Satisfaction

What behavior do you dislike the most in Americans?

What behavior do you dislike the most?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. A list concocted with acquaintances/friends

• selfishness
    • rudeness
    • laziness
    • prejudice
    • superficiality
    • ignorance
    • arrogance
    • hypocrisy
    • irresponsability
    • immaturity
    • "materialisticism" (not sure if that word exist?)
    • inepty

41 posts in this topic

Good poll!!

I have to say ignorance - so many (not all) do not have a clue what goes on outside of the US!!! I mean no clue whatsoever about other countries and how they live! I mean how many more americans wanna ask me "Do you know Mike from England?" :wacko: or "So, when do you visit the queen?" :blink:

Also the whole fakeness thing - people acting like your best friend after meeting them 2 mins ago! I mean its nice if they follow through and call you like they say but more often than not they won't!!

There is so many cool, lovely Americans though :thumbs:

I'm sure there is plenty that can be said about us English though....... :lol:

Samantha :star:

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

<_<

I can see the reverse of this, what do you dislike about (insert foreigner of choice), going down REAL well...hmmmm

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
<_<

I can see the reverse of this, what do you dislike about (insert foreigner of choice), going down REAL well...hmmmm

I agree Frances....when the shoe is on the other foot this might be one hectic and heated thread, and not very well received at all. I didn't vote on this cos people are people..and you encounter all the above in lots of countries.

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

I didn't vote on this cos people are people..and you encounter all the above in lots of countries.

:thumbs:

Edited by pax

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I didn't vote on this cos people are people..and you encounter all the above in lots of countries.

I couldn't agree more :yes:

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I couldn't agree more :yes:

None of the above wasnt listed,so no vote! where do you think the saying "you can count your true freinds on one hand" came from! Thats one thing that absolutley drives me nuts on this site, is all the love,hugs,kisses! coming from strangers, its so easy to type.It's another to actually do something to help someone! A cyber HUG? Give me a break!

Marc

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

left out chopf##kness

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
:help: this is going to get nasty

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Can't believe all these people bad mouthing this poll. Can't they see that it applies to Americans 'in general' and not every American will fit the bill but we are talking about the majority here. Its like saying "Brits love drinking tea" and for the most part, that is true but im a Brit and I dont drink tea! Talking about the majority. And Englishsammy, have to agree with the ignorance thing. Most Americans dont own a passport and have never stepped outside of America! They think America is the world and there are no other countries on the planet! Another thing is the 'overpromising, under delivering' thing; again, so so true in most cases.

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

personally, i don't take offense to this ... i am thinking about others here. i merely suggested that it was in bad taste to start a poll such as this when you single out one nationality, race, or country. that is a true statement.

try substituting the word 'americans' in this poll with african-americans, italians, indians, jewish, christians, muslims, etc and this thread would have been locked a LONG time ago!! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Its like saying "Brits love drinking tea" and for the most part, that is true but im a Brit and I dont drink tea! Talking about the majority.

It's a big difference. There's nothing wrong with drinking tea, and nothing offensive about suggesting that someone does (perhaps slightly offensive to assume that one does only because one is British, but otherwise, no harm done). On the other hand, the OP's poll does not mention rather harmless personal predilections, but deep, negative character flaws that are assumed to be shared by all, or at least a great many, Americans.

And this is not, as others have suggested, an appropriate place for such a poll. By virtue of having met and become engaged with persons from countries outside of the United States, the vast majority of VJers are NOT the provincial, ignorant, untraveled Americans at which your dislike (or, perhaps more accurately, your snobbery) should be directed. Many Americans cannot afford to travel abroad, for example. The United States is a large country and is thus rather far from Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa (as you must know by virtue of your vast, sophisticated experience); my mother, a woman well into her forties, has never been outside the States because she was too busy raising four children and putting herself through nursing school. But then again, my infinitely wise, savvy British fiance (with whom I have obviously been blessed to lead me out of my cursed American ignorance) also has a mother who has never been abroad. Hmmmmm. Does that make her a stupid, provincial, closed-minded moron too?

How many American VJers hold passports? I would imagine nearly all of them. Many have traveled abroad frequently for business, education, or in the service of their country. If you look at the poll on the old forums, a clear majority of VJers have a university education, and some have gone further--and even those who do not clearly have at least a modicum of common sense and courage to have forged relationships with persons from other countries and made it through the immigration process.

I love my Scottish fiance to pieces. I deeply enjoyed my time in the UK and look forward to going abroad more in the future. I've said in the past that one of my favorite things about VJ is the vast collection of experience and wisdom from such a diverse group of people. But I am American, am not ashamed to be such, and am not at all comfortable with my country of birth and nationality being disparaged so shallowly and casually.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail