21/06 Return to Egypt to visit for 9 wonderful days!

06/06/06 I-130 sent (finally!!)

07/12/06 NOA1

10/02/06 Approved!!!

07/20/06 I129f sent

07/24/06 NOA1

09/27/06 I129f approved!!!!

10/06/06 At NVC and case # assigned. Woohoo!!!

10/10/06 NVC sent K3 documents to Cairo today!!!

10/15/06 K3 documents received at Cairo consulate.

10/29/06 Packet 3 received.

11/01/06 Medical appointment

11/08/06 Medical certificate received

11/10/06 Packet 3 sent by delivery service

11/12/06 Packet received at consulate

02/05/07 Interview Date

02/16/07 10 day trip to Egypt

06/25/07 Home visit by field investigator

01/14/08 Got the email to send in his passport for visa!!!!

01/28/08 VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!

03/17/08 Arrival in USA!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

and also, the non-US spouse will likely have to get an ITIN from the IRS, and fill out a form to say that their income will not be included. Any tax preparer (ie: HR Block) or accountant should have these forms, or should know where to find them.

There are benefits to filing as married, even if you file married filing separately. My hubby got a fairly big refund the years that we were separated, but married.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are married, you must file as married filing seperately or married filing joint... you cannot file single, even if your spouse is a non-resident alien

If you file married filing joint, you can take the option of treating your spouse as a resident alien for the tax year (and subsequently have their worldwide income subject to US taxation).. however, if you do it, you can't go back...

Depending on how much your spouse makes and can be excluded from the 1040 (less than $80,000), you would probably get a bigger refund if you were to file as married filing joint. (A person who lives outside the US and gets foreign income can exclude up to $80,000 of their worldwide income from taxation)

Of course, you'd have to get a ITIN for your spouse. You do this by filing a W-7 with your return and sending it to the Philadephia Tax Center.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My hubby filed as single during our K3 process, mainly due to his "laziness" of getting the ITIN and stuff :P No problem at all with IRS or with USCIS. When we did AOS, the officer didn't even look at the filing status for the previous year, she mainly concerned with how much he made and how many dependents he had.

There are some advantages of filing married, even if it's separately, but I just want to share my experience that we didn't have any problems even with filing single.

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My hubby filed as single during our K3 process, mainly due to his "laziness" of getting the ITIN and stuff :P No problem at all with IRS or with USCIS. When we did AOS, the officer didn't even look at the filing status for the previous year, she mainly concerned with how much he made and how many dependents he had.

There are some advantages of filing married, even if it's separately, but I just want to share my experience that we didn't have any problems even with filing single.

The USCIS won't care. The IRS won't care unless you get audited and it becomes known as a part of the review.

YMMV

In this case filling as single won't get him too much into problem as he won't be owning IRS anything, if anything else and he has to change his status to Married while being audited, IRS actually would have to send him a bigger refund check assuming his wife overseas income is not overboard like being in (UK or EU countries i would say, but for most other countries i doubt the spouse income will be high enough to create any major headache)

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Hmm, really? When I called the IRS about this directly on Friday, they said just to write NRA in the SSN box and write a statement saying my husband is not a citizen or a PR and has never had any income from the US. Nothing about a W-9 or anything. And I just mailed them out today. Blahhh.

Filed: Timeline

Becky&Sam,

You can file married joint if you wish - I did, while my wife was still living in her country, and it saved me a bundle.

Work the numbers both ways.

Yodrak

I posed this very question to my accountant recently. He did some research and being married, even though my husband does not live in the US and has no social security number or income here, I will have to claim most of 2006 as married filing separately. Most likely he won't even be working in the US until the beginning of 2007 since he has to file AOS and EAD once he arrives here on K3.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
In this case filling as single won't get him too much into problem as he won't be owning IRS anything, if anything else and he has to change his status to Married while being audited, IRS actually would have to send him a bigger refund check assuming his wife overseas income is not overboard like being in (UK or EU countries i would say, but for most other countries i doubt the spouse income will be high enough to create any major headache)

:yes:

Filing single while you are married will only put IRS in advantage. My income back then was not high enough to even be considered here. If they audit us, we will be waiting for them to send us some checks. I doubt that they will though :P

Filing married while you are single is another story.

Edited by Garfield fan

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

My husband is still overseas, but we filed married, filing jointly for 2005. I had him sign, and applied for an ITN for him. That was back in April and I just got the ITN last week. It can take a while. I have to file state taxes (already paid, but not filed) by this month, so it was nice to get the ITN. I also saved a bundle by claiming an unemployed spouse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.