shakurmaria

Husband's sister wants to visit US - Lives in Lagos Nigeria

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My husband's sister would like to visit us during the summer. She resides in Lagos, Nigeria. How does she go about obtaining a visa, and what are the requirements? Please help us. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from Bringing Family Members... to Tourist visa as OP does not intend for the sister to immigrate *****

OP, the sister will need to qualify on her own, that is, show ties to her home country (good job, property, husband and kids staying home etc). You and your husband can write a letter of invitation saying what you plan to do and that you will pay any expenses, but it will do little good.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

1st n foremost,she has to show she has a strong tie in Nigeria.tourist visa is hard to obtain in Lagos.

Since your husband isnt a citizen yet and his sister is just visiting,the CO in lagos is always adamant to issue visa.she might wait for months to ve an appointment date.

Letter from her place of work

Consent from her husband if married

If available Pics

But the embassy hardly looks at docs

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Nigeria is the hardest place to get a visitors visa from. The assumption from all places is that you are trying to get to the US to overstay and you must convince them otherwise. For the conventions for my husbands tribe the invited speakers include government officials, doctors, teachers, nollywood stars and 90% get denied for "lack of sufficient ties" . If these people have troubles you can imagine what you face. Gather the best proofs that she will return and don't buy a ticket until the visa is in hand.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

She needs to go to the visa section in nigeria.usembassy.gov and fill out the Ds-160 form online. she shd remember to save the password and security question she chose. then after that make a $140 visa payment a Guarantee Trust Bank ( I think they need to see the applicant's passoprt or copy of it) use the receipt number and register (create user name and passowrd with email) to book appointment on the VFS. (company on the embassy website who cordinates the appointment bookings). the wait times are long though. my sister booked abt 2 weeks ago and was only able to get a date in March ending !!! so have this in mind when u r fiiling out the Ds-160 cos they will ask for your intended time of travel.

As others have said , very difficult to get a tourist visa and THEY HARDLY LOOK at documents regardless of what you are presenting.

Good luck

Edited by ndu26

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

His sister is 16 years old. She would just be coming over the summer to US to visit us and then go back. Is this possible due to her age? Please advise. Thank you.

She needs to go to the visa section in nigeria.usembassy.gov and fill out the Ds-160 form online. she shd remember to save the password and security question she chose. then after that make a $140 visa payment a Guarantee Trust Bank ( I think they need to see the applicant's passoprt or copy of it) use the receipt number and register (create user name and passowrd with email) to book appointment on the VFS. (company on the embassy website who cordinates the appointment bookings). the wait times are long though. my sister booked abt 2 weeks ago and was only able to get a date in March ending !!! so have this in mind when u r fiiling out the Ds-160 cos they will ask for your intended time of travel.

As others have said , very difficult to get a tourist visa and THEY HARDLY LOOK at documents regardless of what you are presenting.

Good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

His sister is 16 years old. She would just be coming over the summer to US to visit us and then go back. Is this possible due to her age? Please advise. Thank you.

Her chances of getting a visitor visa is virtually nil.

Marriage (if applicable): 2007-09-08

I-130 sent: 2008-08-05

I-130 approved: 2009-04-08

Case Completed at NVC: 2009-04-08

IR-1 Visa Received: 2011-01-21

US Entry: 2011-01-29

SS card received: 02-26-2011

10 years GC Received: 03/10/2011

Citizenship eligibility Criteria: 3 years

10-31-2013: Eligibility Date

02-07-2014: Application Sent

02-11-2014: Application Received

02-11-2014: Priority Date

02-18-2014: NOA Received

02-20-2014: Bio-metric Letter sent Date

03-11-2014: Bio-metric Date

03-13-2014: In-line for Interview

04-10-2014: Interview Letter Sent Date

05-20-2014: Interview Date

06-19-2014: Oath Ceremony

06-21-2014: Applied for U.S passport Book (expedite-$60)

06-23-2014: Passport Application received

06-26-2014: Passport Completed processing and mailed

06-27-2014: Passport Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Absolutely nil if you do not try.

I wonder why it seems so easy for Nigerians to get visa's for the UK?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You know it's really funny how people feel about applying for visas and the advice or opinions they are willing to share with others. My wife is from China and when we first started dating I invited her to come to the US for a visit. She had never been but had been to Europe and all over SE Asia. Now China is a high fraud country (I don't know the statistics so maybe not seen to be as bad a Nigeria) and at the time she was a single 26 year old. All her friends and colleagues said "don't bother applying" and "No need to apply they won't give you a visa". Of course none of them had ever applied. I finally said to her "If you don't apply for it you certainly won't get it." It turned out to be a 3 minute interview and she was approved. She even told them she was going to visit her American boyfriend.

I'm not suggesting that the OP's SIA will be presenting the same proofs and evidence that my now wife did back then. The point is if you don't apply you won't get it. So telling someone that their chances of getting a visa are virtually nil without knowing them or their life circumstances is counter productive.

The OP knows it is not an easy visa to get thats why she is posting here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.