Laure&Colin

USC petitioner living abroad

682 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi chilegringa, I am thinking the same thing. Man, I wish I would have filed the petition 2 months earlier. We weren't married then, though, so I guess it wouldn't really have worked lol. Hopefully we can at least get NOA2 within the normal 5 month timeframe though. I can live with that but I'm really hoping it's not LONGER for some reason!! we have a big wedding "celebration" planned in the US for september 21, 2013, which I thought would be WELL within a feasible timeframe, but now who knows anymore!

at least, life in chile is pretty good. :)

Sucks huh?? I just keep thinking why didn't I do it earlier!! But then again, I couldn't either - we didn't want to petition it before we traveled to the US, just in case it looks suspicious or something, and then couldn't do it until my husband left the US - I will be back in Chile in a month, and while I was looking forward to being back in the US together after summer, at least I can easily be in Chile with my husband, so it's not THAT bad.. I just don't want to wait! I am just thankful that we can wait it out together at least :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi chilegringa, I am thinking the same thing. Man, I wish I would have filed the petition 2 months earlier. We weren't married then, though, so I guess it wouldn't really have worked lol. Hopefully we can at least get NOA2 within the normal 5 month timeframe though. I can live with that but I'm really hoping it's not LONGER for some reason!! we have a big wedding "celebration" planned in the US for september 21, 2013, which I thought would be WELL within a feasible timeframe, but now who knows anymore!

at least, life in chile is pretty good. :)

If they don't normally do any AP for Chileans then I think its completely reasonable to expect you will arrive in the US before your celebration in September. :)

USCIS I-130 Petition for Spouse

September 2012: Filed from abroad to Chicago Lockbox

4 days later: NOA1, Routed to California Service Center

7 days later: Transferred because of new jurisdiction

5 days later: Case Status changed to: Under processing at USCIS office

NOA2 arrived 78 days after NOA1 :)

*I-130 Approval Notice hardcopy finally received in Pakistan, the only notice that arrived.

Damn, that is bad news! Now I'm really kicking myself because I could have filed earlier. Well let's hope that the they've done this transfer of workload to speed up the normal process, so it might be slightly faster than those who didn't get expedited before.

Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

If they don't normally do any AP for Chileans then I think its completely reasonable to expect you will arrive in the US before your celebration in September. :)

I sure hope so! I mean, I think that would be the case. But this whole thing of USCIS maybe taking more than 5 months now, plus worrying about this or that other delay, is stressful. It should be fine (thanks for the reassurance!) but the whole thing that's stressful about this process is the uncertainty.

Chile seems to generally be pretty quick once you get to the consulate stage so hopefully everything's smooth sailing once we all get past this transfer nonsense.

Sept 1, 2012: Married in Chile (USC living abroad)
Sept 17, 2012: I-130 mailed to USCIS
Sept 20, 2012: I-130 received at California Service Center
Sept 27, 2012: I-130 transferred to Missouri
October 8, 2012: NOA1 hard copy received
October 13, 2012: Transfer hard copy received
December 5, 2012: NOA2 email received (I-130 approved)
December 17, 2012: NVC says they've received the case
December 28, 2012: NVC case number assigned
December 31, 2012: NVC email with AOS bill and DS-3032 received
January 2, 2013: DS-3032 emailed to NVC
January 2, 2013: AOS bill paid online
January 2, 2013: Received cover sheet for AOS by email
January 10, 2013: Received email confirmation for DS-3032
January 11, 2013: Received email invoice for IV bill
January 15, 2013: Mailed AOS packet from Chile
January 16, 2013: Paid IV bill and received email cover sheet for IV packet
January 16, 2013: Mailed IV packet
January 31, 2013: Received checklist asking for original docs even though docs were original
February 1, 2013: Asked for supervisor review
February 14, 2013: Supervisor approved our docs, said packet was sent to the embassy
February 20, 2013: Got case complete email from NVC
March 4, 2013: Got original instructions from NVC by snail mail, good thing we didn't wait, haha
March 6, 2013: Received interview date and instructions from NVC by email
April 17, 2013: Interview - approved!

Lifting Conditions

March 26, 2015: Filed with CSC

April 7, 2015 (ish?): Received NOA

July 9, 2015: Original Biometrics Appt

August 3, 2015: Returning to Chile to live happily ever after there...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello!

My wife (the USC) and I are planning on sending our I-130 soon from Belgium.

We were hoping to get our file expedited, but we missed the timeframe. No regret, as we got married later in August anyway.

Belgium depends on the Frankfurt USCIS field office. Do you think we should send our I-130 to Frankfurt directly? Or send it to the Chicago lockbox anyway, and wait for them to transfer it to NBC, and then to the appropriate field office?

I'm going to call Frankfurt soon anyway, so I'll post their answer here. If anyone has done that before, let us know!

And thank you all for your comments and posts, it's been extremely helpful so far! :-)

Belgium depends on the Frankfurt USCIS field office. Do you think we should send our I-130 to Frankfurt directly? Or send it to the Chicago lockbox anyway, and wait for them to transfer it to NBC, and then to the appropriate field office?

Unless you meet any of the exceptions (which are very difficult to do - check your embassy), you cannot send your I-130 to Frankfurt. Your petition will have to be sent to the Chicago Lockbox. I too, investigated this route, when I called the USCIS helpline to inquire how I would file. The customer service rep told me (very wrongly) to file my petition with the Athens embassy (I was living in Kuwait). Once I started digging further, BOTH embassies told me the only way to file was to send the petition to the Chicago Lockbox.

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Timeline

Unless you meet any of the exceptions (which are very difficult to do - check your embassy), you cannot send your I-130 to Frankfurt. Your petition will have to be sent to the Chicago Lockbox. I too, investigated this route, when I called the USCIS helpline to inquire how I would file. The customer service rep told me (very wrongly) to file my petition with the Athens embassy (I was living in Kuwait). Once I started digging further, BOTH embassies told me the only way to file was to send the petition to the Chicago Lockbox.

Thanks for your answer. That is indeed what I understood earlier, and what I was about to do (seemed pretty nice since most people filing from abroad got expedited and have between 7 and 20 days from NOA1 to NOA2), but that was before August 15th 2012, when USCIS changed a few things.

As explained on the USCIS website (I can't post links, sorry), and according to forum members experience who filed after August 15th, when you send your file to Chicago, USCIS transfer it to NBC (National Benefits Center, formerly Missouri Service Center), which then transfers it to the appropriate USCIS Field Office (and as they say, they will notice you they transferred the file, but wouldn't tell you to which Field Office). So, as Belgium supposedly depends on Frankfurt, my guess is it'd be transferred there, so should I send it there directly? Anyway, I'm going to call them on Monday to try clarifying this giant mess. :)

If anyone else is in that case, is lost, or has answer, please post here! (or should I start another thread maybe? Since the whole expedited thing does not work anymore)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

So is there no one who filed September and later who has gotten the NOA2 then?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

So, as Belgium supposedly depends on Frankfurt, my guess is it'd be transferred there, so should I send it there directly?

I think you are over-complicating the matter. Follow the instructions on your embassy website.

From what I understand, those who used their address abroad sent their petitions to the Chicago Lockbox. They were then routed to the NBC. Why would your petition be any different (genuine question, forgive me if it sounds rude)?

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Timeline

I think you are over-complicating the matter. Follow the instructions on your embassy website.

From what I understand, those who used their address abroad sent their petitions to the Chicago Lockbox. They were then routed to the NBC. Why would your petition be any different (genuine question, forgive me if it sounds rude)?

You don't sound rude. Before August 2012, petitions sent from abroad had to be sent to Chicago (and were then treated at CSC, and most if not all I-130s were approved within just a few days). From what I understand, people who sent their petitions after August 15th 2012 were not aware of the changes that took place that day. And since USCIS is now immediately transferring the petition to NBC whose job seems to be only to reroute the I-130s to the proper Field Office, I'm merely wondering if it wouldn't be easier (and time saving) to send it directly to the right Field Office.

When they change things, it's always a huge mess at first. That's what happened last year when they ended the DCF and had all petitions sent to the Chicago lockbox, resulting in the "expedited" approval of I-130s, since they couldn't handle the amount of work (that's my guess regarding why they changed it again).

I'm not sure if I'm very clear, I hope I am. :-)

Another thing is, those changes took effect on August 15th 2012, while the Belgium embassy page and the Frankfurt USCIS Field Office pages seem to have not been updated since June 1st.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You don't sound rude. Before August 2012, petitions sent from abroad had to be sent to Chicago (and were then treated at CSC, and most if not all I-130s were approved within just a few days). From what I understand, people who sent their petitions after August 15th 2012 were not aware of the changes that took place that day. And since USCIS is now immediately transferring the petition to NBC whose job seems to be only to reroute the I-130s to the proper Field Office, I'm merely wondering if it wouldn't be easier (and time saving) to send it directly to the right Field Office.

When they change things, it's always a huge mess at first. That's what happened last year when they ended the DCF and had all petitions sent to the Chicago lockbox, resulting in the "expedited" approval of I-130s, since they couldn't handle the amount of work (that's my guess regarding why they changed it again).

I'm not sure if I'm very clear, I hope I am. :-)

Another thing is, those changes took effect on August 15th 2012, while the Belgium embassy page and the Frankfurt USCIS Field Office pages seem to have not been updated since June 1st.

The USCIS website and I-130 instructions still state to send to Chicago.

"Filing Routine Form I-130 Petitions -

If you reside in a country without a USCIS public office, petitioners must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, by mail to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox at one of the addresses below.

Regular mail:

USCIS

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Express mail or courier delivery:

USCIS

Attn: I-130

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517"

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/immigrants_5254.html

I wouldn't deviate from that.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Have there been any cases of being expedited after being routed to NBC?? Anyone out there??

I was really hoping to be expedited - put down our foreign addresses, but now am a little worried and haven't seen any examples of anyone getting routed to NBC and expedited..

Got NOA1 yesterday so I am crossing my fingers for a speedy NOA2!

Does anybody know anything about the processing times of the NBC / Local Field Offices? Because I can only look it up from the normal Service Centers but I guess that doesn't apply anymore.

So is there no one who filed September and later who has gotten the NOA2 then?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/398174-case-status-since-transfered-to-uscis-nbc-po-box-648005-lees-summit-mo-64064/

Well if it starts to be a trend that USCs abroad don't get expedited then I'll just put down my mom's USA address instead of my foreign one. I was so nervous about that because all my mail is always lost on the way down!

So this might actually make me feel better. :blush:

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.