mayomayo

Should we get divorced?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed that adds nothing to the topic.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Personally it sounds to me like you're not ready to be "truly" married.. "truly" being the way the government expects it to be.

I agree with a previous post that said if you file joint taxes and share a bank account and all that you stand a CHANCE... albeit I believe a small one.

Bear in mind this decision (to divorce) also affect the period for when she can apply for USC (5 years as opposed to 3 years).

The best way to determine whether you're going to successfully ROC jointly is to look at a list of "joint" documents that you have.

- Joint address? No

- Married filing jointly taxes?

- Joint bank accounts?

- Wills naming each other?

- Joint health insurance?

- Joint bills?

- Evidence of trips together?

- Anything else joint?

I do recall at least one couple on VJ successfully ROC'd together even though they were separated and I tried to find the thread but I couldn't sorry. It's up to you to decide which way you want to go. If you're okay with divorcing then do it. YOU know it's not the end of your relationship, it's just the termination of a marriage which you've admitted isn't working too well at the moment anyway and you've gone back to "dating". Nothing wrong with that. You can just re-marry when you're ready to fully commit to each other, or not! Whatever you want to do.

Personally I would divorce and ROC separately. It's the safest choice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The marriage was definitely in "good faith.". We were married and lived together for over a year, but needed some time apart. We still want to be together - we just don't want to live in the same physical space at this moment. We plan to do so again in the future. This is a personal decision that fits what we both need emotionally and mentally right now. The question is, will immigration authorities see this as an "acceptable" marriage as we do, or will they see it as fraud? We want to play by the books, but we don't want playing by the rules to mean that our case is not believed.

We can't really say what will the immigration officers think about it, there is a lot of fraud going on, the most important is NEVER LIE to them, so that is really something you and your wife should figure out together. Just stop and think, you asked for a visa to live together with your spouse, but now you found out that you both need some time apart, that's ok, it's your decision, but from the immigration perspective (asking for a visa and waiting a long time to have it issued just to be together), it doesn't make sense, so unfortunately my guess is the officers would have a red flag. We as humans can understand we might have some hard times every once in a while, but then there are more things involved in your case right now...I wish the best for you and your spouse, I hope you can find a reasonable way through this!

Marriage: June 21, 2011

USCIS (179 days - 5 months and 27 days)

I-130 mailed: August 24, 2011

NOA1: September 1, 2011

Touched: September 6, 2011

NOA2: February 27, 2012

NVC - 30 days

NVC Received: March 05, 2012

NVC assigns case #: March 09, 2012

E-mailed choice of agent according to VJ's sample: March 13, 2012

Received AOS package and I-864 bill: March 14, 2012

Paid I-864 bill: March 15, 2012

I-864 bill status PAID: March 16, 2012

Mailed AOS package: March 19, 2012

NVC’s operator informed on the phone they accepted AOS package: March 23, 2012

Received checklist for the DS-3032: March 23, 2012 (the first electronic choice of agent didn’t get through…)

Resent electronic choice of agent to NVC: March 23, 2012

NVC accepts electronic choice of agent: March 26, 2012

IV bill invoiced: March 27, 2012

IV bill paid: March 28, 2012

IV bill status PAID: March 29, 2012

Mailed IV package: March 29, 2012

CASE COMPLETE: April 04, 2012

NVC left and interview scheduled: April 06, 2012

Interview date: May 30, 2012

Result: APPROVED!!!!

976029h8.png

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I saw a few cases the couples were living apart and the USCIS approved their GC. The couples were able to prove they were apart due circumstances beyond their control .The adjudicator said to one of the couples that he was approving the guy GC, because he proved he was in another State clearly for work purpose. The USCIS adjudicators use to pay attention how serious is the couple relationship. If the couple need to be apart for a while due work or education purpose, and since the marriage it not seems secondary to education or employment, then it's ok. I don't think your relationship fits the kind of relationship the USCIS consider "continuous". Good luck.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Do you have joint assets of any kind? Are you maintaining a joint bank account? Are you filling taxes together? If yes, these things may help you show you are still committed to the marriage. If you are essentially living seperate lives in different states, you may be in for an unhill battle. But its really impossible for us to say how USCIS is going to interpret your marriage.

I certainly would not rush into a divorce because it may be better when filling for ROC, not if you believe you may be able to work things out. January is still a long ways away, your life may be different then. Good luck to you both.

I agree with this.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The phrase that keeps ringing in my head is that your marriage does not have to be any more successful than anyone else's - our government does not, as a matter of law, demand that immigrant/USC or immigrant/resident marriages be any more successful than USC/USC marriages. Not all of us are good at being married. The government only requires that your marriage be entered into and lived with genuine marital intent, not for ulterior purpose, i.e. not for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. If USC/foreigner marriages were held to a higher standard as a matter of law, then it would not be permitted to remove conditions following a divorce, which one may.

The burden of proof remains on you as a couple to demonstrate that your marriage was entered into and conducted as a genuine one, a bona fide one. A conditional green card is premised on this anyhow - if you are divorced or separated, you may just face closer scrutiny, rightly or not - but of the same sort everyone removing conditional status faces.

If there are not a bunch of people on this site who have successfully gone down this path, then if you can find an immigration attorney with a really stellar track record, this might be a good time to pay for some advice about how best to demonstrate that you are acting in good faith, whether or not you ultimately divorce. Good luck to you both.

Heather, San Francisco, CA - USC Petitioner, for Peter, UK Beneficiary

CR-1 Visa Timeline Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Marriage: December 8, 2011

USCIS

01/07/2012: I-130 Sent to Phoenix Lockbox:

Service Center: California Service Center

01/13/2012 I-130 NOA1

05/22/2012: I-130 NOA2: APPROVED! (Approved 130 days from the NOA1 date)

09/05/2012: via phone: "Case complete"

10/17/2012: Interview date assigned.

U.S Embassy London

09/17/2012: Case received.

10/21/2012: Medical.

10/26/2012: Interview: APPROVED "Your visa has been approved. You're good to go.".

11/01/2012: Visa in hand.

11/04/2012: Port of entry: San Francisco

Note: Social Security card came one week after POE

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The phrase that keeps ringing in my head is that your marriage does not have to be any more successful than anyone else's - our government does not, as a matter of law, demand that immigrant/USC or immigrant/resident marriages be any more successful than USC/USC marriages. Not all of us are good at being married. The government only requires that your marriage be entered into and lived with genuine marital intent, not for ulterior purpose, i.e. not for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. If USC/foreigner marriages were held to a higher standard as a matter of law, then it would not be permitted to remove conditions following a divorce, which one may.

The burden of proof remains on you as a couple to demonstrate that your marriage was entered into and conducted as a genuine one, a bona fide one. A conditional green card is premised on this anyhow - if you are divorced or separated, you may just face closer scrutiny, rightly or not - but of the same sort everyone removing conditional status faces.

If there are not a bunch of people on this site who have successfully gone down this path, then if you can find an immigration attorney with a really stellar track record, this might be a good time to pay for some advice about how best to demonstrate that you are acting in good faith, whether or not you ultimately divorce. Good luck to you both.

Well said!

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Not speaking from experience here, and I will say that the government doesn't always side with common sense, but...

If you can marry in good faith, get divorced, and still be eligible for ROC, then I don't see why you can't marry in good faith, get separated and still be eligible for ROC. Plenty of people successfully ROC while divorced so if you have the same evidence of entering the marriage in good faith, I don't see how it matters what your relationship status is now.

Just a thought, not something I would advise simply for ROC, but if you wanted to explore couples counseling or even individual counseling to work on your relationship, it might help you show some evidence that you are committed to improving the relationship in your ROC case.

I can't say that I understand the situation you are in, but I can certainly empathize. People that have the luxury of living close often date for a very long time after realizing they love each other before they move in together or get married. I am sorry to hear that you have had challenges in your relationship after all you went through to be together, and I hope you are able to find your way back together.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm not really sure about specifics but I think if you also have good communication that is documented about your relationship you may help prove that you did not commit fraud. My ex-husband and I lived separate for over 6 months but we communicated on a daily basis. Maybe this is something that you could look into versus divorce which is pretty expensive being that you want to at this point try to keep your marriage alive, just not physically at this time. I wish you both good luck and appreciate your honesty.

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

My Wife will be up for removal of conditions in January. We are currently living in different states but see each other almost every weekend. She has not officially changed her address to her new address because we fear that the immigration interviewers will not believe we have a bonafide marriage. She also wants to get a job on the books in another state while I remain here. Will this set off a red flag? We want to keep our relationship as it is now. We love each other but living together did not work out. Is it better for us to get a divorce and have her apply separately? Is it better to stay together and explain the situation? Or is it better to keep her address and mine the same and wait until January for her to get a job?

I cannot provide any legal advice on this situation, but IMO it sounds like you have a bonafide marriage. In today's economy, it is normal for couples to live and work in different states as you have to go where the jobs are. And it's obvious from your posts that you both do love each other. If you didn't, you wouldn't be seeing each other every weekend. So unless either of you want a divorce, I would suggest to not divorce. This process is expensive enough without piling on those legal fees.

Just keep those tickets and receipts showing the frequency that you are together, and answer any questions that USCIS ask honestly. As to not being able to stand being together for a long period of time and the statement that you both plan on reconciling, it sounds like both of you have not made up your mind about being together or not. For this I would suggest not volunteering this as the reason for seperate addresses, but that your respective jobs are keeping you seperate at this time.

Just my 2 cents,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.