KG2015

Pending I-130 and visiting the USA

16 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Angola
Timeline

Hi everyone, if a person has an I-130 petition pending approval will it pose a problem when visiting the USA? She will be visiting along with her family for 5 days and has a return ticket. Kindly note that she doesn't have a visa and doesn't require one as the same is not needed for residents from the Bahamas. Just wants to know if they are going to question her at the airport. Thanks for your kind replies:

I-130 sent Aug 12th 2011

NOA1: 8-14-2011

Edited by kedic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am in the same boat....So how long do "normal entry rules" apply?

I filed Oct 29th and am already at NOA2.

at anytime or all the time. Any entry into the USA on a tourist visa, the alien must be able to demonstrate lack of immigrant intent on that entry

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So that means I can just keep going back and forth like I have been for the last several years and will have no problems as long as they don't think that I am trying to stay permanently (which I am not until after I get my visa).

I kinda thought that when the processing got to a certain stage that I would have to get some sort of AP or special permission to enter.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So that means I can just keep going back and forth like I have been for the last several years and will have no problems as long as they don't think that I am trying to stay permanently (which I am not until after I get my visa).

Yeap.

I kinda thought that when the processing got to a certain stage that I would have to get some sort of AP or special permission to enter.

Your entries, though, would be more scrutinized. Last visit my wife did after NOA2 and case having been transferred to NVC, was not something out of order, but they definitely questioned her about me as petitioner and other things (ties to Canada etc). But she was granted in the long run 6-month staying in the USA. I don't think they're complete idiots, and they now exactly since you got your petition approved or transferred to NVC, you would be getting an interview. Why to cut limb on which you're sitting? Doesn't make sense to me. In your case it's a little bit harder, but still I don't see serious reasons on entry's denial. Especially if you have a good record of your previous visits to and from the USA. Good luck to you :thumbs:!

Edited by nickky

Timeline

at anytime or all the time. Any entry into the USA on a tourist visa, the alien must be able to demonstrate lack of immigrant intent on that entry

Since she is a minor, will her parent/guardian has to demonstrate lack of immigrant intent on her behalf? Thanks again

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Since she is a minor, will her parent/guardian has to demonstrate lack of immigrant intent on her behalf? Thanks again

Like someone has said, at this point it is just up to you to confidently explain and convince the officer at the border/entry post that you have no intention of staying behind...they do see your record and are aware you already have good chances of being granted legal authority to live so why spoil it now? they may just want to pull your legs and see how you defend yourself and again they may just stamp your passort and say "welcome"

Edited by ndu26

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm wondering the same thing! I have a B1/B1 visa. And I'm going to submit my I-130 form on Monday. We are planning to go to USA to see family in April. I wonder if it's allowed.

It is not a question of "allowed or not allowed" but of the border entry offcials facing you "we think you may have intention of staying behind on this visit and what do you have to say to convince us otherwise". I am not aware of any law that prohibits someone putting in an application for immigrant visa once they have a B1/B2 visa. the only thing is that it changes the dynamics becuase you have now shown intent to live so they may interogate you on that at the airport" or an oficer having a nice day may ignore you.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

Like someone has said, at this point it is just up to you to confidently explain and convince the officer at the border/entry post that you have no intention of staying behind...they do see your record and are aware you already have good chances of being granted legal authority to live so why spoil it now? they may just want to pull your legs and see how you defend yourself and again they may just stamp your passort and say "welcome" Thanks for you reply :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

She should just behave as though its any other trip to the US. She is travelling on a B1/B2 visa which has nothing to do with her pending I130. However in the rare case that the CBP Officer does bring up the pending application then she should take some type of proof e.g. job letter, aprtments lease, or bank docs.

It should be like any other shopping trip to the US.

Married July 16th

NOA1- August 19th

Touch - August 24th

NOA2 - Feb 27th - Praise the Lord!!!!!!!

3/05/12 --- NVC Received CaseFile

3/20/12 --- NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued

3/20/12 --- Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

3/22/12 --- AOS FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

3/26/12 --- AOS Fee Bill Marked Paid []

3/22/12 --- AOS CoverSheets Generated &

3/26/12 --- AOS packet sent

3/27/12 --- DS-3032 Accepted

3/28/12 --- AOS Packet Delivered @ NVC 10:30AM

3/28/12 --- IV Fee Bill Showing as 'Payable' []

3/28/12 --- IV FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

3/29/12 --- IV Fee Bill marked as PAID []

3/29/12 --- IV CoverSheets Generated &

3/30/12 --- AOS Packet Accepted

4/02/12 --- IV packet sent +

4/03/12 --- IV packet recevied

4/06/12 --- NVC reports 'Case Completed' *

4/10/12 --- Interview Date Set *

4/10/12 --- Appointment Letter Received via Email

Interview Date - MAY 3RD

Medical Scheduled - April 25th

event.png

event.png

"We've come this far by faith"

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi guys,

We just returned from the USA. The only questions that were asked at the airport was:

1. Our occupation

2. The purpose of the trip

The beneficiary was not asked any questions at all nor was the pending I-130 was brought up.

Thank you all for advising me as to what to expect :)

Edited by kedic

Timeline

She should just behave as though its any other trip to the US. She is travelling on a B1/B2 visa which has nothing to do with her pending I130. However in the rare case that the CBP Officer does bring up the pending application then she should take some type of proof e.g. job letter, aprtments lease, or bank docs.

It should be like any other shopping trip to the US.

Hi dimples, you were on point with this!! :thumbs:

Edited by kedic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I imagine it would generally come down to if you're coming from a VWP country or already have a Visitor's Visa you should be good. If you're not coming from a VWP country or don't already have a B1/B2 visa and am not being sponsored by a company then forget it. They'll ask a the interview if you know anyone in the States and as soon as you tell them your spouse is there you'd likely be instantly denied.

The exception I might think would be if you had kids in your native country who weren't going with you which would be a tie back there.

Trips:

Jan2010 - First Trip, met in person

Jul2010 - Trip two!

Nov2010 - Trip Three, Got engaged :)

Feb2011 - Trip Four. Spring Festival, Lucky Money all around :D

April2011 - Trip Five... Going to the chapel...

July2011 - Trip Six... Honeymoon in Xiamen :D

October2011 - Trip Seven... Beijing and the Great Wall :)

January2012 - Trip Eight... Chinese New Years and Spring Festival! More Lucky Money! :D

April2012 - Trip Nine... Interview?

Paper work for CR1:

28 July 2011 - 20January 2012 - Day 175... USCIS at CSC finally processed our paper work.

30January2012 - NVC 'received' the paperwork

6February2012 - NVC GUZ case number assigned - Attempted to OPTIN to EP.

7February2012 - NVC GZO (EP) case number assigned

8February2012 - 27February Massive delay caused by sending the EP OPTIN email too soon :(

28February2012 - AOS Fee Paid

29February2012 - AOS Fee shows paid, AOS Package sent in

5March2012 - IV Fee shows paid (paid on 3March), IV (DS-230) Package sent in

6March2012 - AOS Rejected due to minor error, corrected version emailed in

8March2012 - Email received indicating AOS correction and DS-230 review in process

9March2012 - Case Complete Email - END NVC PROCESS

15March2012 - Interview Scheduled: 18April2012 (Document turn-in: 17April2012)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.