lynJer

The big move - is it really going to be worth it????

103 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Vanessa....mates up over website has similiar section to what you are referring to regarding information for new aussies in America....it might be worth having a look....

I found it great... I just need to find some custard powder so I can bake a sponge cake for the kids when its their birthday....it just doesnt seem to exist....icing sugar isnt anywhere either - need that to make my own icing.... :crying: :crying: :crying:

Thanks :) I've seen what they have but it's pretty limited in info. Maybe I could offer suggestions to get it updated. That might be better.

Icing sugar DOES exist but they call it "confectioners sugar" or "powdered sugar". Tastes the same and will be near the regular sugar in the supermarket :)

Custard powder you can order online if you want. Here's one: http://www.simplyoz.com/products/australian_foods/cakes__pudding/foster_clark_s_custard_powder It's not cheap but is cheaper than getting shipped from home.. hope that helps :D

Timeline

Hey, some really good posts here and a great deal of info here so thanks for easing my fears (and to a lesser degree stressing me out a little :). I do have a few other questions that i hope all you members can answer. So here goes:

1. What were your experiences in obtaining credit cards and home loans with banks without a credit rating/score?

2. Are there any taxes when transfering large sums of money from Australia to the States like say for over $150k?

3. How often do you guys go back home to australia to visit?

1. I recommend Capital One. They are geared to immigrants and their secured card costs are much more reasonable. A secured card is where you pay an amount to get the card at a certain limit. Most will give you a limit for the amount you pay (so $200 for a $200 limit card). At the end of a year if you've been handling it well and don't owe anything usually they'll unsecure the card and give you your money back. The card I go through Capital One was $49 for a $200 limit. I've had it since around August 2011 and my credit score is already in the 700s. I use "www.creditkarma.com" to check my score. Getting the card was as simple as applying and paying online and I got the card about a week later. This is my card: http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/mastercard-secured-credit-card/r/?linkid=WWW_1010_CARD_TGUNS11_CCBRWALL_C3_36_T_CP18003RW APR (Annual percentage rate) sucks, and the annual fee as well but to build your credit its a good choice. I was rejected at Kohls because I had no history. I haven't tried again but I'm gunna give it a couple more months. The way they work it out is if you have ACCESS to a lot of credit but you haven't used it your score is good. I paid my tax fee of $170 on my credit card and my score dropped several points because I was using 85% of my available credit... So while I don't WANT credit cards and store cards it's a good way to build and maintain my credit so I might just get them and stash them in a drawer somewhere.

2. That would definitely be something for the IRS. I would consider setting it up in an account and doing periodic transfers of lower amounts.

3. I arrived Sept 2009. I went home for 2 months Sept 2010 (due to my dad not being well). I haven't been since. I've had 2 friends visit but none of my family since the wedding. Tickets aren't cheap and annual leave isn't as long here in the US as it is back home at many jobs.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey did you know that there is a 'yanks down under' forum...and they are all winging about being in Australia and not being able to obtain certain foods etc...

laughed when I read how an American women asked if anyone knew where to purchase 'dairy whip'

Some one said; buy thickened cream and whip it....

I just shake my head sometimes....

Timeline

lol, miracle whip is so disgusting :/

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

Hey did you know that there is a 'yanks down under' forum...and they are all winging about being in Australia and not being able to obtain certain foods etc...

laughed when I read how an American women asked if anyone knew where to purchase 'dairy whip'

Some one said; buy thickened cream and whip it....

I just shake my head sometimes....

Lol. i hate the fake cream stuff. In fact I have issues with their "whipping cream" as well as you have to add a stabiliser (like gelatine) if you want it to be like cream in a sponge or something (and you want real cream and not that weird stuff I've seen in cakes here). If you don't add the stabiliser it turns back to liquid after a couple of hours.

But I do understand how they feel. You're used to using certain things and substituting just isn't as good. Like I made some truffle/rum ball things when I first arrived that i LOVE (cocoa, sweetened condensed milk, milk arrowroot/marie biscuits, desiccated coconut) and to make them here I found these random spanish cookies called Marie or something, the coconut isn't dry so it was wet and.. well honestly gross... and I didn't think the condensed milk was/is as sweet as ours. Blah! I've made them since and used animal crackers (not too bad) in place of milk arrowroot, and mum sent me some desiccated coconut (many Americans think I made that word up!)..

Lol. i hate the fake cream stuff. In fact I have issues with their "whipping cream" as well as you have to add a stabiliser (like gelatine) if you want it to be like cream in a sponge or something (and you want real cream and not that weird stuff I've seen in cakes here). If you don't add the stabiliser it turns back to liquid after a couple of hours.

But I do understand how they feel. You're used to using certain things and substituting just isn't as good. Like I made some truffle/rum ball things when I first arrived that i LOVE (cocoa, sweetened condensed milk, milk arrowroot/marie biscuits, desiccated coconut) and to make them here I found these random spanish cookies called Marie or something, the coconut isn't dry so it was wet and.. well honestly gross... and I didn't think the condensed milk was/is as sweet as ours. Blah! I've made them since and used animal crackers (not too bad) in place of milk arrowroot, and mum sent me some desiccated coconut (many Americans think I made that word up!)..

I tried making rumballs for Christmas and had the same issues. I ended up using "vanilla wafer cookies" (which are not wafers at all), but couldn't find the right kind of coconut so I used the flaky stuff they have everywhere here. Found proper coconut later at a natural grocer store. They turned out pretty good, the extra rum I put in them made up for other ingredients that were less than ideal.

When I took my husband to Australia he was perplexed by the "Aussie hamburger" - he couldn't understand why they always put egg in a hamburger, and didn't like the idea. At first he would ask for the hamburger without the egg. He got a few dirty looks for that from takeaway shops. Finally he tried it and actually liked it. I don't think he'll ever get used to beetroot though!

Timeline

It's funny, the other day Alex was putting Mayo on his sandwich and I realised how much I miss Mayo from back home!! It's all 'whipped' here which is really weird, I miss Mayo you can dip chippies in!!

And I will agree with everyone, 'whipped cream' here is terrible! I tried to make pavlova a few years ago, needless to say it turned to mush :(

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have to admit I struggle living here in the USA, especially since I had the baby. By the time I got my EAD and green card (arrived within a week of each other) I was 5 months pregnant. So that ruled out getting a job - no one seemed particularly keen on the foreign pregnant chick. Since she was born I have looked but with 2 children (my step daughter lives with us every 2nd week) and only one car it's just not worth the day care and 2nd car costs. So I work at home, doing some sub-contracting work but instead of my 60,000 Aussie paycheck I earn around $200 a week. I miss my family desperately and my baby is missing out on getting to know them.

Right now my life seems to be stuck in a vicious, depressing circle and it sucks. I agreed to come here as hubby didn't want to leave his daughter until she's 18. I respect that but some days are just too much. Then again I haven't slept in a couple of weeks due to the baby teething so perhaps that is why I feel like such a negative, grumpy person right now lol.

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Timeline

I have to admit I struggle living here in the USA, especially since I had the baby. By the time I got my EAD and green card (arrived within a week of each other) I was 5 months pregnant. So that ruled out getting a job - no one seemed particularly keen on the foreign pregnant chick. Since she was born I have looked but with 2 children (my step daughter lives with us every 2nd week) and only one car it's just not worth the day care and 2nd car costs. So I work at home, doing some sub-contracting work but instead of my 60,000 Aussie paycheck I earn around $200 a week. I miss my family desperately and my baby is missing out on getting to know them.

Right now my life seems to be stuck in a vicious, depressing circle and it sucks. I agreed to come here as hubby didn't want to leave his daughter until she's 18. I respect that but some days are just too much. Then again I haven't slept in a couple of weeks due to the baby teething so perhaps that is why I feel like such a negative, grumpy person right now lol.

I know how you feel. The thing I struggle with is the inclement weather now that I have the baby. I find it isolating and the lack of sun is making my spirits wane. We just returned from 2 weeks in Fla and my mood change was evident the further North we got.

If you ever want to chat ... PM me ... :star:

RUMBALLS - I just made some at Xmas. Wegmans up in the North sells Weetabix (the POM version but just as good).

I think I read that Target sells Tim Tams but haven't been able to find it. I can't remember who posted it in here but a heads up would be appreciated. TIA.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline
I think I read that Target sells Tim Tams but haven't been able to find it. I can't remember who posted it in here but a heads up would be appreciated. TIA.

They DID but they're seasonal :( I went to the Target in my area and the stock was pretty small. I only bought 3 packets and was planning to go back for more but unfortunately they were gone by the time I got there. I have one packet of unopened caramel tim tams and I'm not a fan (one packet I opened to try) so if anyone wants them...

Timeline

I tried making rumballs for Christmas and had the same issues. I ended up using "vanilla wafer cookies" (which are not wafers at all), but couldn't find the right kind of coconut so I used the flaky stuff they have everywhere here. Found proper coconut later at a natural grocer store. They turned out pretty good, the extra rum I put in them made up for other ingredients that were less than ideal.

When I took my husband to Australia he was perplexed by the "Aussie hamburger" - he couldn't understand why they always put egg in a hamburger, and didn't like the idea. At first he would ask for the hamburger without the egg. He got a few dirty looks for that from takeaway shops. Finally he tried it and actually liked it. I don't think he'll ever get used to beetroot though!

Haha....Mine used to pick out the carrot beetroot and pineapple....then he got used to it...

I was very sick yesterday and sent yank husband up the store for lemonade....now he has lived in Oz for nearly 12 mths before so he must have known but said nothing....eventually he comes back with lemonade and yeah...its lemon solo stuff....I specifically told him not sprite or mountain dew....just schweppes lemonade but no...they dont have it here....been here for all this time and I never knew that....and now we have ran out of cheesymite....14 year old son is not impressed we cant just go to the store and buy some.... :bonk::hehe:

Timeline

They DID but they're seasonal :( I went to the Target in my area and the stock was pretty small. I only bought 3 packets and was planning to go back for more but unfortunately they were gone by the time I got there. I have one packet of unopened caramel tim tams and I'm not a fan (one packet I opened to try) so if anyone wants them...

Yeah I found heaps of tim tams around our area....safeways had them, target had them, kmart too I think....but my sister said they wearnt the same....

Bloody things make you fat anyway.......Now...for you gals that drink beer....if you buy fosters in the boutique stubby Im positive it tastes like Crown Lager....

Carebear give me your phone number and ill give you a call....where abouts are yah? Your midwest aernt you?

Perhaps we can all organise a morning tea via skype one day...we can sit and whinge ALL MORNING...get it off our chest....let me know if anyones interested....

Or if anyone is close....I think mates up over are organising another aussie bbq day....last one was in West Virginia...I couldnt go...but have heard it was a great day....

:dance: :dance: :dance:

anyway...back to my donut and clam soup....(they make the best soup and donuts here)

Timeline

Oh no! :( . Thanks, Vanessa. None of the stores up here had them. I would have known. All I do is eat to comfort myself so I'm always in the lolly aisles.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline

Just a quick hello from the other side.

We applied for a spouse visa and as soon as it was approved jumped. We have been back here for about 18 months now. We have a network of USC friends as well as picking up with a number of my old friends.

Of course I am happy here it is where my kids and grandchildren are and I think OH has adjusted really well,

anyone who wants specific questions answered I will do my best,

ps I still can call a US number for a chinwag if anyone is up for it.

Edited by Chocolot

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Timeline

Thanks Deb and Lyn - its all a little better this week as I have found us a new rental to move into next month. Will solve a lot of my niggly issues. Don't talk to me about comfort eating Deb I'm spending $40 a month on the Simply Oz website buying Allen's lollies lol.

Thanks for the heads up about the Sara Lee bread Vanessa - I bought a loaf today and its much more palatable :)

Now if I could just get a little more sleep I may actually crack a smile lol.

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.