lynJer

The big move - is it really going to be worth it????

103 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Americans are very kind (well the majority are) and my American family are wonderful...however,....as an Australian, once here, are looked at by most yanks as if you have two heads...sort of like how we used to look at Tasmanians (joking) but even our accents are difficult for all around you here to understand. Especially on the phone....voice recognition when calling companies excesaperates me...In the end its easier to just get the husband to call

Oh my gosh, I HATE HATE HATE automated phone systems out here....I just end up mashing the zero key so I can get a real human being to talk to instead of a robot who can't get what I am saying. And yes, I get my husband to make some phone calls for me (like to make reservations or to fix problems or what not) because it's just frustrating when you are enunciating and spelling things phonetically and people STILL don't understand. Having an unusual first name doesn't help either....thank god I don't use my maiden name any more because that would mess me up completely!!

I do find a lot of people here to be very disingenuous here, very fake and only want to know you because you are a novelty. Maybe that was because I was living in LA for the first few years....living in Santa Barbara is a very different vibe.

I work in retail so I am talking to people all day...never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people are about Australians and Australia (No, English and Australian people do not sound identical; no, New Zealand is not a colony; yes English is my native language!), or how people will parody my accent and fail.....or will interrupt me (so rude!!) while I am speaking to ask "OMG I LOVEEEEEE YOUR ACCENT SOOOOO PRETTY WHEREEEE ARE YOOOOOU FROOOOMMM??!!" I had one ####### at my work make fun of me to my face because of how I pronounce 'leather' (sounds like 'letha' when we say it) and I was so mad, I made her buy that damn leather handbag I was talking about!!! hahaha.

But, having said that, for every idiot I encounter, I meet 5 people who are lovely and genuine and think of me as Astrid first, and an Aussie second, and aren't obsessed about asking me if I have a pet kangaroo lol. I do miss Australia but I am happy. This is my home now, and I'm making the best of it :)

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

For me its simple.... You can spend all your time wondering "what if" or you can just get on with it and make it happen. I know what I'm going to do.

So did I until I got here.

Timeline
This is my home now, and I'm making the best of it :)

That's great :) I'm still not 100% sure. That's one of our problems. I'm not sure if we're gunna move back to Aus (thanks to "lovely" family issues) to have kids or what not. I think that's a major part of my problem. I think if my mind was 100% on "YEP I'm staying here" it would be easier... kinda like I'm still in transition.

That said.. 2 1/2 years later it's funny now when I'm not entirely SURE whether we have something at home but I know I'll miss it if we don't. Random stupid little gadget things I'm sure but some major like the garbage disposal!! I like how cheap stuff is (a higher income to boot would be nice :D). I'm pretty used to the pop/soda/softdrink now so no biggie. I FINALLY found some bread I like (they have started on "no HFCS" bread with Sara Lee (gotta admit could have been around a while but I only JUST saw it :D) so that tastes SO much better than I can eat it as bread now. I think the biggest change is knowledge.

Knowledge IS power (knowing things I didn't know before helps me feel more in control) and for that reason I've considered making an A-Z guide for Aussies to the US. Things that I would have appreciated knowing from the start (and often didn't think of until after I needed to know it and then I had to google). Again little things but like: Who do you call in a NON-emergency... Sheriff or Police? How do student loans work? Who do I call if I get into trouble (i.e. embassy etc)? What are my options for support if I lose my job? What are my options for support if I get pregnant/have a baby? What if I can't afford medical insurance? What sort of clothing do I need? (this one is 'cause I'd never been in snow before so I didn't know about snow boots, or the little sharp thingies to put on your boots so you don't slip, face mask... cold cheeks for me is the WORST!). What sort of benefits should I look for in a job? What is the norm for my state? Where can I buy Aussie food? How does social security work? How does state tax work? (differs from state to state and is added on TOP of the price you usually see on the shelf/product) I'm sure I have more (I was thinking about it one night while falling asleep)... but what do you guys think? Am I onto something? Anyone care to PM me some ideas of things they are happy they learnt? ... which reminds me... Australian words that American's don't have.. a fun "translation" section like how Milky Ways in the US are more like Mars Bars, and a Babe Ruth is a Picnic :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ohhhhh, babe ruths are like picnics??? thankyouuuuu :) I have to try one of those now, lol.

I think you've got a great idea there :)

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

Ohhhhh, babe ruths are like picnics??? thankyouuuuu :) I have to try one of those now, lol.

I think you've got a great idea there :)

They're not bad and picnics are better but they'll get you through :D

Timeline

hehe, close enough is good enough these days :)

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey, some really good posts here and a great deal of info here so thanks for easing my fears (and to a lesser degree stressing me out a little :). I do have a few other questions that i hope all you members can answer. So here goes:

1. What were your experiences in obtaining credit cards and home loans with banks without a credit rating/score?

2. Are there any taxes when transfering large sums of money from Australia to the States like say for over $150k?

3. How often do you guys go back home to australia to visit?

Thanks guys.

Timeline

Hey, some really good posts here and a great deal of info here so thanks for easing my fears (and to a lesser degree stressing me out a little :). I do have a few other questions that i hope all you members can answer. So here goes:

1. What were your experiences in obtaining credit cards and home loans with banks without a credit rating/score?

2. Are there any taxes when transfering large sums of money from Australia to the States like say for over $150k?

3. How often do you guys go back home to australia to visit?

Thanks guys.

Alex added me to all of his cards so that wasn't a problem. You can get a credit card with little credit, it will just be a crappy card. But then you can at least have a line of credit. I got my first card with Capital One.

I'm not sure about taxes on transferring money. If you go to the IRS website I am sure they will have some information for you!

I have been home once since I immigrated January 2010. I want to go home more, but on my salary and my husband in graduate school, it doesn't really work. But my parents have visited heaps since we moved so that is the next best thing :)

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

Organise an a/c with ozforex and you can transfer large amounts over to a US Bank A/c that way....

Australia and USA have a dual Tax association...meaning if you didnt pay your tax in australia...america will help the ATO get it!

Credit Cards can be obtained by going into a bank and requesting a card and securing it to an a/c thats not 'at call' . What I mean by that....you request a 2k CC with Visa., you put $2k into a Term Deposit A/c and these two are linked...basically you cant get your 2k unless you have closed and paid out the 2k visa limit CC... We do the same thing in Australia for our residents/non citizens....

However, if you have a job, social security number, drivers licence, residential address etc you shld be able to get a small credit card/store card

I think one should return home every 2 years....its just tough when one has spent all their savings coming over here that going home is very difficult....

Vanessa....mates up over website has similiar section to what you are referring to regarding information for new aussies in America....it might be worth having a look....

I found it great... I just need to find some custard powder so I can bake a sponge cake for the kids when its their birthday....it just doesnt seem to exist....icing sugar isnt anywhere either - need that to make my own icing.... :crying: :crying: :crying:

Timeline

That's great :) I'm still not 100% sure. That's one of our problems. I'm not sure if we're gunna move back to Aus (thanks to "lovely" family issues) to have kids or what not. I think that's a major part of my problem. I think if my mind was 100% on "YEP I'm staying here" it would be easier... kinda like I'm still in transition.

That said.. 2 1/2 years later it's funny now when I'm not entirely SURE whether we have something at home but I know I'll miss it if we don't. Random stupid little gadget things I'm sure but some major like the garbage disposal!! I like how cheap stuff is (a higher income to boot would be nice :D). I'm pretty used to the pop/soda/softdrink now so no biggie. I FINALLY found some bread I like (they have started on "no HFCS" bread with Sara Lee (gotta admit could have been around a while but I only JUST saw it :D) so that tastes SO much better than I can eat it as bread now. I think the biggest change is knowledge.

Knowledge IS power (knowing things I didn't know before helps me feel more in control) and for that reason I've considered making an A-Z guide for Aussies to the US. Things that I would have appreciated knowing from the start (and often didn't think of until after I needed to know it and then I had to google). Again little things but like: Who do you call in a NON-emergency... Sheriff or Police? How do student loans work? Who do I call if I get into trouble (i.e. embassy etc)? What are my options for support if I lose my job? What are my options for support if I get pregnant/have a baby? What if I can't afford medical insurance? What sort of clothing do I need? (this one is 'cause I'd never been in snow before so I didn't know about snow boots, or the little sharp thingies to put on your boots so you don't slip, face mask... cold cheeks for me is the WORST!). What sort of benefits should I look for in a job? What is the norm for my state? Where can I buy Aussie food? How does social security work? How does state tax work? (differs from state to state and is added on TOP of the price you usually see on the shelf/product) I'm sure I have more (I was thinking about it one night while falling asleep)... but what do you guys think? Am I onto something? Anyone care to PM me some ideas of things they are happy they learnt? ... which reminds me... Australian words that American's don't have.. a fun "translation" section like how Milky Ways in the US are more like Mars Bars, and a Babe Ruth is a Picnic :)

When you marry someone from another country - where is home exactly? is it the last place you lay your hat? Or is it where the heart feels? I been thinking so much about this for over 20 years...and I think Home for me and my USC husband will be always a combination of our two countries.... I know a few long term US/AUST marriages whereby they have 2 homes....one here in the USA and one back in Aust. A friend of mine has just taken off for 9 mths for their Aussie home,....their USA home (which is just a trailer) is left vacant for when they come back.... That to me sounds like the perfect solution to all this.... that way people relatives etc may actually accept your predicament a little bit better.... Sometimes I feel that Americans believe us Aussies have come to reside here like mexicans do...cos we didnt have enough opportunity in our own country...Where as...nothing can be further from the truth...

So for me, Im going to be working on trying to establish two homes....one in Oz and One here in USA....It might take a while but its just one of my long term goals that will make me feel more secure in my existance...more yin and yang if you know what I mean....

It will be nice to say to my American friends and family that my husband and I leave next week to go back and live in OUR HOUSE IN AUSTRALIA FOR THE NEXT 12 MTHS.... hmmmmm blisss...

oh my next question to all.....So where do you want to get buried eventually....Here in the USA or in Australia ? Over 20 years ago I had a dream that I was buried in a cemetary amongst my husbands dead family members of which I knew none of them - and there I lay for no one to come visit my grave....Morbid I know...and Im sorry but the question still bugs me now?

Has anyone got any ideas as to how you would approach this subject with your new beloved???? :help:

Timeline

lol, I was actually thinking about that the other day! I've been thinking i would rather get buried in Australia, but i'm not so sure Travis will like that idea. And the whole process could be difficult.

event.png

Timeline
Has anyone got any ideas as to how you would approach this subject with your new beloved???? :help:

Personally I'm getting cremated for this reason (sort of).. and also because I will be donating organs (if possible).

My thinking is this: -- my dad's dad for example is buried somewhere... no idea where but I've seen a picture of his tombstone. Mum's parents are buried in the cemetery of the town they died in (and we were born in and grew up in). I distinctly recall mum going to the cemetery and crying over her parents graves. All this has me thinking about what benefit burial really has... not to mention the cost, people thinking it "funny" to destroy graves etc... so that's why my Will says (or said.. now I'm married I have to redo it as marriage voids it) that my ashes are to be scattered in a place that is significant for my executors (who is my mum and sister and now also Tony). I'm dead so where my ashes end up doesn't matter to ME honestly.. My mum wants cremation and to be scattered on this hill that's a landmark on the way from Melb to our hometown because she said "You always known you're nearly home when you see that" and dad wants cremation and scatter with mum.

SO my answer would be cremation and scatter in 2 locations. A bit of my here and a bit of me there. Split in death as I am in life :) You can also, if you like the idea of being in a cemetery, many (like my home town) have a cremation plaque thing. So you could divide the ashes in half and "store" half in a cemetery in the US, and half in a cemetery in Aus.

Timeline

Mmmmm, cremation definitely seems the best option, lol. I always wanted to be buried but now that I'm here.....doesn't quite seem the best option.

event.png

I will definitely have a copy of that Vanessa lol. Lyn, make your own custard from scratch, it's not that hard once you get the hang of it, you can google the life out of recipes.

I hadn't actually thought about where to be buried, we only discussed that we would be buried together, guess it will be which ever country we die in??? I don't really fancy the idea of somebody crying over my grave but I still want the big tombstone so Jesus can find me lol (yes died in the wool catholic!)

Timeline

I will definitely have a copy of that Vanessa lol. Lyn, make your own custard from scratch, it's not that hard once you get the hang of it, you can google the life out of recipes.

I hadn't actually thought about where to be buried, we only discussed that we would be buried together, guess it will be which ever country we die in??? I don't really fancy the idea of somebody crying over my grave but I still want the big tombstone so Jesus can find me lol (yes died in the wool catholic!)

Amanda, I only want the custard powder as I use it in making a sponge cake....helps keep the cake light and fluffs it up while it bakes.

Ill never forget when my cousin died of alcoholism in Perth - we are all from Melbourne/NSW/QLD....so my Auntie (his mother) spent SIX THOUSAND dollars to fly the body home...that was 20 years ago....My mum thought it was silly she spent such money as my cousin hadnt kept in touch with any of his family for some time so spending that sort of money on flying a dead body home mum felt was unnecessary....My Auntie said she wanted the body for the funeral service

Now Im unsure as to how much it would cost to fly dead bodies around these days...but cremation does sound a cheaper alternative although....but where do you have your funeral ceremony? I would like to be buried or have a cremation plaque - but I do ask to be buried/cremated next to my husband once I die....guess that means Im going to be stuck here.... :unsure::hehe: oh well....

Its all very odd....where do you start to get something organised for the finalities of life....cos its inevitable that one day, we are all going to die

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.