donatus

my wife have a criminal record

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

my wife had a criminal case involving using a fake check and was sentenced and she had served her prison sentence.she has just petitioned our l130 and we have received notification from usics.pls i want to know if her criminal record will affect our petition and if the usics will reguire further documents from her and if so what the documents should be so we can get it ready now till when they request for it.Thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

my wife had a criminal case involving using a fake check and was sentenced and she had served her prison sentence.she has just petitioned our l130 and we have received notification from usics.pls i want to know if her criminal record will affect our petition and if the usics will reguire further documents from her and if so what the documents should be so we can get it ready now till when they request for it.Thanks

Is she the petitioner or the beneficiary?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Is she the petitioner or the beneficiary?

This is an important question. If she's the USC, then it shouldn't cause major problems.

If she's the foreign spouse, she might get denied if the CO considers the offense a crime of moral turpitude.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

She will need to include the Police Report and Court Record of the incident.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You say she has served her sentence , meaning that she is out of jail either with or without probation ? As long as she has served her term and stays out of trouble it should not affect your petition especially that you seem fully aware of what happened. Is your wife a USC or a permanent resident ? If she isn't a USC that could affect her ability to stay in the US which would affect your ability to come here.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

ok thanks so much my wife is a US Citizen.pls i want to know if the court record can be obtained at the court because its over 10 years now since she has served her prison term.And since its over 10 years now would usics stil request for the police report and court record since she has not had any more criminal case.

She will need to include the Police Report and Court Record of the incident.

Wrong, only intending immigrant needs to include when AOSing. USC spouse doesn't need to include anything else than required forms/pictures.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Wrong, only intending immigrant needs to include when AOSing. USC spouse doesn't need to include anything else than required forms/pictures.

You're wrong also...

Nobody is asking about Adjusting Status here. This is for filing an I-130 Petition for an Alien Relative.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

thanks guys

Just to clarify, the only kind of criminal record for the US Citizen that will cause a petition denial is one that includes sex crimes against children. (Adam Walsh Act) Once the petition is approved, as long as there's a qualified sponsor, and bona fide relationship, all eyes are on the intending immigrant.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.