cutie bear

Unique situation..illegal alien for 20 years

62 posts in this topic

my best friend's eldest sister lives here in the US for almost 20years now and we touchbase last month. back in high school, she was like my big sister and she's really kind! I was surprise when she told me that she was an illegal alien and she's not yet a citizen. She's now married to a Filipino who became a US citizen years ago. the plan is that her husband will apply for citizenship and once approved he will petition her. that didnt materialize for some personal reasons and now they are heading to splitsville. She's earning a lot compared to her husband and her fear is when she filed for a divorce, her husband might call the immigration and she will end up being deported to Philippines. They dont have any children. I feel so sorry for her and wanted to help her.

Her mom who became a greencard holder last year or 2 years ago, learned about this and is now planning to apply for US citizenship so she can petition her daughter and become a US citizen. is this a feasible plan? if her mom petitions her, does she need to go back to the Philippines? or can she stay here???

I told her about this site but she said she has no time to read and go through all the forum so she gave me the go-signal to post her story and get some inputs from you guys.

Please share some of your thoughts or experiences if you have any.

Thanks!!!

Edited by cutie bear

~ Cutie Bear

https://randomengineerblog.wordpress.com/

K1 application filed: 08/2010

NOA1: 08/2010

NOA2: 02/2011

Entered USA: 05/2011

Married: 06/2011

EAD received: 09/2011

Conditional GC received: 10/2011 (transferred to CSC without interviews)
10 year GC received: 10/2013 (Approved without interviews)
N-400: mailed to the Phoenix Lockbox 7/8 and received 7/9 by R. Magadan

N-400 Checked: cashed 7/11

Biometrics: 8/7

Interview: 11/6

Oath-Taking: 12/2

Most important question is how she came into the US. This info. was not provided.

She came here thru a B1 visa.

It can be done, you just have to hire a really good lawyer.

That's what I told her, she has to start looking for a good immigration lawyer before things goes really bad with her busband

Edited by cutie bear

~ Cutie Bear

Overstay is not forgiven for adult children of US Citizens.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

does this mean she will be deported?

~ Cutie Bear

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Yes, but that must not bother her too much as she can't find the time to look into it for herself.

Also, all of the illegal employment isn't forgiven for adult child of a US Citizen.

Has she been filing taxes all these years or is she also guilty of Tax Evasion which is a federal offense?

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It means that her mom becoming a US citizen is not going to help her.

Your friend's sister has violate US immigration laws for the last 20 years. She is violating US laws every day that she is here. She is continually violating US immigration laws. That is not going to be ignored when she seeks to benefit from those same immigration laws.

If she was married to a US citizen, then her violation of US immigration law by overstaying her B-1 visa would not be a problem.

A US citizen mother is not going to help her case. First, it takes 15 years for a US citizen to petition for an unmarried Filipina child over age 21. So, she can't even apply for a green card for another 15 years. Second, her unlawful overstay is not going to be ignored or forgiven with a US citizen parent.

Essentially, your friend's sister has no basis for adjusting her status or remaining in the US legally. Even if her US citizen mother petitions for her, she can be arrested and deported.

Her only chance of ever being legal in the US is marriage to a US citizen who is willing to apply for her.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Moved from "US Citizenship General Discussion" and this is really asking about adjusting status.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Being in California, even if the husband gave immigration her address, they will not show up to take one individual into custody. She has bigger worries than a knock on her door, she better do herself a favor and not be included on any petition by her mother.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Looks like your friend is better off making back with her husband and get the green card or find another USC that would be willing to marry her and file for the petition. I am sure in every marriage things can go bad, but considering her situation may be she should make her current marriage work for few more years and get the card. I like the way Brother Hesikel explained it very clearly.

Thank you for your very educated answer!! The previous posts by ****** were so out of line. That person doesn't seem to know anything about immigration.

11/14/2011 Sent N-400 (Texas Lockbox)

11/16/2011 Priority Date

01/06/2012 Biometrics letter sent out

02/01/2012 Biometrics Done (Charlotte, NC)

02/03/2012 Placed in line for interview

04/16/2012 Interview Letter Sent

05/22/2012 Interview Date (Cancelled)

xx/xx/2012 Oath Date

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Those that EWI are aliens, yet the pc term is illegal immigrant.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Yes, but that must not bother her too much as she can't find the time to look into it for herself.

Also, all of the illegal employment isn't forgiven for adult child of a US Citizen.

Has she been filing taxes all these years or is she also guilty of Tax Evasion which is a federal offense?

Yes she's been paying her mortgage, car, and taxes diligently.

~ Cutie Bear

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.