one...two...tree

Why are Americans spending a $1,000 a month to sit in traffic?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I've always maintained temporary domicile close to the office, where ever it is, and bike in, when I actually have to be in an office.

I maintain a farm or three, as well.

This commuting stuff? I refuse to do it, always living within 4 miles of the office.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So just move to a city where they have that. You are the guy they are looking for.

I probably will at some point. For now, I like my job.

My point was just that you can't simply argue that Americans chose to drive cars because they think cars are better than public transportation in general. They buy and drive cars because almost all Americans don't have access to good public transportation.

It's sort of like buying bottled water. Some people like bottled water and buy it no matter what. Others live in countries where the tap water can't be trusted. It's not really fair to say those people wouldn't like to drink out of the tap if the water was safe. It's just that they know it isn't, so they buy bottled water. Likewise, I drive a car because there isn't a viable alternate available, not because there aren't viable alternatives possible.

As far as independence goes, it's a matter of perspective. Neither your car nor the bus operate without outside intervention (unless you have a long term supply of gas in your back yard). As far as mobility, in a city I try to find somewhere to ditch my car so I can actually go places. It's more of a nuisance than anything.

Filed: Timeline
I think the problem is that most Americans haven't used good public transportation and thus assume that a car is the answer.

True. I need my car to get around here where I live. There is literally no public transport available. There are bus stops a few miles down the road but that service is worthless - takes 1.5 hours for a distance that I travel within 15-20 min by car. No way is that acceptable. That said, whenever I visit my folks in Germany, I would not be caught taking the car into Berlin. Not worth it. First, it takes me longer to get wherever it is I am going. Second, once there, I can't find a place to park the car. Third, once I find a place to park the car it costs a lot to park it. Add the cost of parking to the cost of gas and you'll end up cheaper using public transportation. Small group pass is EUR 15.00 or so for a day - and you can have up to 5 people riding on that pass. Any train, subway or bus within the greater Berlin metro area. Trains and buses are clean and comfortable and run in such high frequency that you'll never wait more than 10-15 min. Frequency decreases overnight but still remains acceptable.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The other problem is that many Americans have somewhat unreasonable expectations as to what public transportation should cost. Labor in the US is expensive so unsubsidized public transportation won't cost $1. It also won't be $20 and will be a good deal most of the time.

Every city in the US has unsubsidized public transport. They are called "taxis". Every other form of public transport is subsidized.

Russia and Ukraine have private unsubsidized publis transpiort, you are correct. The drivers get about $300 per MONTH in salary, there are virtually NO liability lawyers to constantly sue the owners, resulting in low insurance costs and small bribes take care of eliminating the other costs they would have to pay.

Just try to imagine what would happen if a private company tried to operate public transport (excluding taxis) in a US city without government being involved. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the problem is that most Americans haven't used good public transportation and thus assume that a car is the answer. It clearly depends on how developed the area is, but public transportation has its place. And when it's available and works, it's really a thing of beauty. It's far more convenient than a car (and cheaper, even unsubsidized). I don't know about the subways and city buses, but there is a thriving industry of private public transportation in Russia. It has no subsidies but is a fantastic and reasonably priced way to get around.

The other problem is that many Americans have somewhat unreasonable expectations as to what public transportation should cost. Labor in the US is expensive so unsubsidized public transportation won't cost $1. It also won't be $20 and will be a good deal most of the time.

It might be OK from time to time, but it sure as hell isn't more convenient...

I got around Toronto before Vanessa moved here quite easily with their buses, subways, and light rail (or whatever they call it) but I wished I had my car up there each time. They ran frequently and you didn't have to wait long for them, but being more convenient than a car it was not. I still had to go on their route, on their time schedule, along with a bunch of smelly people...

As I said in an earlier post, I like being able to do things on my schedule and ge there in a timely manner. If the car takes me 15 mins to get somewhere, but public transport takes 35-45mins depending, then it's not worth it.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

I don't know. Something like this? http://www.thefloridaexpressbus.com/index.html

Not exacty public transport and no different than Greyhound except that it's exclusive to Florida...

Also no different than http://www.megabus.com/

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

For me, public trans = $3.50/day + 2hours. Let's say those two hours are worth $12.50 each (since it's a nice walk, reading a magazine, etc. as opposed to sleeping or doing something more worhtwhile) and we come up with $28.50/day. Times five days a week and we get $142.50. Times four weeks a month and we get $570.

Average cost of car = $715

Public Trans for me = $570

Difference = $145

So, for less than $150/month I get to sleep in, run more errands after work, vary my route at my choosing, avoid the "winners" on the bus, and it only costs me about $5/day.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Timeline

I love cars. I love them so much that I have more cars then socks or underwear, combined.

One of the reasons why I moved to the U.S. is the weather. Nice weather, meaning sunshine and blue skies are essential for my well-being. But we have good weather in Italy or Spain or the South of France as well. But we don't have $4-a-gallon gas in Europe. We have $8 to $9-a-gallon gas there. And expensive registration. And tech inspections. And small streets.

None of this ####### where I live now in sunny California. I can enjoy life. I can drive any of my cars or ride any of my motorcycles to work, and I enjoy every minute of it. If you are driving a 50 or 70 or 100 year old car (I have all of those), commuting is not part of the rat race anymore; it's excitement! I am living my dream.

Fossil fuels are yummi!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

My job lets me take the work car home. So I don't give a sh!t about traffic, insurance or fuel prices. Once I leave the house and get in the car, I'm getting paid. :dance:

That being said, before getting divorced from the kids incubator our house was conveniently located to public transportation. I would ride my bike to the train station, take the train, ride my bike to the plant and then utilize the work car. Now that I'm da man here at work and my current house is in a more rural setting, it's not so convenient to use public transportation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It might be OK from time to time, but it sure as hell isn't more convenient...

I got around Toronto before Vanessa moved here quite easily with their buses, subways, and light rail (or whatever they call it) but I wished I had my car up there each time. They ran frequently and you didn't have to wait long for them, but being more convenient than a car it was not. I still had to go on their route, on their time schedule, along with a bunch of smelly people...

As I said in an earlier post, I like being able to do things on my schedule and ge there in a timely manner. If the car takes me 15 mins to get somewhere, but public transport takes 35-45mins depending, then it's not worth it.

The problem is that in a city where everyone has a car, everyone has to park. Not only does it become expensive, it's a hassle to find at any price. Hence the convenience. When a bus stop is at most a couple blocks away and runs every 10-15 minutes (or less, often), that becomes a lot more attractive than trying to find a place to park in Manhattan (or Moscow, or some other large city). I really can't speak about the situation in Toronto. Outside of cities, I prefer it for commuting simply because you can do something else while commuting. Even if the bus takes a little longer, it's time I can read, study, or prepare as opposed to having my eyes glued to the road and hands glued to the steering wheel.

Timeline

The problem is that in a city where everyone has a car, everyone has to park. Not only does it become expensive, it's a hassle to find at any price. Hence the convenience. When a bus stop is at most a couple blocks away and runs every 10-15 minutes (or less, often), that becomes a lot more attractive than trying to find a place to park in Manhattan (or Moscow, or some other large city). I really can't speak about the situation in Toronto. Outside of cities, I prefer it for commuting simply because you can do something else while commuting. Even if the bus takes a little longer, it's time I can read, study, or prepare as opposed to having my eyes glued to the road and hands glued to the steering wheel.

I see plenty of men/women using their knees to drive while shaving, putting on makeup, texting, talking, watching something on the "GPS (aka DVD Player), reading the sports section, eating breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc.. :lol:

Multi-tasking happens while driving!

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Before I had my kids, I worked in lower Manhattan & commuted. I have to say, I had no problems taking the subway. Like others have said, it was nice to have time to drink my coffee, read, etc. in the morning & on the way home. It would be nice if we had some reliable public transportation out here on Long Island.

HOWEVER, I have to add, now with kids I would much rather drive my minivan around. First of all, if there's an emergency I don't want to wait on public transportation to get me where I need to go (ex. phone calls from the school nurse). It also makes grocery shopping a heck of a lot easier too. If I were still single/no kids I'd totally use public transportation, but can you imagine me lugging these 3 on a bus? Chaos! Plus there's no carseats and I'm a safety freak.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Before I had my kids, I worked in lower Manhattan & commuted. I have to say, I had no problems taking the subway. Like others have said, it was nice to have time to drink my coffee, read, etc. in the morning & on the way home. It would be nice if we had some reliable public transportation out here on Long Island.

HOWEVER, I have to add, now with kids I would much rather drive my minivan around. First of all, if there's an emergency I don't want to wait on public transportation to get me where I need to go (ex. phone calls from the school nurse). It also makes grocery shopping a heck of a lot easier too. If I were still single/no kids I'd totally use public transportation, but can you imagine me lugging these 3 on a bus? Chaos! Plus there's no carseats and I'm a safety freak.

I can easily see how that would be the case. I would not want to be a mom trying to handle a pram on a bus around here!

When I was injured and on the bus, it really bugged my boyfriend that he couldn't ferry me around on his motorcycle or drive me to doctor's appointments. There was no way in hell I would have wanted to ride pillion anyway with my back injuries -- the potholes are terrible on many of the major streets. Last year when the rains came with a vengeance, major chunks of the street washed away. One night, in a storm, I rode through a massive puddle, nay, small pond on Robertson Boulevard. When I emerged, I had a five inch gash on a tire from a mystery poky-thing, which I discovered when I got a flat a mile down the road.wacko.gif

Buses seemed to be handling the pond just fine though!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que