Sevenartists

Centrelink

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello. Me and my fiancee are currently working on getting our K1 visa so I can go back to the US to marry her. We've already gotten our NOA1, and we're awaiting our NAO2.

Now, I'm currently looking for work, and I've gotten onto Centrelink's Newstart Allowance. Similar to wellfare, I have to be actively looking for a job in order to qualify, so it's not like I'm sitting back and doing nothing.

I'm wondering how this will effect my chances of getting the visa? I had heard immigration looks back on your work history. I had spent 12 months in the US on a temporary visa before arriving back in Australia this previous September. With the exception of the first and last week there, I've always had a job. And I held a ob for about a week before getting on Centrelink.

I just want to know if this will effect my chances. I don't want to find out I suddenly just messed things up for us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

They don't care about your (the beneficiary's) work history, they want to know about hers, as in, can she financially support you.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thank you for the quick answer :) the main thing we were worried about is if the consulate would see him using centrelink and think he is likely to become a public charge. I make more than enough to sponsor him by myself, so that isn't a problem :D We were just afraid they would look at that and think he won't be working, because he has no problem finding and keeping a job in America :thumbs: Thank you!

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you for the quick answer :) the main thing we were worried about is if the consulate would see him using centrelink and think he is likely to become a public charge. I make more than enough to sponsor him by myself, so that isn't a problem :D We were just afraid they would look at that and think he won't be working, because he has no problem finding and keeping a job in America :thumbs: Thank you!

There are two sides to the public charge determination. The first is determining if the beneficiary is likely to be self-supporting. The second is determining if there is a qualified sponsor who can submit a sufficient affidavit of support.

What they will consider about the beneficiary for making the public charge determination are:

1. Age

2. Health

3. Family status

4. Assets, resources, and financial status

5. Education and skills

If the beneficiary is young and healthy then that's usually enough. The other factors become more important as the beneficiary becomes older.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Ok, he's 23 (soon to be 24), healthy, stable family in Australia, no financial assets or resources, bachelors in media arts and lots of hospitality certificates, is that fine? We are two worrywarts lol

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok, he's 23 (soon to be 24), healthy, stable family in Australia, no financial assets or resources, bachelors in media arts and lots of hospitality certificates, is that fine? We are two worrywarts lol

Being on Centrelink payments is totally fine and not even a consideration. They don't ask about the beneficiaries income. Trust me when I say Australia is a very easy consulate and I don't think he will have any problems based on what I've read about your case.

As with many questions, a lot of stuff is country dependant so I would advise you to post qn's that are Aussie dependant in the Aussie chat page because we actually know about Centrelink and how they feel about it. It will stop you from worrying over answers that really don't relate.

Again, Centrelink is NOT an issue and they don't even ask/talk about it. Newstart is just financial support from the government while he looks for a job, one of the many things I miss about Aus, the government actually giving a sh*t about you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.