lynJer

The big move - is it really going to be worth it????

103 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Ok so I'm from NZ not Aus, but YES IT IS SO WORTH IT! I am so excited, I've never been a huge fan of NZ anyway, it's just boring to me. I can't WAIT to move to and explore the States. I guess it's made easier by the fact that I don't really have an official 'profession' - I'm only 23 and have been doing odd jobs so far in my life, whereas fiance has a good stable job there. He would be more than willing to move here, but I went and visited him there (Seattle) and honestly I would much rather go there than him come here. I am so grateful to have fallen in love with the most amazing man in the world, and even though the process of being able to be together is long and hard, I am almost grateful that it worked out the way it did as it allows me to expand my horizons like I had always wanted to do but had never really done anything about. I am beyond excited and think it will be SO worth it!!

"Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and blows up the bonfire."

~Francois de la Rouchefoucauld

(Quote from a card Adam sent me that spoke to us both - and oh so true.)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Seattle?? SO jealous!!! my husband and i are moving up that way later this year. can't stand the heat of Arizona, lol.

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

It's a bit ironic really, I love the heat, so probably the wrong place to go, but I love the feel of the place and it's so interesting so I can deal with the cold / rain. It's just so much more 'me' than NZ in so many ways. No need to be jealous if you will be heading that way soon too!

"Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and blows up the bonfire."

~Francois de la Rouchefoucauld

(Quote from a card Adam sent me that spoke to us both - and oh so true.)

Timeline

haha, we're both total opposites, you love heat...ended up in a cold place. I severely dislike heat..and I've ended up in a ridiculously hot place!It does look really beautiful up there, so much amazing scenery :)

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

So theres a lot of Interesting perspectives.....

I believe the USA is like Australia in that each place is very different.....For eg., I never lived in Perth as it seemed just too far away and isolated....Brisbane proved a great place to live, Melbourne not so good but the footballs great,....And here in the USA., you need to research where exactly you are having to move to...and speak to your new darling asking if it would be possible to move to a different area once you are there if you find the area a little too daunting, unusual or plane revolting.

I know of many Aussie expats who have been here for over 10 years or there abouts who made demands to move to areas which were more similiar to Australia and that made them happier...In fact a few of them said that if their spouses wearnt going to move...then they were moving back to Australia.

And I guess thats why I decided to start th'e post - to remind us to 'just be sure'....To Stand back, take a look at what you are doing, pause, and reload....cos once you get here...you just cant help bringing it to your spouses attention during a disagreement, how you have given up 'everything' to move to the USA to be with them'.....And for Australians....and Americans in Australia A THING CALLED HOMESICKNESS will strike us all and when it does....it hits like a sledgehammer .... An australians in the usa site suggests IT HITS EVERYONE...so get prepared for it....and GOOD LUCK. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:B-) B-) B-)

Timeline

Interesting post. I originally migrated to Australia to join my husband. But after two years we are moving back to the states for the same reasons you mention NOT to move to the states. I could not find a job in Australia. For 2 years. And I have a doctorate and a profession on the skilled migration list!

The 'boom' you speak of is nice and totally a positive if you are apart of it, but unfortunately I am not. And lets face it, the boom happening in WA is propping up the rest of Australia... had it not been for that boom at just the right time, Australia would be in a recession too. Medicare is a nice bonus in Australia but that cant last long and again it's WA that is paying the bills for the rest of the country--can you tell that we are from Perth? Like every boom in history, there will be a crash... I dread to see what else will tumble when the boom dies off.

On the job front: I get paid twice in America than what I would have earned in Australia (had I been able to find a job). I feel like the US values education and experience. And it's a lot easier to move up the professional ladder if that's what you want to do. Pay in the US is very competitive and opportunities are limitless if you are qualified. In Australia, this was definitely not the case. So yeah, I am a bit bitter that someone in Australia who doesn't even graduate from high school can earn just as much or multiples of what I do (see how much a truck driver earns in the mines). I'm not saying that these high waged people are not needed or valued, but where is the motivation to pursue further knowledge?

Cost of living is through the roof in Australia and as a pharmacist and lawyer, my husband and I could not save enough money for a down payment. Housing prices have tripled in price over the past 5-10 years. And homeowners actually believe this trend will continue... hmm this sounds just like what homeowners were saying before USA's housing market crash. A report came out right before I moved back to the USA about a month ago that teachers, police officers, and nurses are priced out of the housing market in Perth--and these are the people you want to live next to!

Yes, lifestyle is definitely a lot better over in Australia only if you can afford it... We were living paycheck to paycheck in a crappy little apartment.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. That's why we are back in the USA. But it really depends on what you are looking for in life... for our situation, the USA is a far better option.

Sorry but I just had to set the record straight

Mining Boom in WA is huge...but nothing to that of QLD...and at least QLD has other economic industry booms that are pushing the country up....i.e Tourism, Agriculture, Gas, Cotton....etc etc...

EG.....In my industry 'Banking'...we only allowed 2 SNR managers operate and oversee the many business lending bankers organising industry lendings in WA..(and they still managed to go fishing in the arvo nearly every day)..in QLD we had 10....and our lends were through the roof!!! Allways making a profit.... Vic was picking up....NSW can never go wrong....SA was pretty useless...but licking NT ####### helped it to survive...and as for Tassie...well....we didnt have anyone there....I put my hand up to go oversee the situation a couple of times....but they kept giving it to some bloke in Vic - something about being closer??? So....youre right the housing market is ridiculous....geezzz...wish my house for the price I wanted...but its not just the WA minning boom that props up australia....may feel like that in WA as the only other decent money making business overthere is wine and its small compared to the rest of the wineries in Oz......consider living out west in QLD or outback nt for the bucks....

I am from New Zealand my wife is from America.

We lived in New Zealand together for 2 years before getting married and moving to America and living there for 3 years.

We left America because I was homesick for New Zealand plus the crime was bad (at least I thought so) and the recession was hitting (2008).

We have been in New Zealand now for 3 years and are moving back to America because New Zealand is just so BORING! and so expensive; I am a fully qualified tradesman here in NZ earning LESS than what I was earning as a 2nd year apprentice in America.

My wife was almost finished her electrical apprentiship in America, she had 2 years left and was told by NZ electrical board she could transfer her apprentiship over and complete it in NZ; well that never happened because they lied to us; made us jump through hoops for almost a year before we gave up on her finishing her qualification.

My wife now works in a grocery store for 13 hours a week because she cannot get another job because she is not a KIWI!

The houses are so expensive in New Zealand; about $250k for a crappy cold damp house that probably leaks where as if we saved up $50k in America we could buy a house better than the one in NZ without needing to get a loan from the bank.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Sorry but I just had to set the record straight

Mining Boom in WA is huge...but nothing to that of QLD...and at least QLD has other economic industry booms that are pushing the country up....i.e Tourism, Agriculture, Gas, Cotton....etc etc...

EG.....In my industry 'Banking'...we only allowed 2 SNR managers operate and oversee the many business lending bankers organising industry lendings in WA..(and they still managed to go fishing in the arvo nearly every day)..in QLD we had 10....and our lends were through the roof!!! Allways making a profit.... Vic was picking up....NSW can never go wrong....SA was pretty useless...but licking NT ####### helped it to survive...and as for Tassie...well....we didnt have anyone there....I put my hand up to go oversee the situation a couple of times....but they kept giving it to some bloke in Vic - something about being closer??? So....youre right the housing market is ridiculous....geezzz...wish my house for the price I wanted...but its not just the WA minning boom that props up australia....may feel like that in WA as the only other decent money making business overthere is wine and its small compared to the rest of the wineries in Oz......consider living out west in QLD or outback nt for the bucks....

I have to agree with you, lyn.

WA has always been expensive compared to the rest of Aus because of its isolation. It costs more to eat out in Perth than it does in NYC. Australia values education just as much but we don't place all our stock in a bit of paper, knowledge and experience are just as important. For earning potential, the paper does matter but I love that it's still a country where you really can work your way up. I have an accounting degree and I did earn more than the lady who worked with me doing the exact same job with the same job title so that argument is invalid.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline

My only Grizzle re degree or no degree in Oz....is this:

you have an undergrad and a postgrad commonwealth payback system in Oz...means you can pay your education as tax once you eventually start work and earn over 30k per year....so,....I have seen situations where a say 28 year old, uni graduate has 5 years experience in banking and makes say 60K working next to a 28 year old year 12 grad, and because she didnt go to uni, she has 8 years work experience and therefore doing the same job and also earning 60k... the big aussie corporations are being told to value experience and maturerity rather than just education as that can be seen as discrimination but what actaually is happening....whilst before tax pay is even and thats fair.....the take home pay is hacked....cos post grad studies costs a fortune...as does any studies and the university educated person can easily pay an extra 200 dollars a fortnight in tax....aaaggghhh not fair...

I been there...but in the end you do get promoted further and quicker than the non degree collegue but in the mean time...it SUCKS...

oh and re nz....I hear its a lovely place but why you all trying to leave it? there are heaps of you in Australia....I have to ask, is there many Australians living in NZ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

On the job front: I get paid twice in America than what I would have earned in Australia (had I been able to find a job). I feel like the US values education and experience. And it's a lot easier to move up the professional ladder if that's what you want to do. Pay in the US is very competitive and opportunities are limitless if you are qualified. In Australia, this was definitely not the case. So yeah, I am a bit bitter that someone in Australia who doesn't even graduate from high school can earn just as much or multiples of what I do (see how much a truck driver earns in the mines). I'm not saying that these high waged people are not needed or valued, but where is the motivation to pursue further knowledge?

I've thought a lot about this post and I agree that the US thinks education is the "be all and end all" but I don't think it is. And, no offence to American's but schooling here isn't as good as schooling back home so just because they have a degree doesn't always mean they're better or smarter than someone with experience. For instance a law degree here takes 7 years (and that doesn't include taking the bar for your specific state). It takes 4 years in Aus plus a year at a firm (I'm spacing on the term for that). Someone argued that means American lawyers are "smarter" than Australian lawyers... I disagree. I think it's insane it take so much longer to learn US law (and an Aussie law degree is valid in the US but you need to take the bar for your state and something else that i'm spacing on I'm sure).

In Australia experience is given much more credence than it is here. I think it's ridiculous that just because I don't have insane student loans, but are either as knowledgable or more knowledgable given my experience, that I have to earn less.

In Australia if I wanted a career change I would stand a chance without having to go to school. Here I HAVE to go to college or I can forget it and that means student loans (which you need to pay back whether you get a job or not) or we need to pay out of pocket. If I were at home I'd have HECS (HELP now I think it is) to help me out so I could learn and then not stress about paying it back until I get a well-paying job. I could get a job in the meantime that pays more than $9 an hour so I could support myself while studying.

I agree that if you have a degree in something you stand a better chance of getting a job and I don't like that. I don't like it at all. I need a job NOW, not 2 years down the track (when I'm almost 31) with student loans to pay off. My qualifications basically mean diddily squat here. Luckily my experience counted for one employer and they gave me a chance but there were other issues I had with that employer including discrimination over my accent with the other staff so that didn't last. If I was home I'd be earning more money than I am right now and I would get chances to move up without schooling.

Right now I have to decide what I'm going to do. I've been here 2 1/2 years almost and am finding it hard to get a job in my field because A. All my experience is Australian so it doesn't count as experience in the same field here B. Immigrating cut off my "longevity" and that apparently counts here. Ugh. I'll figure it out and in the meantime just feel more homesick because at least at home I could work at Safeway and still make $17 an hour while figuring out what I can do... even centrelink would be a godsend right now!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

I had a rather interesting conversatin with the Ohio nursing board yesterday. Apparently Midwives in Australia have more autonomy than in Ohio, are allowed to do so much more than in Ohio but apparently I may have to go back to school to be registered as a Midwive there??????? I am so annoyed. it would appear it's going to be a painful process to get registered! the only upside is that at least I can earn semi decent once I am registered but being the door person at walmart is looking might fine compared to going back to school (when I have already done 5 yrs of it)!

Timeline

I have heaps of experience and I have post grad studies...(paid off my HECS and PELS just before I left Australia) I have put my resume out there but unless your a citizen...it appears to me that the organizations here are just not interested.

I really dont think its discrimination in a direct form...I believe its because the country is in a recession so they are favouring resume's from their own citizens rather than other countries....

I lived and acquired a job in the Australian recession back in late seventies and eighties, so I think it feels the same.....but nowadays you are stuck with applying on line....rather than, knocking on doors where you could dress yourself up and your looks could help (well back then in those days it did as where we all resembled Elle macpherson look alikes)

Now...combine that with being homesick....having no family around you, having left a wonderful lifestyle back in Australia...for Gods sake, .I lived in Sth East Qld where Fraser Moreton, and Straddy islands were a usual thing to do...or maybe head to noosa for lunch....or more often the Goldie to catch up with my family ....Or fly to melbourne for more family....thats all been taken away from me...I miss my plates and modern furniture...

now we (other Aussies) are stuck here, where we cant even make a phone call back home for when we want due to time zone differences.....Sure you get that early arvo/evening opportunity....but theres a lot of phone tag going on...

I miss all our parks where we can go bbq and have a wine with my steak...here you cant take any alcohol to parks or beaches...#######? So I break the law drinking a red or white with my meals in a park- ridiculous....and I refuse to pour and sneak alcohol in a plastic cup...like my husband does with his beer...

Americans are very kind (well the majority are) and my American family are wonderful...however,....as an Australian, once here , are looked at by most yanks as if you have two heads...sort of like how we used to look at Tasmanians (joking) but even our accents are difficult for all around you here to understand. Especially on the phone....voice recognition when calling companies excesaperates me...In the end its easier to just get the husband to call

As an Australian we are taught not to whinge....to suck it up and get on with your life....so its very hard to write this and Im ONLY doing it for others (my fellow Aussie's comrades) who believe that coming over here is going to FANTASTIC and smooth sailing...just brace yourself for what we, the very few who are willing to speak up frankly about the experience...are saying....however, my friend said to me once...one day you will be a citizen from the best two countries in the world....and yes...that is something to look forward to

For over 20 years I have wondered why I never came over here and married my love all them years ago....TODAY the answer came to me....'COS I WOULD NOT HAVE STAYED - BEING YOUNGER, I WOULDNT HAVE HAD THE MATURITY TO UNDERSTAND...would not have liked being looked at as being so DIFFERENT for so long'

Im so appreciative of the Australian friends I have over here....cos when we get together....we speak Australian again...and we have the same look - its like being an adoptee and finding your family again and recognizing family traits that nooone else around you have.....so when you come find your fellow countrymen and KEEP IN CONTACT.

In saying that, I dont want to put you off coming here...just wish you all luck....and stay TUFF....cos thats what makes us Australian...and remember you are unique... Re the Schooling here, it is so easy...just ask my 3 kids who have come from the QLD system....my daughter is doing her year 12 here and 'thanks the lord' every night = cos back home all her mates are were bombarded with school stuff...here you need a 4 year degree cos the first year they have to do year 12 aussie style...and apparently at degree level...8 australian uni credit points is equivalant to 16 - 24 here... but see if you can find a HR department in the USA that knows that ...

yes Im homesick - nearly all the time - but i consider myself to be lucky...as my American husband understands and loves Australia and Australians. He lived in Australia for appx a year and considers himself as an American/australian, he speaks Australian fluently.....and totally understands my culture....even advisors his company on Australian business etiquette for his global reps etc... unfortunately my male friends wife hates Australia...except in small doses...and has refused to allow the children to be brought up there....(i think bc when they go back her aussie husband turns into the normal aussie bloke and enjoys catchin up with mates in the pub for long periods of time)

Im not bitter, just a little regretful that I didnt have the insight to consider the consequences...now I have to live with it...I miss my eldest son who hated it here so much that he had to go home and live with his horrible father in a state he had never lived in nor have friends in...I just hope he doesnt hate me for disrupting his life so much....

anyway...Thanks everyone for participating in this post...ALL your views will assist others to prepare and understand what they are doing just that little bit better....cheers!!!

OH my gosh Lyn, the furiturne thing. I had forgotten that. I HATE the American way of decorating and the overly ornate furniture. Even looking for bedroom lamps and ceiling fans has become a massive chore because I just want plain and simple lines. My husband doesn't understand modern and minimalistic but he is about to learn!!

Timeline

I am from New Zealand my wife is from America.

We lived in New Zealand together for 2 years before getting married and moving to America and living there for 3 years.

We left America because I was homesick for New Zealand plus the crime was bad (at least I thought so) and the recession was hitting (2008).

We have been in New Zealand now for 3 years and are moving back to America because New Zealand is just so BORING! and so expensive; I am a fully qualified tradesman here in NZ earning LESS than what I was earning as a 2nd year apprentice in America.

My wife was almost finished her electrical apprentiship in America, she had 2 years left and was told by NZ electrical board she could transfer her apprentiship over and complete it in NZ; well that never happened because they lied to us; made us jump through hoops for almost a year before we gave up on her finishing her qualification.

My wife now works in a grocery store for 13 hours a week because she cannot get another job because she is not a KIWI!

The houses are so expensive in New Zealand; about $250k for a crappy cold damp house that probably leaks where as if we saved up $50k in America we could buy a house better than the one in NZ without needing to get a loan from the bank.

I guess it depends where you are or your circumstances but I'd have to agree with you on the property side of things. I'm in Auckland and house prices have gone through the roof. You would be really struggling to find something in central Auckland for $500k now, and that's minimum. There is also a lot of foreign investment in the major city centres now too - and its becoming impossible to compete. It has changed the way suburbia looks with lots of cross-leasing of land. Not as pretty as it used to be. Not as friendly either. I just don't think the same opportunities and lifestyle exist that used to be there even 5 to 10 years ago relative to average income.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Timeline

For me its simple.... You can spend all your time wondering "what if" or you can just get on with it and make it happen. I know what I'm going to do.

K1 Timeline:

30/05/11 I-129F Sent

06/06/11 NOA1 Recieved

15/07/11 Filed for Police Certificate

16/09/11 NOA2 Recieved

28/09/11 NVC Sent application to Sydney Consulate

06/10/11 Received Packet 3 from Sydney Consulate

30/10/11 Medical Exam

30/10/11 Sent Packet 3

15/11/11 Received Packet 4

29/11/11 Interview/Approval

09/12/11 Visa in hand

10/12/11 POE, LAX

16/12/11 Married

AOS Timeline

02/01/12 Sent AOS Packet

06/01/12 NOA1

13/01/12 Biometrics Appt Notice

17/01/12 Biometrics Walk-in

29/02/12 EAD/AP Aprroved, Card Production Ordered

01/03/12 Request for 'Green Card' interview

09/03/12 EAP/AP Combo Card In Hand

04/04/12 Perminant Residency interview

05/04/12 Perminant Residency approval via mail

02/05/12 Green Card In Hand

This process took us about year, it was very stressfull at times but well worth it.

(dates AUS format)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.