Kevin&Lenith

Talk about things now, not later. Dont point fingers!

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey Kevin, very well said buddy! Surely someone that has yet to walk in your shoes will benefit from your post.

I wish you and Lenith the very best!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Great post!!! We have been talking alot about this stuff as well as others. For this reason I feel much more confidence in the strength of our relationship versus others I've had in the past. There's some stuff I hadn't really thought of before, too. Thanks!

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

This is a awesome post that should be stickied somewhere on the site!

Like you, Dave and I have known each other 7 years and we've been talking daily for at least the last four, despite the distance. The issues you've mentioned above have been rehashed over and over between the two of us over the years. It's definitely made the transition much easier because there are less surprises.

I've long suspected Dave doesn't always appreciate my "attacking" him the minute he walks through the door. :lol: Sometimes I can tell he's had a really long day and needs his space so I try to lay off on the attention-seeking-ness. But it's hard when, as you've pointed out, I've spent the day waiting for him to come home!

Anyway, thank you for the great post. Enjoy your lives together! :thumbs:

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Good post, si man.

Remember: Delayed homesickness can strike, months after arrival, regardless of preparation for it or not. This can be in the form of "I thought that I had life, culture, and adjustment all figured out, but I really don't."

-------

General things to remember in one's formerly long-distance relationship:

1. Take one day at a time.

2. Go for being happy over being right.

3. Avoid making mountains out of molehills.

4. Ask for help when you feel "in over your head" (a hard one, sometimes).

-------

For guys who are marrying Latinas, specifically:

1. Avoid criticizing her.

2. Avoid yelling at her.

Si, man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Great post! I've been reading a lot on this site regarding changes when couples are finally together, and this post is a great addition. It's a wonderful idea to prepare for the things you may encounter when your fiance gets here. I can't imagine how tough it must be to be alone in a new country during the day while your spouse is at work.

K1 Visa Timeline

01/13/2012 I-129F sent via USPS

01/16/2012 I-129F delivered

01/17/2012 NOA1 date on USCIS website

01/20/2012 Text and E-Mail Notification of NOA1!

01/20/2012 Check Cashed

01/23/2012 NOA1 Hardcopy

01/23/2012 Called USCIS to report that my fiance's name was misspelled on the NOA1

01/24/2012 Touched

01/26/2012 Received response to report, e-mail states error has been corrected.

02/08/2012 Touched

07/12/2012 NOA2! It took 177 days.

07/17/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy

07/20/2012 NVC received and forwarded to London

07/23/2012 Received in London

07/31/2012 Packet 3 received

08/02/2012 Packet 3 sent

08/16/2012 Medical

10/1/2012 Interview: APPROVED!

10/3/2012 Visa Issued

10/8/2012 Visa delivery

10/24/2012 POE Dublin

11/21/2012 Wedding

event.png

[uSCIS] cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good post, si man.

Remember: Delayed homesickness can strike, months after arrival, regardless of preparation for it or not. This can be in the form of "I thought that I had life, culture, and adjustment all figured out, but I really don't."

-------

General things to remember in one's formerly long-distance relationship:

1. Take one day at a time.

2. Go for being happy over being right.

3. Avoid making mountains out of molehills.

4. Ask for help when you feel "in over your head" (a hard one, sometimes).

-------

2. Avoid yelling at her.

Si, man.

Senor TBone, that is good advice, period.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hmmm...

I have a slightly different perspective.

I'd say that #1 and #2 need to be discussed and resolved before ever actually getting into a relationship. That is, while choosing a mate, be sure that both of you have the same viewpoint on how things will go. Dicuss such things up front, early on in the getting to know another phase.

Regarding item #2, I remember talking with women a few years ago and hearing them say things like... "I have a 15 y.o. angry son at home and I need a strong man to get him under control! I'm so tired of his late nights, drinking, drugs and violence!"

NEXT!! :rofl:

Item #3 definitely needs to be discussed and agreed upon prior to the fiance(e) arriving. When both parties approach life with knowledge and agreement beforehand, there should be few surprises.

Item #4... yes, cultural differences exist. But BOTH parties need to adjust. It isn't one-sided.

YMMV

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

oh this is so true me and my husband had relationship for a yea being away from each other with no fights at all but when i came over everything change i always complain about stuff specially him being so insensetive and we even go to that far were we both aggreed i will just come home but then at the end of the day realizing how much we love each other and how much we have put up with this whole relationship help us worked it out and its getting better day by day (not saying that we will not fight anymore) but being extra understanding to each other helped a lot and not only considering your self but the other person too plus filling my AOS helped it cos i can finally work soon and get a life here with new friends and all that good stuff i really believe staying home and doing absolutely nothing but taking care of the house frustrate the girls a lot specially when she left home with work and with a lot of people stayed with her family and then a sudden change...at the other hand its all worth it though cos finally ur with the man who u know had done so much for you so i think good communication heart to heart talk helps a lot. God bless everyone!

oh this is so true me and my husband had relationship for a year being away from each other with no fights at all but when i came over everything change i always complain about stuff specially him being so insensetive and we even go to that far were we both aggreed i will just come home but then at the end of the day realizing how much we love each other and how much we have put up with this whole relationship help us worked it out and its getting better day by day (not saying that we will not fight anymore) but being extra understanding to each other helped a lot and not only considering your self but the other person too plus filling my AOS helped it cos i can finally work soon and get a life here with new friends and all that good stuff i really believe staying home and doing absolutely nothing but taking care of the house frustrate the girls a lot specially when she left home with work and with a lot of people stayed with her family and then a sudden change...at the other hand its all worth it though cos finally ur with the man who u know had done so much for you so i think good communication heart to heart talk helps a lot. God bless everyone!

as1cJWCgQd30010Mzcwc3wxNTY1MzQwc3xCZWVuIEhhcHBpbHkgTWFycmllZCBmb3I.gif

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I agree with you, TBoneTX!

2. Avoid yelling at her.

I would say that we accept constructive criticism, without demoralizing or devaluing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.