Yodrak

Great Movie

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I saw a great movie on DVD last night, The Terminal, starring Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones, directed by Steven Spielberg. I think it will resonate with many VJers - the premise is a person coming to the USA who falls into an immigration 'black hole' due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. At the POE (JFK) the CBP finds that they can't admit him, they can't detain him, and they can't return him, so he spends the next 9 months living at Gate 67 in the terminal building. Many aspects of CBP trying to figure out what to do with him mirror experiences some of us have had with the various immigration agencies.

One scene involved an issue that some VJers would do well keep in mind - sometimes it's better to just give them what they ask for so that they can say 'yes' than to question why they want it. But it's a very short step from that to another issue brought out in another scene - when they offer you enough rope to hang yourself, don't do it.

Watch the movie but don't question the issue of law that the movie is based on too closely. Just enjoy the human reactions and relationships that develop as a result.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

I saw a great movie on DVD last night, The Terminal, starring Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones, directed by Steven Spielberg. I think it will resonate with many VJers - the premise is a person coming to the USA who falls into an immigration 'black hole' due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. At the POE (JFK) the CBP finds that they can't admit him, they can't detain him, and they can't return him, so he spends the next 9 months living at Gate 67 in the terminal building. Many aspects of CBP trying to figure out what to do with him mirror experiences some of us have had with the various immigration agencies.

One scene involved an issue that some VJers would do well keep in mind - sometimes it's better to just give them what they ask for so that they can say 'yes' than to question why they want it. But it's a very short step from that to another issue brought out in another scene - when they offer you enough rope to hang yourself, don't do it.

Watch the movie but don't question the issue of law that the movie is based on too closely. Just enjoy the human reactions and relationships that develop as a result.

Yodrak

IIRC it's (very loosely) based on a true story of someone who lived at Charles de Gaulle airport in France for the same reason.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It was a very interesting movie.. I liked it .. I liked the cart returning.. I always wanted to do that as a kid.

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

sparkofcreation,

Thank you for inspiring me to investigate more about the movie. I understand that there is speculation to the effect that an Iranian refugee at de Gaulle was the inspiration for the story, but there's no indication by the writers or any one else associated with the movie that it's the case.

Yodrak

IIRC it's (very loosely) based on a true story of someone who lived at Charles de Gaulle airport in France for the same reason.

i liked it too

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

i enjoyed some chuckles throughout this movie as well!!!

:thumbs::thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I love that movie!

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Seriously? I watched the first 15-20 minutes of the movie and I was so frustrated and annoyed by it that I turned it off and never finished it. I just couldn't take it!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Yep, great movie! We own the DVD :thumbs:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Other Timeline

That's one of our favorite movies. :D One of the main themes in the movie is "waiting", be it for a visa, a way home, a love, and ect. Vipul and I could relate to that.

-Jamie

November 18, 2005 - Visa in hand! (Day 184)

December 19th - Vipul arrives in US

March 22, 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD, and AP

June 6, 2006 - AP approved

June 9, 2006 - EAD approved

Feb. 5, 2007 - Becomes permanent resident

Dec. 9, 2008 - Filed I-751 to remove conditions

February 2009 - Conditions Removed - Next step Naturalization

November 19, 2009 - Filed for Naturalization!

dsc01090fw8.th.jpg

B2zLm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I am hard pressed to think of a bad movie with Tom Hanks, but anytime Hanks works with Spielberg special things happen. This one is one of his best!!

http://www.theterminal-themovie.com/

terminal1.jpg

Terminal%20set%20Hanks%201a.jpg

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

The guy at CDG could have left anytime he wanted to after 1999, though. They're saying now he's not quite right in the head.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I love that movie.... :luv:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---