<3 my Camba

K1 approved! Can my fiance com any earlier than 3 months?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hi everyone!

First of all, I just wanted to say how helpful this website and all of the posts on this forum have been during our process! Our K-1 visa was approved on February 16 and we are sooo happy!!!! I'm sure this question has popped up many times, but I haven't seen it yet. We have set our wedding date for September 8, but we really want to be with each other before June (the 90 days before the wedding). My fiancé has a B2 multipule visit travel visa and I was wondering if he would be able to come earlier on the travel visa, then start using his K-1 visa when it hits the 90 day marker. I'm sure this is impossible and that you must only use your K-1 visa to enter the U.S. now that we have been approved, but hey, a girl can ask, right? If this isn't possible, we can just wait the 3 months until we can see each other again in June.

Let me know!!

Thanks everyone! I hope everything is going well for you all!

~Marissa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I'm sure this is impossible and that you must only use your K-1 visa to enter the U.S. now that we have been approved
Correct, si man. Nevertheless, congratulations! :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

the k1 visa is only for ONE entry. once you get in usa the visa becomes unusable and is replaced by I94 which doesnt allow you to leave the country without a travel document or greencard

148280zkcv79ffi3.gifDeeDee & Sam 426064ng1n3ghbqw.gif

766837489_784932.gif

from filling I129F to POE- exactly 6 months

for k1 steps and dates check my timeline
AOS approved took 7 months you can chack my timeline for details

ROC

October 6th- mailed package

as1cJVfNw2k0710MTMybHN8MDQyMTdqc3xXZVwnd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

From what I have read here, once the K-1 visa is in his passport, that single entry would be automatically used the next time he enters the U.S., regardless of the existence of any other visas. I'm sure others who are more knowledgeable will comment, but for the record, I'd really love to have this problem!

Edited: misread OP; removed incorrect information.

Edited by afoyoswa

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Hi everyone!

First of all, I just wanted to say how helpful this website and all of the posts on this forum have been during our process! Our K-1 visa was approved on February 16 and we are sooo happy!!!! I'm sure this question has popped up many times, but I haven't seen it yet. We have set our wedding date for September 8, but we really want to be with each other before June (the 90 days before the wedding). My fiancé has a B2 multipule visit travel visa and I was wondering if he would be able to come earlier on the travel visa, then start using his K-1 visa when it hits the 90 day marker. I'm sure this is impossible and that you must only use your K-1 visa to enter the U.S. now that we have been approved, but hey, a girl can ask, right? If this isn't possible, we can just wait the 3 months until we can see each other again in June.

Let me know!!

Thanks everyone! I hope everything is going well for you all!

~Marissa

Absolutely impossible. He has to come through POE with the K1 for it to be activated. I am surprised he still has a valid B2 VISA. You will have 90days within which to get married once he makes it through POE. Wishing you guys luck

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Absolutely impossible. He has to come through POE with the K1 for it to be activated. I am surprised he still has a valid B2 VISA. You will have 90days within which to get married once he makes it through POE. Wishing you guys luck

Actually the K1 is already " active". He has 6 months to use it. Once he hits the POE, it expires and is replaced by the I94. It is only good for one entry to the US. Then you have 90 days to get married. I am also a bit surprised that the B2 was not invalidated once he received the K1. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that if he tried to come for a visit on the B2, he might be stopped since the K1 is now in the system. I doubt you can have it both ways.

Timeline

Thank you all so much for the information and kindness! I knew there was a reason I liked this forum!! :) I had a feeling that he wouldn't be able to come earlier but I thought I would ask just to make sure! I will keep you all in my prayers!

~Marissa

Timeline

Actually the K1 is already " active". He has 6 months to use it. Once he hits the POE, it expires and is replaced by the I94. It is only good for one entry to the US. Then you have 90 days to get married. I am also a bit surprised that the B2 was not invalidated once he received the K1. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that if he tried to come for a visit on the B2, he might be stopped since the K1 is now in the system. I doubt you can have it both ways.

Now that you mention it, I'm sure they invalidated his B2 visa. That makes sense. I didn't think about that! Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.