Penny Lane

Rescheduling Biometrics appointment.

14 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have an appointment for 10am on Tuesday for my biometrics. My husband is out of state currently, and last night, someone smashed his windshield of his car and he cannot get it fixed until tomorrow afternoon. He was supposed to be home tonight, but now I'm not sure he'll be home in time to take me to my biometrics on Tuesday due to the fact that he's over 8 hours away and biometrics is unfortunately another three and a half hours away.

My notice for biometrics has a box that I can tick if I need to reschedule my appointment and it would need to be sent to the office my appointment is at. I'm wondering how much notice needs to be given to them? If I put it in the mail tomorrow, will I still get a rescheduled date even though the mail likely won't reach the office before my scheduled interview time?

Should I call USCIS and explain?

I'm not really sure what to do here. Has anyone else had to reschedule biometrics at the last minute?

Thanks.

It's too late, take the cab or ask friends to give you a ride. He doesn't need to go with you.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

It's too late, take the cab or ask friends to give you a ride. He doesn't need to go with you.

I cannot afford to take a cab to a destination three and a half hours away. I also have nobody who can take off work on such short notice.

Do you actually know that it's too late, based on experience or based on someone else's experience? Or are you guessing?

Edited by Coconuts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I too believe that it's too late. Your letter could arrive on the day of the biometrics but unless it's processed right away you would have missed your appointment.

I suggest you hire a car (they're really not all that expensive honestly.. $35 + gas costs) and drive yourself.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

I don't think it's too late to reschedule. They won't consider your application abandoned for failure to show up for biometrics for at least a few weeks after the appointment. If you send it in the mail tomorrow (overnight) then they will know you want to reschedule before they consider your appointment abandoned. There may be a few days gap, but that's trivial. Good luck.

Edit: Alternately, if your husband will be home in a few days, I would just go a few days late. My husband tried for an early walk-in, and was refused. They told him they only accept walk-ins if it's after the appointment date, which leads me to believe people come late to their appointments from time to time.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I don't think it's too late to reschedule. They won't consider your application abandoned for failure to show up for biometrics for at least a few weeks after the appointment. If you send it in the mail tomorrow (overnight) then they will know you want to reschedule before they consider your appointment abandoned. There may be a few days gap, but that's trivial. Good luck.

Edit: Alternately, if your husband will be home in a few days, I would just go a few days late. My husband tried for an early walk-in, and was refused. They told him they only accept walk-ins if it's after the appointment date, which leads me to believe people come late to their appointments from time to time.

My husband will likely be home very late Monday night/early Tuesday morning. I might not make 10am, but I can definitely at least make it on Tuesday. Do you think they're going to give me problems if I'm an hour or two late? I'm going to call USCIS first thing in the morning to see what they suggest. Thanks for your help.

My husband will likely be home very late Monday night/early Tuesday morning. I might not make 10am, but I can definitely at least make it on Tuesday. Do you think they're going to give me problems if I'm an hour or two late? I'm going to call USCIS first thing in the morning to see what they suggest. Thanks for your help.

An hour won't make any difference. They're not waiting for you specifically - they just have to manage how many people come at one time. Good luck; let us know.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

An hour won't make any difference. They're not waiting for you specifically - they just have to manage how many people come at one time. Good luck; let us know.

unless they're super efficient. The USCIS office doing the biometrics are who say whether someone has arrived or not and I'm sure sometimes they're a little behind 'cause they're busy but sometimes they might not be. Hopefully they don't progress the people who miss their appointments until the next day but TECHNICALLY they can click that little button that says "did not come to appointment" as soon as your appointment time has passed and their case would be denied on those grounds.

They hopefully won't. You won't know until you try.

TECHNICALLY they can click that little button that says "did not come to appointment" as soon as your appointment time has passed and their case would be denied on those grounds.

This is incorrect. The process isn't deemed abandoned until weeks after the missed appointment. If, in the interim, someone shows up to do the appointment, then there is no problem. What basis do you have for making these claims about a "button" and that if you are one minute late your application will be denied. Do you think no emergency has ever happened to someone before?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

I called USCIS this morning and was told that if I miss my appointment tomorrow, I am still able to send the letter for it to be rescheduled and they will resend another appointment date. They understand that emergencies happen on the days of appointments, so there seems to be a grace period. Cases are only abandoned if attempts to reschedule aren't made.

Timeline

This is incorrect. The process isn't deemed abandoned until weeks after the missed appointment. If, in the interim, someone shows up to do the appointment, then there is no problem. What basis do you have for making these claims about a "button" and that if you are one minute late your application will be denied. Do you think no emergency has ever happened to someone before?

It's happened to a couple of people who missed it. I know some people have been fine but some people haven't been, and you therefore should err on the side of caution. Do you have evidence that says they'll give you a grace period?

It's kinda like talking about the ROC deadline. It is drilled into us that you NEED to file ROC before your GC expires, in that 90 day window. However people have been approved if they sent it after that date, some have received notices saying they've abandoned their status almost immediately after the card expires. I would never tell someone it's okay to file ROC late just because I know of people that have been fine, but if they DID miss it I would give advice on what their options are now.

OP - I would attend the same day. You might be fine. You most probably will be but there is still a chance, however small, that you won't be and so it would be remiss of us to tell you you would be 100% for sure be fine.

• 5 years later...
On 1/30/2012 at 11:53 PM, Penny Lane said:

I called USCIS this morning and was told that if I miss my appointment tomorrow, I am still able to send the letter for it to be rescheduled and they will resend another appointment date. They understand that emergencies happen on the days of appointments, so there seems to be a grace period. Cases are only abandoned if attempts to reschedule aren't made.

Hello I will need to do this for my case- how long did it take to reschedule your appointment? Did they give you a new appintment that was within a month of your original appointment?

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 3/25/2017 at 3:23 AM, Oyehope said:

Hello I will need to do this for my case- how long did it take to reschedule your appointment? Did they give you a new appintment that was within a month of your original appointment?

absolutely useless USCIS does not listen, they reschedule whenever they feel like it, never listening to when we are available.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.