shure

Is the phone u use in the philippines will work in US with roaming sim card?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi once again VJ's Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...Just wanna get some of your ideas .If I bring my cell phone to US u think will work?Is anyone here already brought their phones?Bcuz I would like it bring it with me but if its not working there I will just give it to my brother. Thank u in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If it has international roaming service, then it would work. The best thing is that you must have to check out with your provider about your mobile connection & its services, as they will give you better answer.

XrVRp5.png

You can send text and receive vice versa, don't foret to activate the roaming before leaving the country.

Dec 15,2009 - Assigned interview date on January 24,2010!!

Jan. 24, 2010 - Interview!! Approved

Jan. 28, 2010 - VISA received

Mar. 03,2010 - POE, New York (JFK)

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

May 20,2010- CA Driving License

May, 25,2010-Wife told me that she is pregnant ^_^

Jan.25,2011- Our daughter was born

Lee and Jen + Karenza

I'm sure it will work, but will be expensive. If it is prepaid (like most phones in Indonesia), expect it to be finished after 1 phone call. Here I buy $5 worth of prepaid (called Pulsa here) and that is good for a month of phone calls, including international calls to the US at 1 penny a minute. In America cell phone calls are so wildly expensive the $5 after international roaming might not last 3 text messages.

If you are on a Contract in the Philipines then get ready for a hell of a bill. If I put my U.S. AT&T sim card in my iPhone here in Bali even for 1 hour with data and all else that is going on my phone bill in the U.S. from AT&T will be far in excess of $300, and that's for an hour.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Maybe in my case with your same question I really don't know if these phone stores in the US Screwed me over or not. I was told the phone will not work. So they sold me a cheap Motorala for $40.00 and UNLOCKED IT. Then they said: Upon your arrival at the Airport or shop buy a new Sim Card that will work there. E-bay sells these cards for double the price you would pay in the Phils. I just was'nt worth it. We just used Mav's phone. I was with her 100% of the time and never had to make any calls. A ealier post indicated: GSM ? That is true.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Hi! You can use the Globe OFW SIM here in the U.S. That's what I did when I brought my Nokia phone from the Philippines. There will be 2 SIMs in the pack and one will be the OFW SIM, the second will be a Family SIM that you will need to leave with someone in the Philippines. If they load credits on the Family SIM at least once every 30 days, the OFW SIM that you use here in the U.S. will have a zero maintaining balance. It will only cost them Php1 to send text messages to your OFW SIM from the Philippines but it will cost you Php15 to txt them back. They will also charge you for receiving incoming calls (I believe it's Php80 per minute). A good alternative would be the MagicJack ;)

F & J

I-130 / IR-5 TIMELINE (Petition for Mother)

2016/11/14 — I-130 sent via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-Day

2016/11/15 — I-130 delivered at 11:20 am in PHOENIX, AZ 85034 to BANK ONE, signed for by J LOPEZ; Priority Date  |  2016/11/17 Receipt Date

2016/11/18 I-797C Notice Date; USCIS Acceptance Confirmation Email, case routed to Nebraska Service Center  |  2016/11/21I-797C Postmark

2017/01/18 I-797 Approval Notice Date  |  2017/01/19I-797 Postmark  |  2017/01/23 I-797 Approval Notice hard copy received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Its expensive either way

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

In 2009, I gave my one of Indian postpaid phone to my wife while she was on the way back for USA to renew the visa. She had one stop in Germany. I called her, she picked up, and we talked almost 20 min or more on International roaming, and when I got phone bill, I was not charged any single penny! They forgot to charge! :)

XrVRp5.png

Is the phone quadband and unlocked/open line? if so yes you will be fine, in the USA you can use the GSM phone with ATT or Tmobile (the only 2 big carriers that use sim cards) Tmobile offers a cheaper plan for those that already own phones off contract, but coverage isnt as good as ATT (whom is more expensive)

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Timeline

Hi once again VJ's Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...Just wanna get some of your ideas .If I bring my cell phone to US u think will work?Is anyone here already brought their phones?Bcuz I would like it bring it with me but if its not working there I will just give it to my brother. Thank u in advance

Thanks everyone for your quick reply, may you have a prosperous new year...And goodluck to all

Timeline

Smart and Globe does.. I have both and they work fine in the USA and you receive text for FREE.. just need a 100 peso charge every 90 days to keep it active. You can load yourself at artry .com or something like that just google smart globe load and it comes up and other websites also

We had a smart roaming card and it has worked pretty much everywhere in the US. With the SMART card, you don't need to keep a balance on it. We hadn't loaded the sim card in quite sometime (over a year with zero balance). We just kept that sim card for my wife's family to txt to cheap. We are now in Italy, and the SMART sim doesn't work (SMART doesn't have an agreement with any of the carriers in Italy).

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

You can send text and receive vice versa, don't foret to activate the roaming before leaving the country.

What you want to do, is keep your phone. Get an international roaming SIM from Globe or Smart, activate it before leaving to US, and then get a Chikka.com acct, and then you can text back and forth to the PI for cheap. You can reload your card with Aryty.com

Then, when you go back to the PI to visit, you will have a phone to use right away when you land.

It's better to just get a new phone in the US, because then you won't be limited to a certain carrier that might have poor or no coverage in your area.

Buy your family member another phone, if it makes you feel bad to keep your phone.

Congratz!

:star:

Edit: Your phone will need to be a tri-band or quad band to do this in US.

Edited by Boing!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from IR-1/CR-1 forum as topic does not relate to the immigration process and is more appropriate in this forum

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.