one...two...tree

"... one of every four American wage earners is making less in real terms than did minimum wage earners in 1968..."

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

How many years of fatigue and punishment it takes to learn the simple truth that work, that disagreeable thing, is the only way of not suffering in life, or at all events, of suffering less. –Charles Baudelaire

Last July, a Pew Research Poll offered evidence of what most of us already suspected: More than half the U.S. labor force had suffered some "work related hardship"—a layoff, a cut in pay or benefits, a reduction in work hours, a demotion. Statistics are suspect, of course, but there is reason to believe this one carries weight: Today, one of every four American wage earners is making less in real terms than did minimum wage earners in 1968. Youth in particular are hard hit; unemployment for 16 to 20-year-olds is a staggering 24 percent, and many recent college grads lucky enough to nail a job are chronically under-employed. For the first time in modern history young people are being cautioned to lower their expectations. As a teacher, I sense the growing trepidation. As the mother of two young adults, I feel it, powerfully, so powerfully that I've agreed to write a book on work and its meaning in the 21st century. I'd like your help, but first, some background.

On its face, "meaningful work" may sound elitist, an offshoot of late 20th century "professionalism" that encouraged the privileged few to "express themselves" through their jobs. And historically, the widespread demand for meaningful jobs is new, a consequence of developments stretching back barely a generation. But the decline of manufacturing and the rise of the knowledge economy created the conditions by which the pursuit and promise of meaning in one's job grew dramatically. And business experts tell me it continues to grow, that young people are more than ever striving to find meaning in work. Today, some employers exploit this trend, offering employees "meaning" as well as money, claims boosted by best-selling authors and motivational speakers who enthuse that meaning can be "made" for employees. Such claims should give us pause—we're talking about a job here, not a religious experience. And it's notable that the word "job," traced to its 16th-century origins, is defined as a mean and piddling affair, a crude way of turning a buck, not a passport to enlightenment.

But while the impulse to find meaning in one's job may seem naive and vulnerable to corporate distortion, the drive to find meaning in work is not. Our modern tragedy is to mistake a job for work, and to expect any particular job to bring us not only opportunity and income, but meaning, exhilaration, purpose. More than 40 years ago, Ralph Helstein, then president emeritus of the United Packinghouse Workers of America, shared his thoughts on this in Stud Terkel's classic Working: "Learning is work. Caring for children is work. Community action is work. Once we accept the concept of work as something meaningful—not just as the source of a buck—you don't have to worry about finding enough jobs."

http://www.theatlant...ningful/250131/

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So much for Obama improving things for the "little guy" Another Obama failure.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

This hasn't happened over the last three years, it's been happening over the last three decades. Wanna thank a President for it, Reagan and his voo-doo economics as GHWB fittingly labeled it would be the right one. But of course, reality often gets lost on you, Gary.

Race-to-the-Bottom.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I love how all the problems that have developed up until this point somehow all manage to be Obama's fault. :whistle: Now as for fixing these problems, I'm sorry but I blame the inability to fix problems more on congress than I do any president.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I love how all the problems that have developed up until this point somehow all manage to be Obama's fault. :whistle: Now as for fixing these problems, I'm sorry but I blame the inability to fix problems more on congress than I do any president.

No one is truly blaming Obama, everyone is angry at the smoke and mirrors of the Obama campaign though. Well, that is except for those of us who knew exactly who he was/what was going to happen when he came into office.

The fact of the matter is, Washington doesn't run Washington and it hasn't for almost a century now.

The problem with the left and the right in this country is that they confuse "appeasement" with actual progress. You may get a little payroll tax break here and there or you may see a better jobs report here and there, but the fact of the matter is, those who control the money will always continue to make the money and the balance of power will never shift until the sheeple wake up from their drone state they've been in. This is almost impossible though with a population as large as ours. It makes things much easier to control.

NOTHING in this nation will ever truly change until someone has the balls to gather up a militia and march on Washington. You want to know why the new defense bill is as big as it is? That's exactly what the "man behind the curtain" is afraid of. Too much unrest these days and too many people talking revolution. It scares the ####### out of them.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

The fact of the matter is, Washington doesn't run Washington and it hasn't for almost a century now.

That's the problem. We elect these people and they do not govern for us... and people ARE pissed. The media has tried so hard to delegitimize the Occupy movements and to basically dumb us down, but any educated person can through that and draw their own conclusion to see what's going on... if they truly want to.

Edited by Susita

Timeline

That's the problem. We elect these people and they do not govern for us... and people ARE pissed. The media has tried so hard to delegitimize the Occupy movements and to basically dumb us down, but any educated person can through that and draw their own conclusion to see what's going on... if they truly want to.

In all fairness, even in random 'man on the street' interviews with the "occupy" people, they did enough to make themselves look stupid.

No one is going to get any sympathy from anyone when they are either a) stoned b)demanding free college c) can't speak proper English d)don't even really know why they are down there or what they want.

A "movement" needs some solidarity. Unfortunately this "movement" isn't a movement at all, but just a bunch of punks with nothing better to do with their free time.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Americans are the richest people in the world. Suck it up, losers.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

In all fairness, even in random 'man on the street' interviews with the "occupy" people, they did enough to make themselves look stupid.

No one is going to get any sympathy from anyone when they are either a) stoned b)demanding free college c) can't speak proper English d)don't even really know why they are down there or what they want.

A "movement" needs some solidarity. Unfortunately this "movement" isn't a movement at all, but just a bunch of punks with nothing better to do with their free time.

I beg to differ, as I personally know a few Occupy Protesters (in NYC, anyway). I am related to one of them! She's far from a hippie, she's a college educated mother of three, such as myself. Many of the marches on Wall Street included a large amount of union workers, representatives & the Working Families Party participated as well.

I've noticed that what the media likes to cover and the reality of what is actually going on are two entirely different realities. (I'm in no way saying there's not any stoned, free-college asking, bad-english-speaking hooligans down there. I'm just saying that they're the minority, not the majority, and that the media conveniently finds only those people to interview).

Timeline

How does/did she have the time to be down there?

She's not sleeping in the park (well she couldn't be anyway, since it was evicted). She has participated in various demonstrations and continues to do so. I know she was there for #D17. She lives a heck of a lot closer to Manhattan than I do, and she does have a husband... and grandma & grandpa I'm sure take the kids for the day sometimes. Just, instead of sending the kids to gma & gpa's for the day so she can go to the hair salon, she heads to Wall St.

To make a long story short, this is my cousin & she has a child who suffers from a muscular disease that will slowly but surely disable him. The insurance company (it's Wall Street run) has refused to pay for treatments, and made things a living hell for them. Paying to get this kid the care he needs has literally bankrupt them, and fighting with the insurance company has caused so much stress in their family.

People make time for the things that are important to them. This little guy makes it worth it. If the same thing happened to one of my kids, you can be damn sure I'd have my butt out there protesting in the freezing cold too.

I found a good article on this issue: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-rome/next-occupy-wall-streetru_b_1005196.html

Timeline

She's not sleeping in the park (well she couldn't be anyway, since it was evicted). She has participated in various demonstrations and continues to do so. I know she was there for #D17. She lives a heck of a lot closer to Manhattan than I do, and she does have a husband... and grandma & grandpa I'm sure take the kids for the day sometimes. Just, instead of sending the kids to gma & gpa's for the day so she can go to the hair salon, she heads to Wall St.

To make a long story short, this is my cousin & she has a child who suffers from a muscular disease that will slowly but surely disable him. The insurance company (it's Wall Street run) has refused to pay for treatments, and made things a living hell for them. Paying to get this kid the care he needs has literally bankrupt them, and fighting with the insurance company has caused so much stress in their family.

People make time for the things that are important to them. This little guy makes it worth it. If the same thing happened to one of my kids, you can be damn sure I'd have my butt out there protesting in the freezing cold too.

I found a good article on this issue: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-rome/next-occupy-wall-streetru_b_1005196.html

wait, so she's protesting a company who's contract she signed/agreed to?

I'm sorry, I have zero sympathy for people like that.

We all makes choices. Insurance isn't there to be your saviour in life. Insurance is there for you to use under the condition in which is set in your contract that you sign when them and the one they sign with you. They tell you what's covered and not covered and the situations in which it's covered in. If you don't like it, you can pay cash for health care.

The problem with this country today is GREED all around. Greed from the wealthy and the poor. Demanding a company who you pay $300/mo. keep paying $10,000/month out on your medical expenses is absurd.

Too many people connect Insurance with Health Care. They are two VERY different things. Your "health care" should be taken care of without insurance. Yes, costs are out the butt on health care and you can thank regulation in the industry and malpractice for that as well. That's on top of the lack of doctors in special fields due to a lack of education centers. There again, you can thank the AMA for that as well.

Nothing about the "cost" of health care has to do with "insurance." The only "insurance" that has any effect on "cost" is medicaid/medicare because they don't alway cover a doctor's/office's cost for procedures. Regular Blue Cross, Humana, etc.. they pay negotiated rates to doctors, hospitals, etc.. It's why some doctors accept certain forms of insurance and don't accept others.

Too much igorance is involved in the health care debate and it's utter stupidity to protest the company that has nothing to do with your health care. People need to protest Washington, The Lawyers, the AMA, etc. if they want to fix health care, not the insurance companies. As long as people keep ignoring the BIG picture, the more people will suffer.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

wait, so she's protesting a company who's contract she signed/agreed to?

I'm sorry, I have zero sympathy for people like that.

Signed/agreed to contract? Her husband receives his health care plan from his employer. Every year now, their premiums are going up and up, the companies are making record profits, and every year the services they provide go down and deductibles go up. There are no other jobs out there at the moment, so they're stuck with this insurance plan. Not to mention, they have a child who, without the proper treatment, can and may die by age 21.

Regardless of the changes, the insurance company's experts also decide why treatments aren't necessary and deny them, regardless of what is recommended by the baby's physicians and surgeons and regardless of what is spelled out in their plan.

I do have sympathy for people like that. What can I say? I'm human. And I'm a mother. And I'm family.

Timeline

Signed/agreed to contract? Her husband receives his health care plan from his employer. Every year now, their premiums are going up and up, the companies are making record profits, and every year the services they provide go down and deductibles go up. There are no other jobs out there at the moment, so they're stuck with this insurance plan. Not to mention, they have a child who, without the proper treatment, can and may die by age 21.

Regardless of the changes, the insurance company's experts also decide why treatments aren't necessary and deny them, regardless of what is recommended by the baby's physicians and surgeons and regardless of what is spelled out in their plan.

I do have sympathy for people like that. What can I say? I'm human. And I'm a mother. And I'm family.

You do realize you can shop around for your own insurance plan and a lot of times it's cheaper than the employer plans, right? Oh that's right, people don't use their heads and think logically in a "gimme gimme gimme" society.

and yes "agreed to" - He signed up for it, he chose to take it, and therefore agreed to those terms. As far as "record profits" go, you do realize that insurance companies don't make their "profits" off of the premiums, right? They would be out of business if they did that. Insurance is also heavily regulated on top of that of what they can/cannot do with the money from premiums and the way they must secure/invest the money.

People get all "angry" when premiums go up, but then fail to realize what INSURANCE is. What happens when you run a red light and get a ticket? Your car insurance goes up, right? Same if you get into an expensive accident. Insurance = risk. The more of a risk you (or your company is) the more you are going to pay. If you work for a company with a lot of old people who need care all the time, buy your own plan, it will be cheaper. Each company is its own "pool" of people and when that "pool" uses the plan alot, premiums will go up. It's the way it works, because insurance isn't supposed to be for "every day" use.

The argument in this country on Health Care needs to be about Health Care, not insurance. It's the "cost" of the care that's the problem. Nothing more, nothing less.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!