lynJer

The big move - is it really going to be worth it????

103 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

And, setting aside all of that - it doesn't taste as good, haha. The Coke in Australia is so much better than US Coke. I don't even like US Coke, too sweet.

Lol yep! I get Sara Lee bread that doesn't have HFCS in it (SO much better!) and I can drink US coke now but I find it WAY more acidic. I tend to drink Sprite more or water (and sometimes with Raspberry ICe Crystal lite.. mmmm) :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

haha, yes! I rarely drink pop here in the US because I don't like it - then, while there, I was surprised to find myself drinking a lot more. It's just flat out better.

I keep saying that we need some Star Trek transporters. Then we could bounce back and forth to see family (and right now each other!!) easily. Also, I could pop into Woolworth's for some Agrum and ketchup every week :-P

Timeline:

Met online - 2005

Started dating - 2008

10 trips, 400+ days together - 2008-2012

NOA1, CVC - 14 December 2011

NOA2, CVC - 17 May 2012 (155 days)

File arrived at the NVC on 6/25/2012 - that's 5.5 weeks or so from the NOA2

NVC said that they sent it onward to Sydney on 7/2/2012

Mexi-coke!! Mexian coke comes in glass bottles and tastes like Aussie coke :) You can tell it's the right kind 'cause it has a white sticker with the nutritional info etc on it. I've found it in Texas but also here in Iowa at the service station. Also mexi-fanta :) Same thing, real sugar :D

Yes. As a coke addict in Aus, I was thoroughly disgusted when I tasted American coke for the first time. Then someone told me about Mexican coke. It is SO much better. Amazing in fact. I can buy it at Walmart by the bottle (98c ea) or at Big lots in a pack of 24 for $24 or at The Home Depot in a pack of 24 for $19. Expensive, but the real thing!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My dad does medical research - he mostly does biostats, which means that he sits on a large number of research teams doing a lot of different types of research. He's been telling us for a couple years now that corn syrup is incredibly bad for you - that emerging research is showing just how bad. He says that high fructose corn syrup is not processed by our bodies the same way as other sugars - and that it is probably helping to foster diabetes and obesity in the US. He often sees stuff - or hears about it at medical conferences and then comes home and tells us to stop doing X or Y - before it's published, so maybe it's not out there? I also don't have any links, but I will ask him about it tonight and see if he can provide any. (The thing before this was how dangerous plastic is, causing him and my mom to replace all the plastic in the kitchen. Which was a lot of work.)

Sugar itself is also incredibly bad for you - there is some indication that diabetes starts appearing in the larger population as soon as sugar became available to everyone (not just rich people) - so this is not to say that sugar is great while corn syrup is not, just to say that high fructose corn syrup is particularly bad.

And, setting aside all of that - it doesn't taste as good, haha. The Coke in Australia is so much better than US Coke. I don't even like US Coke, too sweet.

OK....MY GF from Uni days in Darwin....(twenty years ago nearly) was studying science and whilst YES...SUGAR IS BAD...CORN OR WHAT EVA...she used to say the stuff they make the fake sugar with (its in diet coke and diet beer etc) is worse for you....she says you are better off eating straight sugar than using it....(sacrine) it has been linked to cancer and other horrors apparently.... :crying:

and just to add food for thought..... :blink: Latest dental study is concerned about everyones increase in cavities/crooked teeth etc....linking this increase to most americans drinking bottled water, or filtered water, rather than tap water which contains fluoride - can you ask your dad about this?

Timeline

OK....MY GF from Uni days in Darwin....(twenty years ago nearly) was studying science and whilst YES...SUGAR IS BAD...CORN OR WHAT EVA...she used to say the stuff they make the fake sugar with (its in diet coke and diet beer etc) is worse for you....she says you are better off eating straight sugar than using it....(sacrine) it has been linked to cancer and other horrors apparently.... :crying:

and just to add food for thought..... :blink: Latest dental study is concerned about everyones increase in cavities/crooked teeth etc....linking this increase to most americans drinking bottled water, or filtered water, rather than tap water which contains fluoride - can you ask your dad about this?

I asked him! I was halfway through the question and he said - oh ya cavities, well documented.

He said that our water filters are also contributing to the problem - that the filters take out the fluoride too.

Yikes, I had no idea!

Timeline:

Met online - 2005

Started dating - 2008

10 trips, 400+ days together - 2008-2012

NOA1, CVC - 14 December 2011

NOA2, CVC - 17 May 2012 (155 days)

File arrived at the NVC on 6/25/2012 - that's 5.5 weeks or so from the NOA2

NVC said that they sent it onward to Sydney on 7/2/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I asked him! I was halfway through the question and he said - oh ya cavities, well documented.

He said that our water filters are also contributing to the problem - that the filters take out the fluoride too.

Yikes, I had no idea!

I have had some dental issues since being in the US and I thank the lack of fluoride (and reflux). I have special prescription strength fluoride toothpaste from my dentist to try and help. I can't stand tap water though and always drink bottled 'cause I'm sensitive to chlorine.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I think where we live there must be a heap of fluoride in the tap water - which I drink often - as my teeth seemed to have never been in better condition....? Was thinking that the other day....????

We don't have fluroide in our water in Logan (brisbane) so my kids all took fluroide tablets when they were little. In the US I drink bottled water cos tap water is so hard!

I'm the USC and I grew up with well water so I am a water snob lol I refuse to drink this nasty treated sewage water we have here in the city :P

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: Timeline

At first I was like a fish out of water cause I went from the Gold Coast to the Mojave Desert but it had a unique and fantastic beauty of it's own for me to explore so I didn't dwell on the lack of water in my life. I missed the food and found the people much more laid back in OZ but I quickly acclimated to my new environment. I found websites where I can get my favourite junk foods. I buy from there in between care packages from my mum back home. :P I live in a very isolated area now and I'm surrounded by 100 foot trees, 5,000 foot mountains with rivers, lakes and wildlife all around me. I missed the beaches for a while as I'm from the Gold Coast originally but now the lovely white sand has been replaced by lovely white snow 6 months of the year. I'm adaptable and just go with the flow. Apart from the obvious of having my husband to share these things with me it's definitely worth it and 12+ years later it's still exciting to have a whole new world and culture to explore. The trade worth is what each individual makes of it. For me...oh yeah it's worth it. :)

Edited by Outback Annie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

At first I was like a fish out of water cause I went from the Gold Coast to the Mojave Desert but it had a unique and fantastic beauty of it's own for me to explore so I didn't dwell on the lack of water in my life. I missed the food and found the people much more laid back in OZ but I quickly acclimated to my new environment. I found websites where I can get my favourite junk foods. I buy from there in between care packages from my mum back home. :P I live in a very isolated area now and I'm surrounded by 100 foot trees, 5,000 foot mountains with rivers, lakes and wildlife all around me. I missed the beaches for a while as I'm from the Gold Coast originally but now the lovely white sand has been replaced by lovely white snow 6 months of the year. I'm adaptable and just go with the flow. Apart from the obvious of having my husband to share these things with me it's definitely worth it and 12+ years later it's still exciting to have a whole new world and culture to explore. The trade worth is what each individual makes of it. For me...oh yeah it's worth it. :)

Sounds cool .. :yes:

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Timeline

Hi guys, i have a question and that is when you have started your application for your K-1 visa, can you still visit the States from Australia(like for say 2 weeks) while the application is being processed? Or do you have to wait the 8-9 months in Australia til you get approval for your K-1 visa? Thanks guys!

Timeline

It's totally fine to visit. Just be honest when your going through POE and take plenty of evidence to prove ties to OZ

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.