HotPinay-KoolKano

Is my Bachelor Degree from the Philippines recognized in the US?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a Bachelor Degree from Mindanao State University. Will it be recognized by prospective employers here in the US, or what steps would be necessary to have the degree recognized here?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may offer.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

http://www.wes.org/

They 'translate' what you've got. The majority of your credits/grades will more than likely transfer no problem but there may well be one or two that don't or you maybe required to do a few extra subject/modules/credits (whatever they're called here) to complete it to the American equivalent.

Fingers crossed everything transfers for you!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a Bachelor Degree from Mindanao State University. Will it be recognized by prospective employers here in the US, or what steps would be necessary to have the degree recognized here?

I don't see any reason why it won't be. I moved here when I was in high school and I got credit for everything. I think the only issue you may run into with your foreign degree is if you decide to go to graduate school but then again there are program specific exams you can pass and it won't matter at that point. If you're in the health care industry like half the educated population is in the country then there are state licensing exams you can take and as long as you pass those like the NCLEX for nurses then I don't think it matters where you got your degree.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I work for an international company here and while they accept the degrees there are times when some of the things don't transfer over and you may be required to take some other courses/training to make it complete. That's the info I've gotten from the employees that moved here with a degree. I'm sure it won't be a huge issue.. good luck!

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Sis, Rea, I got my credentials evaluated by IERF and they are in SOCAL. Here is their website...http://www.ierf.org/

IERF suggests that if you're going to school in the USA, to get the comprehensive subject by subject analysis. If it

is for employment purposes, they suggest to get an equivalency report, which is what I did. IERF's rates are also

reasonable. God bless!

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

They are 2 separate things are you looking to continue your education based on the existing degree or looking to work for employer based on your degree.

If you are looking to go to school for higher education then yes you will have to get your degree evaluated and then school will make the call which classes they can accept and what additional classes you will have to take.

If you are looking to work then, your previous experience is what matters and if the employer sees you as a good fit for the role they are trying to fill.

Your previous experience working in the same or similar field is what counts in conjunction with your degree.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Based on experience, if you are in the Nursing or IT field, it may be easier for you (Nursing - you just need to be credentialed and pass the exams). Other courses - goodluck with that. You may need to have to enroll in Graduate Schools to move up, otherwise, 4 year degrees in Phils are just equivalent to a secondary schooling here. You may need to spend some money to be credentialed and go back to school.

Should be just fine.. I am a graduate of UP and I applied to different grad schools here in the US and was accepted into all of them. I just had my transcript evaluated by World Education Services (WES) and the results came out as equivalent to a US Bachelor's degree. I never had to take extra courses to get into grad school. I even got a tuition waiver in school and have a graduate assistant job. The key is not to feel inferior, just know your worth. I have gotten some ignorant comments from other people who don't know anything about the Philippines, and I just politely correct them. I work hard and study harder and that's all that matters. Goodluck! :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

• 4 years later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Working and Traveling During US Immigration to Welcome to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum.~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been removed -- its author has his own thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 3 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a bachelor's degree in education in the Philippines. I'm planning to get medical degree If I'm going to study again in US while working..is it possible? Is the college school there need to attend everyday?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2012 is now closed to further comment.

The most recent poster may start a new thread with the above query.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.