David_Marie

Living with in Laws

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Guys,

I have just one simple questions i need answer from those of you who are living with the in laws.

What are the things i should expect when living with the in laws? I am just waiting for my visa,i'll fly to the USA in Utah this Month. I'm a lilttle unhappy and nervous I know i don't like it but i have no choice. I love my future Husband so much but we cant afford to get our own place just yet...Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated

Thanks so much

Marie

living with in laws or living with someone else in the same house is not easy just try to fit yourself in and love your in laws then i think everything will be fine... by the way il be in Utah too soon, see you there lol :)

All I know, is that I need you... I need you in my life as much as I need food or water or air to breathe - for the longest time, I've had this thirst deep inside... only to be known and understood and be loved for who I am. I have longed for someone, someone like you - to share my life with... all the ups and downs and everything in between. then out of no where - you walked into my life, quenching my thirst, satisfying my longing. and I know from every thing with in - that you are the one... you're the one I've been waiting for all this time. I want and I need you - more than I can usually find words to say... But today and always - please believe and know that you're the one for me and I'll hold you close and I'll never want to let you go...

June 2010: Met online via dating site

Oct.25,2010: He came here to meet me and my family and proposed in a lunch organized by my sister and me of course!

Nov.6, 2010: He went back to US

April 26, 2011: Came back for our wedding

May 17, 2011: The big day!!! We finally exchanged "I DO's"

Aug. 8, 2011: Sent complete Package of I-130

Aug. 26,2011: NOA1 (it was a very stressful long wait!)

March 1, 2012: NOA2 the moment we've been waiting finally here!!!

March 20, 2012: I called NVC got our MNL case# and IIN and sent my DS3032 via email

March 22, 2012: Received 2 Emails from NVC PAOSF I-130 and ACL

March 24, 2012: AOS paid online

March 27, 2012: AOS PAYMENT ACCEPTED

april 04, 2012: AOS PACKAGE ON ITS WAY TO NVC

April 04, 2012: IV bill paid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

depends on the in-laws.. it's no fun to share a home, especially when you practically have no rights to anything there.. everything belongs to them in the end of the day, no matter how nice they are to you.

we've been living with my husbands parents for over 3 years now and the day that we move out can't come fast enough!! they are nice to me, but two families can't live under one roof for too long.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

After living on my own (then with my now husband), living with anyone would suck (in my opinion). I love my privacy, & ability to whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

I do understand some don't have a choice. Just keep saving money to get your own place.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Timeline

I lived with my wife's parents for a bit in the US, and she lived with mine for a bit here in Norway.

I'll tell you one thing - It has its ups and downs.

If you get along well with your in laws, it's fine for a while. But don't let it drag on too long. You'll be two families under one roof, and the house and rules will always be theirs and on their terms.

Timeline

It can be both a blessing and a curse! Just depends on individuals and their living arrangement. I had lived with my ex wife parents and I had no issue at all. They were more of a blessing as she had a child and they helped very much when we were at work. True that privacy is limited but again when you have kids..your late night all over the house rendevouz does not happen often.. Good luck

It can be both a blessing and a curse! Just depends on individuals and their living arrangement. I had lived with my ex wife parents and I had no issue at all. They were more of a blessing as she had a child and they helped very much when we were at work. True that privacy is limited but again when you have kids..your late night all over the house rendevouz does not happen often.. Good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

honestly we had to do it in an emergency situation. we've lived with them for a year..never ever again..if you dont have to do it..dont.

i thought we got along well, but after a few months little things started to bug both families. after 6 months i was losing my temper. no privacy. no knocking..and even though they gave us a room its still technically theirs so they think they can just barge in and snoop whenever they want. my mother in law barged in on a sunday morning while i was naked even!

I'm almost 40, and i got very tired of being told how to do things, like clean, cook etc for me and my husband. i'm not a child and yet they kept treating us like children.

i've had a nervous breakdown, walked out and started to hitchhike back home until my husband found me in the pouring rain and dragged me back. Needless to say now that we are moving out in two weeks (finally got out house) i think we've burn every bridge possible with them.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

honestly we had to do it in an emergency situation. we've lived with them for a year..never ever again..if you dont have to do it..dont.

i thought we got along well, but after a few months little things started to bug both families. after 6 months i was losing my temper. no privacy. no knocking..and even though they gave us a room its still technically theirs so they think they can just barge in and snoop whenever they want. my mother in law barged in on a sunday morning while i was naked even!

I'm almost 40, and i got very tired of being told how to do things, like clean, cook etc for me and my husband. i'm not a child and yet they kept treating us like children.

i've had a nervous breakdown, walked out and started to hitchhike back home until my husband found me in the pouring rain and dragged me back. Needless to say now that we are moving out in two weeks (finally got out house) i think we've burn every bridge possible with them.

oh how i hear you... the barging in, the no knocking, the constant questions about stuff that is completely irrelevant to them, sometimes i feel like walking, but we live in the boonies and if i start walking the highway, a truck driver will stop and think i'm a prostitute ahahah

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

oh how i hear you... the barging in, the no knocking, the constant questions about stuff that is completely irrelevant to them, sometimes i feel like walking, but we live in the boonies and if i start walking the highway, a truck driver will stop and think i'm a prostitute ahahah

:devil:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Living with my inlaws is what almost destroyed my marriage. I hope it will work out for you or you can find your own place soon :blink:

Love is patient and kind;

it is not jealous or conceited or proud;

love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable;

love does not keep a record of wrongs;

love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth.

Love never gives up; and its faith, hope, and patience never fail.

Love is eternal.

inloveforeveryouandmet.jpg

TimeLine:

02-29-08: Met Online

04-26-08: Told eachother how we felt

10-24-08: Went to America

12-01-09: Engaged

01-17-09: Bought the ring

01-21-09: Back to Holland =[

03-10-09: Petition send

03-16-09: NOA1

08-11-09: NOA2!!!! Finally!!!!

08-20-09: Package 3

09-10-09: Package 3 send to Consulate

09-17-09: Package 4

10-01-09: Medical + Xray

10-13-09: Interview!!!!!! Approved!!!!!!

10-15-09: Visa Arrived!!!!

11-20-09: US Entry

01-30-10: Marriage

02-13-10: Honeymoon to South Carolina

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We lived with my in-laws for 2 months in early 2010. We haven't spoken to MIL since then (May/June 2010) and i don't talk to either of the SIL's, and FIL DOES talk to hubby but only on occasion when he can "sneak" over without MIL knowing. We also don't speak to maternal grandmother-in-law either for various reasons.

My in-laws are awful people. Tony did warn me but I just thought he was exaggerating, no-one could be THAT bad.. no they're worse. NEVER again.

It really depends on the people though. I suggest you save and get out as soon as possible. I have no doubt I would not have seen that side to my in-laws had we not lived with them and they'd still be in our lives.. to some degree.

Timeline

Living with my inlaws is what almost destroyed my marriage. I hope it will work out for you or you can find your own place soon :blink:

It's definitely taken a toll on my relationship.. and though i kept my mouth shut for a looooooong time and after We finally got married, the flood gates opened and I started stating my opinion more clearly.. and I feel bad for my poor hubby when he has to listen to me running my mouth, but God willing, soon things will be under my control :)

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's definitely taken a toll on my relationship.. and though i kept my mouth shut for a looooooong time and after We finally got married, the flood gates opened and I started stating my opinion more clearly.. and I feel bad for my poor hubby when he has to listen to me running my mouth, but God willing, soon things will be under my control :)

I was exactly the same way. I dont know what infuriated my hsuband more, my bitching to his parents directly or to him about all the ####### they do to piss me off. Or that i was in a perma bad mood all the time. I think my anger hit an all time high living here. He even commented on how i was NOT the same woman he married two years ago :( Thankfully we will be out of here in two weeks. Otherwise, i dont think my marriage would survive.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline
:unsure::crying: Awww Im Praying my MIL or my soon to be situation with MIL will be different from all of the replies above... Thanks everyone for the response but knowing myself i can put up with almost anything and i'd say come what may coz i really have no choice but at least now i know what to expect....thanks again

Timeline

Wow, sorry to hear about all the antagonism in these stories. It just depends on the people, and you. The most important thing is clear communication and everyone being a team player. If you have little underhanded power struggles going on that you can't talk about then it will lead to a blow-up.

I lived with my inlaws in the Philippines for several months the first time and only a couple months the second time because we traveled so much the second time. But it was a riot. Lots of laughter and fun. I couldn't care less if my mother in law saw me stark naked. When my wife moved here I had an old college drinking buddy living here, never paying rent on time and being a lazy bum. I had to evict him, and we have never spoken since. What a retard - I bring my pregnant wife home and he thinks he can boss her around her own kitchen, throw her out of the bathroom, and try to stir up trouble between us. Making fun of both of us for her cooking a nice meal for me. Oh really? Here's your eviction notice. It was impossible to talk to the guy because he was such a manipulative jerk.

Edited by rlogan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.