kinoflic

Traveling After Wedding

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello VJ community,

I have searched the site about this type of question, but didn't find much on this topic. I have applied for a K-1 visa for my fiancée who is in Germany. Our goal is to get married in June 2012 for which we already started making arrangements. The issue here is that she has a good job in Germany. She works as a nurse and doesn't want to quit her job, leave her apartment, ship her belonging, etc., until she is able to work in the US. Is it possible for her to go back to Germany after the wedding until we wait for the papers? Was K-1 the right choice for our situation? Is there any better way we could do this?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you!

No. A K-1 is a one-time entry visa. Once she arrives she needs to get married, and file for Adjustment of Status. WIth AOS she can file for temporary travel permission, called Advance Parole. If she leaves before AP is approved and in her hands, she will not be able to reenter the US until she has secured a spousal visa (another year wait). She will have a few months where she cannot work or travel, sorry. There is a lot on this topic; in fact I think just yesterday someone asked the same thing. Once she gets her Permanent residence (Greencard) she does not need the travel permission anymore to travel.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

She can come back to Germany after your wedding but the K-1 visa would have been unuseful. If she is not ready to move until she is able to work, that would have been better to get married first, and then apply for the spousal visa. With it, she would have the right to work and travel freely once she arrives to the US (while with the fiancee visa, it takes few months to receive the employment authorization once she arrives to the US).

I suggest you read this link: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

She can't go back until she gets advance parole which takes 2-3 months to complete. But the employment authorization also takes 2-3 months as well... So I don't see the point.

You can also follow what the others advised above, you can withdraw your K-1 petition, get married now and file for CR-1 instead and start all the waiting over 9-12 months from now.

The good thing, she can continue working in Germany as much as she wants and when she get the CR-1 visa, she will get greencard upon entry to the US and can start working right way.

So it seems to me like you have to consider the priority.

Do you want to be together as soon as possible? or is her job, apartment and shipping hassle more important to you?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

well.. if she want that..

then get married and go CR1

so whats the issue with taking a 3 month vacation (while AOS is pending) while she is here in USA with you..?? nurse jobs should be easy to get.. they ALWAYS need Nurses..

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

Thank you all so much! Those are some great responses, I just wish I asked questions here before I rushed and applied for a K-1. I probably should've consulted with a lawyer also. I didn't realize that the US government would rather have you sit on a couch then generate an income that would be spent in the US.

If I cancel K-1 petition, get married and apply for CR-1, would she be able to travel to the US as usual or would there be a restriction on her travel? Is canceling a petition a smart move?

The reason she wants to keep working is because I am in school and not generating much income at the moment, and we don't really want to live off of my parents (they will be my co-sponsors). That is why she wanted to work continuously until I am out of school and then she would take here well-deserved vacation. Also, due to the wedding preparations, it would be easier to leave the troubles of relocation for after the wedding.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello VJ community,

I have searched the site about this type of question, but didn't find much on this topic. I have applied for a K-1 visa for my fiancée who is in Germany. Our goal is to get married in June 2012 for which we already started making arrangements. The issue here is that she has a good job in Germany. She works as a nurse and doesn't want to quit her job, leave her apartment, ship her belonging, etc., until she is able to work in the US. Is it possible for her to go back to Germany after the wedding until we wait for the papers? Was K-1 the right choice for our situation? Is there any better way we could do this?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you!

No. The K-1 was not a good choice. You chose it because it was faster. It reallyis not a faster way to get a green card and THAT is what you wanted. Speed of processing was not a valuable benefit for you.

She can go back to Germany but then you will have to file a CR-1 for her to re-enter as your spouse. You couldhave done that to begin with.

Thank you all so much! Those are some great responses, I just wish I asked questions here before I rushed and applied for a K-1. I probably should've consulted with a lawyer also. I didn't realize that the US government would rather have you sit on a couch then generate an income that would be spent in the US.

If I cancel K-1 petition, get married and apply for CR-1, would she be able to travel to the US as usual or would there be a restriction on her travel? Is canceling a petition a smart move?

The reason she wants to keep working is because I am in school and not generating much income at the moment, and we don't really want to live off of my parents (they will be my co-sponsors). That is why she wanted to work continuously until I am out of school and then she would take here well-deserved vacation. Also, due to the wedding preparations, it would be easier to leave the troubles of relocation for after the wedding.

Yes she can visit, she will need proof she will return but then, she always would.

You donot need any visa to get married,only for her to enter and remain as a permanent resident.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It sounds like she is using her head and has a very good reason to hang on to her job for as long as possible.

Sure you can withdraw the I-129F petition, get married, then submit a I-130 for your new wife. But "travel to the US as usual" would no longer exist with that I-130 in the system. She would now need to show very strong ties to Germany as proof that she has does not intend to immigrate here. Whereas previous trips she was a just a tourist, now with a pending I-130, in the eyes of a CBO, she has good reason to stay and she will have to prove otherwise.

It sounds as though she would be able to offer such strong proof that she has no plans to stay in the U.S. beyond any authorized stay. She would need to bring proof such as a letter from her employer explaining she is on vacation and is expected to return to work on a certain date, rental/lease agreement for her apartment, etc...

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

Thank you for your helpful responses, Harpa Timsah, didopage, GandK, skiptex, Gary and Alla and Leatherneck!

You made me reevaluate this whole process. I think that CR-1 (I-130) sounds like a right option for us. Yes, we will lose $300 by canceling K-1, but in the long run we will actually save more money.

My plan right now is to cancel K-1, get married in June as planned, and then apply for I-130. In the meantime, we will visit each other as usual. She works for the Red Cross in one of the big hospitals in Munich. I think that her employer's letter and apartment lease papers would be enough of proof for her to visit the US.

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.