JASMAR12

Petition for Minor Sibling

17 posts in this topic

I’ve been reading the threads about petitioning family member of US Citizen. What I see here parents are easy to petition but I have a younger sister (15years old) that I want to include. I just wonder if there is someone here has the same situation like me. Is it possible if I petition my sister and my parents together? How long it will takes? We are thinking if ever my dad comes here he will also petition my sister so we could know if which petition comes first. Is that possible? I need advice. Thank you. I hope I could from you guyz! Good luck to everyone. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Ive been reading the threads about petitioning family member of US Citizen. What I see here parents are easy to petition but I have a younger sister (15years old) that I want to include. I just wonder if there is someone here has the same situation like me. Is it possible if I petition my sister and my parents together? How long it will takes? We are thinking if ever my dad comes here he will also petition my sister so we could know if which petition comes first. Is that possible? I need advice. Thank you. I hope I could from you guyz! Good luck to everyone. :)

you can file for her but it will take over 20 years, but if your parents once they come they can file for her. the problem is that she isn't a derivative of their petitions. she can't come at the same time if you file for each of them now.

for siblings from the Philippines the wait is over 20 years, they are currently working on petitions from 1988. each petition is filed separatly, one i130 for each of them. your parents could come in a year or less, so who will they leave your sister with?

if they file, the wait is over 2 years.

Edited by aleful

Timeline

For F4 category from Philippines, it's more than 20+ yrs wait, not 10 yrs.

yes, I edited and corrected the waiting period once I checked the bulletin.

thanks

you can file for her but it will take over 20 years, but if your parents once they come they can file for her. the problem is that she isn't a derivative of their petitions. she can't come at the same time if you file for each of them now.

for siblings from the Philippines the wait is over 20 years, they are currently working on petitions from 1988. each petition is filed separatly, one i130 for each of them. your parents could come in a year or less, so who will they leave your sister with?

if they file, the wait is over 2 years.

What do you mean derivative of their petition? Can you please elaborate more. How about I petition her and when my dad comes here, my dad will petiton my sister. It's like double petition. Is that possible. I do appreciate your reply. I dont want my sister left behind and no one can watch her.

Timeline

What do you mean derivative of their petition? Can you please elaborate more. How about I petition her and when my dad comes here, my dad will petiton my sister. It's like double petition. Is that possible. I do appreciate your reply. I dont want my sister left behind and no one can watch her.

derivative means she would be under your father or mother's petition and she would get a GC at the same time.

but petition for parents don't allow derivative status, because sibling are petitioned separatly. you can't double petition. each petition is considered a new one, your father cannot piggy bank on your petition.

priority dates are frozen once they are received. if you file, she will have a petition and priority date. if your father petitioned her, that's a whole new petition with its own prioriy date. it's not worth the filing/

what you can do, is file for your father, and when he comes, he can file your mother and sister on the same petiton. LPR children under 21 are derivatives on their parent's petitions.

but your father will be separated from them for over 2 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

what you can do, is file for your father, and when he comes, he can file your mother and sister on the same petiton. LPR children under 21 are derivatives on their parent's petitions.

but your father will be separated from them for over 2 years.

:thumbs: or you can file for your mother and once she gets here she can file for your father and sibling. either way your sibling is NOT left alone.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

:thumbs: or you can file for your mother and once she gets here she can file for your father and sibling. either way your sibling is NOT left alone.

THANK YOU! How do you know its only take 2 years to get approved if my father petition my sister

Timeline

THANK YOU! How do you know its only take 2 years to get approved if my father petition my sister

its over 2 years. Here's a copy of the visa bulletin for February, check the date they are working on F2A category under the column for Philippines. they will be working on June 9th, 2009

the F2A category is for spouses and unmarried children under 21 of a LPR (Legal Permanent Resident)

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5640.html

your father would file for your mother, his wife as the main beneficiary, but your sister would be your mother's derivative on her petition. in that way he only has to pay one i130. it's not 2 years to get approved. the approval of the 130 only takes months, around 5 to 7 months, but then there is a waiting period until the interview, and more forms, payments and paperwork before that.

its over 2 years. Here's a copy of the visa bulletin for February, check the date they are working on F2A category under the column for Philippines. they will be working on June 9th, 2009

the F2A category is for spouses and unmarried children under 21 of a LPR (Legal Permanent Resident)

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5640.html

your father would file for your mother, his wife as the main beneficiary, but your sister would be your mother's derivative on her petition. in that way he only has to pay one i130. it's not 2 years to get approved. the approval of the 130 only takes months, around 5 to 7 months, but then there is a waiting period until the interview, and more forms, payments and paperwork before that.

I see. So, if i petition my father and mother together and my sister left behind she will be consider f2B. That will take longer. This is a hard decision.

Timeline

I see. So, if i petition my father and mother together and my sister left behind she will be consider f2B. That will take longer. This is a hard decision.

no. if you petition them it takes a year or less or even if it took a little longer than a year. so she'll be 16, if they file for her and let's say it took 3 years, she would be 19.

she's still F2A, she's only 15, she'll get the GC before she turns 21.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The other option is to petition for one parent while the other parent remains behind with your sister. The first parent to immigrate files for the second parent; this would be an F2a case. The second parent would be the beneficiary and your sister would be a derivative beneficiary. This saves you some money since only have to file two I-130s; one for the first parent and the other for the second parent and sister.

1 year = you petition dad --> sister is 16 years old

3 years = LPR dad files for mom (sister is derivative) --> at time visa numbers are available, sister will be 19 or 20. As long as sister is unmarried and her CSPA age is under 21, she can immigrate with mom.

Timeline

Oh guyz! You rock! Thanks for the advice. It was indeed a great help. :) But I have one more question what is the difference between F2A and F2B?

F2A spouses and unmarried children under 21 of a LPR

F2B unmarried children OVER 21 of a LPR

unmarried chidren over 21 always take more time to become a resident than minor unmarried children under 21.

Edited by aleful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I take it you are a US Citizen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.