SweetheartSarah

Associates Degree- is it worth it?

27 posts in this topic

Timeline

It's clear that I want to go to culinary school however I feel that I should have something under my belt that is something with a little more stability, in the case that all else fails. Now, I don't want to spend a lot of time and money and effort on a full-length Bachelor program, so I'm considering the possibility of doing an Associates Degree, perhaps a general one, such as an associates degree in Science without a specialization.

What do you think? Any experiences or advice, or any other recommendations or ideas?

Thanks!

:)

Go for it. I did it that way. I had to work and go to school on my own. I received an Associates then went to the Army for a few years and took classes there. Afterwards I was able to work again in my field because of experience and took classes when able to complete a Bachelors later. The most important thing is the foot in the door. Once you start a career become good at it and a valued employee.

I agree with the nurse. That's what I did and now have a Masters degree doing something else but ALWAYS have a job to fall back on. Once you have an Associates in Nursing, you take the national board exam, and once you have that, are a Registered Nurse and can work anywhere!!! There are other things in healthcare that could be considered, also. Goodluck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I also have an Associates Degree in my chosen profession. 4 year degrees exist, but it is a new thing that has only happened in the last 4 or 5 years for the most part. To work in my profession, you have the option to attend a certificate program, attend a 2-year college, or now that 4-year option (Master's and Doctorate levels exist, too). The pay is the same whichever you choose. As a person who also had a family to support and nobody else to hand over cash to me, I took the practical route. (Certificate programs here in Houston typically charge 28000$ while a jr college usually is around 5000$ plus you CAN use it to go on, if you want.) I can understand the snobbery of those who want to think that what they did is automatically superior, but the fact is, a profession should be able to support your family and the route to get there is the one that works--not necessarily a piece of paper that have fancy type.

Whatever you decide to do, please look at the job market FIRST. If it is a viciously competitive field or if people graduate and then make minimum wage for the most part or if it is a hobby profession, well, it is really not a good idea unless lottery winning is in your future.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Timeline

I also have an Associates Degree in my chosen profession. 4 year degrees exist, but it is a new thing that has only happened in the last 4 or 5 years for the most part. To work in my profession, you have the option to attend a certificate program, attend a 2-year college, or now that 4-year option (Master's and Doctorate levels exist, too). The pay is the same whichever you choose. As a person who also had a family to support and nobody else to hand over cash to me, I took the practical route. (Certificate programs here in Houston typically charge 28000$ while a jr college usually is around 5000$ plus you CAN use it to go on, if you want.) I can understand the snobbery of those who want to think that what they did is automatically superior, but the fact is, a profession should be able to support your family and the route to get there is the one that works--not necessarily a piece of paper that have fancy type.

Whatever you decide to do, please look at the job market FIRST. If it is a viciously competitive field or if people graduate and then make minimum wage for the most part or if it is a hobby profession, well, it is really not a good idea unless lottery winning is in your future.

In Houston we were blessed to have many options to get schooling. I took classes at Houston Community college, sometimes at San Jacinto Jr. college and eventually North Harris county college. To finish out they did make me take courses at U of H but they had a great program for people that worked. There were many other avenues. Back then it was the practice to pay for school oneself and with no student loans. Very few grants were available. An associates degree is a great start. If any are such snobs to say different then woe on them. I was an manager and hired many with an associates degree.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I also did the Associates Route, to save money on tuition. After I got my Associates, I looked around for a job and realized that it didn't help me much at all...but anyways my intent was to transfer the Associates to a Bachelors, which I did.

I understand you not wanting to spend a lot of time and $$ on the degree. If that is the case, your choice of an Assoicates of Science is a good pick because it will save you money :thumbs: However, I wouldn't expect it to help much with the job hunt. However, if you transfer your hours to a bachelors it will really serve you well...and you can take your time.

Blessings on your education journey!

B

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some AA degrees are valuable and others are a complete waste of time and money. There's a process technology degree for oilfield work here that puts people into six figure incomes on the North Slope oil fields. There's others that are good for toilet paper.

Same thing with Bachelor's degrees. Some start with high salaries and jobs are a lock. Others are toilet paper. I used to put the salary results by degree and work experience on the overhead for my freshman students so they could make good decisions on what degree to major in. I forgot what the name of the survey is now, but it was annual and thousands of colleges participated in it.

Our school placement office subscribed to the survey so I just went over to the placement office every year and copied the results off on overheads. Your college should have a placement office with advisors who can give you information on that. Another thing I did was steer students towards internships because every student I had that did so had a job waiting for them when they graduated.

I agree with the nurse. That's what I did and now have a Masters degree doing something else but ALWAYS have a job to fall back on. Once you have an Associates in Nursing, you take the national board exam, and once you have that, are a Registered Nurse and can work anywhere!!! There are other things in healthcare that could be considered, also. Goodluck.

Most of the major hospitals in my area (including the hospital I was hired at) have quit hiring ADNs almost completely - unless you know someone, of course! - and are pushing the ADNs that they already hired to get their BSN, especially if they work in critical care. But Magnet certification is huge here and most of the major hospitals that aren't Magnet certified are trying to get Magnet certified. My hospital has a projected 100% BSN staffing rate by 2014. But who knows how that'll go. (On the other hand, no one really thought that the biggest hospital network in my area would fire all LPN staff in acute care areas by a projected date and they did.)

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

OP referred to having an interest in the culinary arts. And an interest in gaining further Ed.

Here's a Gr8 idea for ya: Combine culinary skills, with some Education in Business, with entrepreneurship, and Ride the popular trend, and make a fantastic FOOD TRUCK that people will be seeking you out for each and every delicious stop you make! Fun, Independent and (hopefully) Lucrative!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQl0bnSYhhM

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

It's clear that I want to go to culinary school however I feel that I should have something under my belt that is something with a little more stability, in the case that all else fails. Now, I don't want to spend a lot of time and money and effort on a full-length Bachelor program, so I'm considering the possibility of doing an Associates Degree, perhaps a general one, such as an associates degree in Science without a specialization.

What do you think? Any experiences or advice, or any other recommendations or ideas?

Thanks!

:)

An associates degree is practically worthless. It will cost about $2,000 a semester times 6.

My cousin did a 2 year nursing program at a community college and immediately got hired when she graduated....Maybe look into that...

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

An Associates is worth something if gets you moving towards a Bachelor's. By the way it is never a waste to have a degree, it shows that you are capabale of sticking to something. Mine is in English LIterature but I actually work in IT. My writing skills are excellent and they've helped me along the way even though my career didn't turn out to be what I studied in.

You started another thread sbout what the most popular jobs are in the area you're moving to so I'm guessing you're young and really haven't decided what you want to do with your life. Go with what you're interested in not the advice of others. Doing a job you don't love will kill your ambition faster then anything. Expect that you will change career at least once if not more in the next 20 years.

PS - degrees can be done part time, yes it takes what seems like forever, but it's doable.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

An associates degree is practically worthless. It will cost about $2,000 a semester times 6.

Hhhmmmm...

Mine is worth 50,000U$/year and I am one of the lower paid of my coworkers. Others easily make 27-40U$/hr depending on their field of work or specialty. It didn't cost me 8000$ to get, either. My planning and saving will possibly allow US to retire at 55. Not bad for a "worthless" degree. ADN's can easily get more. (I've considered taking a fast track program to get a BSN but..meh..why bother? We have enough.)

The average FAMILY, not worker, makes an average of 40,000$/year in the US (according to Dave Ramsey's statistics).

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline
Some culinary programs give you an associate's degree along the way. If you decide the AA is worth it, try to find a culinary program that includes it. It may take a semester or so longer.

I agree with the above statement. A basic AA in Liberal Arts/Sciences is basically a foundation degree to prep you for whatever BS/BA you want to follow up with.

That being said, higher education is a very smart move (especially in today's economical situation). But plan it out accordingly. There are 2-year degrees that are not so broad, pick a focus or specialization that you feel comfortable with. There are even certificate programs available that only take 18 months to complete.

And the time-tested phrase: it's not what you have, but what you do with it. Plan ahead, be aware of what could go wrong and what could go right, and explore all your options before committing.

But go for it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.