22 posts in this topic

iam suffering a lot with a woman that i married ,she is USC and we were married for a year now,we got divorced yesterday,i have a green card for two years ,the reason why we got divorced because she turned to be very nasty woman and she is always mean to me ,so i could not take it because iam a very nice person and we decided to get divorced,

my questions are, will i be able to recieve the green card for 10 years when this one expire ?because i have a lot of credits to pay in my counrty egypte and here and its gonna take a long time to pay, and if i cant do i have to hire a lawyer or somthing ?thanks,sorry but i could not take that woman she really hurt me a lot i could not take it :( iam emailing this and crying :(

iam suffering a lot with a woman that i married ,she is USC and we were married for a year now,we got divorced yesterday,i have a green card for two years ,the reason why we got divorced because she turned to be very nasty woman and she is always mean to me ,so i could not take it because iam a very nice person and we decided to get divorced,

my questions are, will i be able to recieve the green card for 10 years when this one expire ?because i have a lot of credits to pay in my counrty egypte and here and its gonna take a long time to pay, and if i cant do i have to hire a lawyer or somthing ?thanks,sorry but i could not take that woman she really hurt me a lot i could not take it :( iam emailing this and crying :(

no, and stop crying, youll fry your keyboard. just kidding

===*

What if I Am No Longer Married?

Generally, if you are no longer married, you can request a waiver of the joint filing provision. This includes:

If you are a widow or widower of a marriage that was entered into in good faith

If you are divorced, so long as the marriage was entered into in good faith

If you or your child were battered or subject to extreme hardship by your spouse

-------------------------

you will need a Divorce Waiver. This is when you get a divorce and file the Petition to Remove the conditional Residency by yourself. You would show that you are divorced and then provide sufficient evidence that the marriage was bona fide and real and was not entered into for purposes of obtaining the Green Card. If approved, then you would be issued the permanent Green Card even though you were divorced and filed the petition by yourself.

meaning., make sure you have evidence of the claimed "Abuse".... if you still speak to her make her sign a statement that you were "truely married".,., and so on....

6/21/2006 - sent i130.i485,i131,i765,biometrics, sponsor

6/23/2006 - recieved by MSC

6/27/2006 - notice date on NOA

7/26/2006 - fingerprinting

recieived notice for interview... duno when

9/2/2006 - all apps touched

9/13/2006 - interview. waiting for bkground, no approve.deny case will be reviewed as my case in more complicated., i1131, i485 sepereated from file, claimed that they will be sent for processing

9/22/2006 - called national customer support., been 90 days, no interim ead (i knew i wldnt have it yet) was told to go to santa ana

9/26/2006 - office claims file is floating around somewhere in the mail room, they will find my work permit app and travel doc app and send it for processing

9/26/2006 - drive to LA to double check what they said, office at LA claims that santa ana sent work p, travel to NBC

9/27/2006 - EAD, Travel docs touched

9/28/2006 - EAD, Travel docs tocuhed

9/29/2006 - :( nothing touched, no letters no emails :(:( ---- waiting., will send letter to congressman monday

10/2/2006 - Travel Docs Touched, nothing new on EAD....Wife sent letter to congressman

10/2/2006 - Got Travel Doc in the mail

10/2/2006 9:30 PM PST, 5 email ead approved, will mail me new card

10/6/2006 10:30 AM PST, got 3 emails saying that they have mailed out an approval letter for my EAD... hmmm wheres the damn EAD,

10/7/2006 - Got EAD with a TYPO in a#!!!! in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sorry to hear of your problem texo. :( However, it is my understanding that this is exactly the reason the initial card expires in 2 years instead of 10. If the original relationship that brought you here breaks down, your reason for being here no longer exists and therefore USCIS has no reason to issue you the 10 year card. It is very difficult (though not impossible) to show this was a legitimate relationship that broke down and as a result you should be allowed to stay for "hardship" reasons.

This is just my understanding from conversations with my immigration attorney but each case is unique. I think your best bet would be to consult an immigration lawyer and explore what your legal options are.

Good luck to you however it turns out!

6/14/06 - I-129f packet ready to send

6/15/06 - Decided to delay sending and use new form when available

6/28/06 - Finally mailed to Nebraska Service Center

7/20/06 - NOA1

9/20/06 - Touched for the very first time

9/21/06 - Email NOA2 wooohhooo faster than we had hoped for

9/25/06 - Snail Mail NOA2

9/25/06 - Received at NVC, verified with phone call

9/27/06 - Sent to embassy in Bangkok! Hoping my love will be here for the holidays!!!

9/30/06 - Arrived at embassy and waiting for packet 3

10/24/06 - Finally recieved packet 3

11/22/06 - Packet 3 sent to BKK embassy

11/24/06 - Embassy received packet 3

01/08/07 - Received packet 4 from BKK embassy

01/29/07 - Embassy Interview

01/30/07 - VISA in hand!!

02/05/07 - Returning to states with POE @ SFO

04/05/07 - Filed AOS

04/13/07 - NOA for I-485

06/15/07 - Biometrics

03/25/08 - Interview Date

04/04/08 - GC Received

Filed: Timeline

[[This is just my understanding from conversations with my immigration attorney but each case is unique. I think your best bet would be to consult an immigration lawyer and explore what your legal options are.

Sorry to hear about the Divorce it happens to the best of us.

Anyway yes you can self petition and file it as soon as you have the summary of dissolution back and signed by the courts.

You need to get the i-751 and file it requesting a waiver to self petition based on your Divorce the form is simple to fill out.

Make sure that you can prove that the marriage was in good faith and not for the purpose of a Green Card send them as much evidence with the petiotion that you can get your hands on.

Looks like there a few of us in the same boat right now it will work out have faith well thats what I tell myself :yes:

you will need a Divorce Waiver.

For sake of consistency with the regulations, one of the grounds for waiver of the joint filing of an I-751 is referred to as either the Bona Fide Marriage or Good Faith Marriage Waiver. :)

and...

an applicant not only can, but is encouraged to apply for the waiver of the joint filing requirement based upon any of or all of the three available grounds that apply ~ Bona Fide Marriage; Extreme Hardship or Battered Spouse (inclusive of emotional abuse)

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-751.htm

click on the download and it has the instructions. Who can apply etc etc

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Sorry to hear of your problem texo. :( However, it is my understanding that this is exactly the reason the initial card expires in 2 years instead of 10. If the original relationship that brought you here breaks down, your reason for being here no longer exists and therefore USCIS has no reason to issue you the 10 year card. It is very difficult (though not impossible) to show this was a legitimate relationship that broke down and as a result you should be allowed to stay for "hardship" reasons.

This is just my understanding from conversations with my immigration attorney but each case is unique. I think your best bet would be to consult an immigration lawyer and explore what your legal options are.

Everything Randy has said is wrong. Listen to the other posters instead.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Everything Randy has said is wrong. Listen to the other posters instead.

Seconded

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Maybe feed it back to your lawyer and ask for a reclarification. Either you misunderstood what she said, or she told you the wrong thing.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

HI!

You can file the I-751 at any time now on your own as you;ve got divorced.

Read the www.uscis.gov

But you have to prove that your marriage was entered in good faith so you need to submit all the necessary evidence with the I-751 as joint all sorts of statements and documents.....

I am very sorry to hear about your situation and i hope you;ll find a nice woman next time.

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

wrong......wrong.....and wait!!!.......wrong again.

Gath all your documents that you have with your now "ex" wife, such as joint phone,utilities, maybe joint filed tax incomes (if you's did one together),affidavits from friends, rent contract together or house, gather as much as possible,...send it in, and it should be alright.

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Gath all your documents that you have with your now "ex" wife, such as joint phone,utilities, maybe joint filed tax incomes (if you's did one together),affidavits from friends, rent contract together or house, gather as much as possible,...send it in, and it should be alright.

thanks for your caring guys thanks so much iam heart broken ,i will do what you asked me to ,i have a question what does (to Remove the Conditions on Residence) means?thx again.

thanks for your caring guys thanks so much iam heart broken ,i will do what you asked me to ,i have a question what does (to Remove the Conditions on Residence) means?thx again.

You have a conditional green card (valid for two years) based upon the fact that your marriage was less than 2 years old when you adjusted status. The 'conditions' of your permanent residence will have to be removed, before you will receive a 10-yr card. Normally, the couple files to remove conditions on the residence 3 months prior to the expiration date noted on your card, but in your case, since you and the US citizen have divorced, you can file the application now. You will be waiving the joint filing requirement, based upon one or all of the three waiver categories, that I mentioned earlier.

Form I-751 is the document that must be submitted, along with any and all evidence you have that demonstrates that the marriage was genuine, and not entered into in order to gain immigration benefit alone. If you look at the guides on VJ, under Removing conditions, there's a good starting point to prepare your evidence list. Since yours is a waiver, and details pertaining to that might be scant in the "guides" here, feel free to query after you've read up on the process in general. Of course, in any case, or in a case that is not straightforward and complicated, a consultation with an immigration attorney is advised.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

In my own opinion, if somebody's marriage has reached an irrepairable stage, then instead of prolonging the agony and trying to file jointly, it is probably a better idea to get divorced (even if the USC is willing to sign the petition).

I believe (and once again this is my opinion, don't mean to start a war here) that this is the alien's way of saying to the INS that, "Hey, I am the alien spouse, my marriage did not work out and instead of lying to you, I am telling you the truth. So instead of trying to circumvent the laws, I have instead, decided to get divorced and file this petition on my own, alongwith the necessary evidence, thereby being truthful."

I personally recommend this approach.

Edited by wildestkabs

"Wild"

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and I don't give legal advice.

01/29/2011 - Expressed interest through www.shaadi.com

01/30/2011 - Interest accepted. :)

05/23/2011 - Got married in New Delhi, India

07/16/2011 - I-130 filed.

07/18/2011 - I-130 delivered at the Chicago Lockbox.

07/19/2011 - NOA-1.

07/21/2011 - USCIS text notification of acceptance of the I-130.

07/22/2011 - Check for $420 cashed.

08/04/2011 - Touched.

02/03/2012 - Received I-130 approval notification via text and email. Website updated as well.

02/08/2012 - Received NOA-2 hard copy.

02/17/2012 - NVC generated case #.

02/17/2012 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated.

02/22/2012 - AOS fee bill paid online.

02/23/2012 - DS-3032 emailed.

02/23/2012 - AOS fee bill cleared, IVR updated.

02/24/2012 - Received 'We have received your DS-3032 email from NVC.'

02/25/2012 - AOS Packet mailed.

02/27/2012 - IV Fee Bill generated.

02/28/2012 - 'Item missing in AOS Packet'. NVC mails out letter.

03/01/2012 - IV Fee Bill Paid (Status 'IN PROCESS')

Hello,

I am sorry about your divorce, you may still get the permanent GC of 10 years and you need to prove that you guys did not marry just to get the GC for yourself. You also need to prove that you are treated badly by your spouse and now you want to have the self petition process to remove the conditions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.