hubby4life

Age difference of fiance to fiancee?

601 posts in this topic

My fiance is 24, and I'm 26. I often get teased by my friend that I'm either a cradle snatcher or a cougar. But it's all in jest. I may be older than him by two years but we get along just fine.

K1 Visa Timeline

• xx-xx-2005 - Met in an online creative writing forum for anime (Yes, we are nerds. Awesome ones, at that.) Became friends ever since and chatted mostly on YM. Our characters' names were Kumi and Drake.
  • 11-20-2011 - We became a couple.
  • 05-16-2012 to 05-25-2012 - First visit
  • 11-08-2012 - NOA1
  • 12-11-2012 to 12-18-2012 - Second visit
  • 05-08-2013 - NOA2
  • 06-13-2013 to 06-14-2013 - Two-day medical exam; passed!
  • 07-19-2013 - He visits again to be with me for the interview
  • 07-22-2013 - Interview date / APPROVED!
  • 08-01-2013 - Seattle POE
  • 08-02-2013 - Arrived in MO.
  • 09-01-2013 - Married!

AOS Timeline

• 10-01-2013- Sent AOS/EAD/AP in.
  • 10-10-2013 - NOA1 Date
  • 11-05-2013 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 12-05-2013 - EAD/AP: approved
  • 12-17-2013 - Combo card received
  • 01-10-2014 - Notice of Potential Interview Waiver case
  • 01-24-2014 - Card production
  • 01-29-2014 - Card mailed
  • 01-31-2014 - Permanent Residency Card received
  • 05-05-2014 - Job offer

ROC TImeline

• 10-26-2015- Second Anniversary of Permanent Residency
  • 11-03-2015 - Sent I-751 application
  • 11-05-2015 - NOA1 Receipt Date
  • 12-04-2015 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 05-18-2016 - Card production

We have a 2 and a half year age difference. I'm 25 and she just turned 23.

Nothing wrong with large age gaps as long as both people are happy, who's business is it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You kind of just branded the Philippines as an easy place to go where old people can get young girls. It's not a place to fulfill a fetish that's very hard to accomplish in America. It's very rare to see a couple of white Americans with a 35 year age gap, mainly because it's not the norm in America (how much disgust did America show to Anna Nicole Smith and that 80 year old guy?). So why is it that most of the white people I see in Phil (outside of Manila) are old white males picking up their young Filipina tart?

Age shouldn't make a difference in a relationship, but some people need to ask themselves a question or two:

Would you marry your daughter's best friend?

Would you marry your granddaughter's best friend?

Let the fire begin, but I'll still stick to my "keep it within 10 years" rule.

Well I now know one person who isn't coming to the wedding lol!

In no way did I brand the Philippines as anything. If you read my posting the point I made is that because I had already had a younger gf in the US by th time I visited the Philippines I was open to the possibility and it didn't bother me when I saw many older men with younger women there. Nor did it bother me when many younger women, some much younger than my fiancé, expressed interest in me.

You said that age shouldn make a difference in a relationship but then contradicted yourself. Why do I have a "young Filipina tart" but you have a fiancée?

No, I would not marry my daughters best friend for a variety if reasons. The biggest reason is that my daughter is 13! Not every older guy is a grandfather.

Edited by davenjanet

I'm younger by a couple of years.

I dislike what this question implies. But, I cannot fault the person who posted it either.

Every person has a reason for marrying who they want to marry... whether it's for companionship, sex, money, or love.

As long as it's consensual, as long as it doesn't violate human rights... Marrying someone way younger or way older is nobody's business but the couple's

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You kind of just branded the Philippines as an easy place to go where old people can get young girls. It's not a place to fulfill a fetish that's very hard to accomplish in America. It's very rare to see a couple of white Americans with a 35 year age gap, mainly because it's not the norm in America (how much disgust did America show to Anna Nicole Smith and that 80 year old guy?). So why is it that most of the white people I see in Phil (outside of Manila) are old white males picking up their young Filipina tart?

Age shouldn't make a difference in a relationship, but some people need to ask themselves a question or two:

No fire... its your rule ONLY for you... follow it to keep yourself at peace in your mind. As for others and your rule......

Opinions and butts... everyone has one. Doesn't mean someone else wants you to share it. :blush:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

For me, consenting adults should do what they please, but I'd hope that the man or woman thinks about his/her children when the new spouse is the same age or younger as them. I don't think that is healthy for a variety of reasons for the children affected by it and would most likely put strain on the family dynamic.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

In no way did I brand the Philippines as anything. If you read my posting the point I made is that because I had already had a younger gf in the US by th time I visited the Philippines I was open to the possibility and it didn't bother me when I saw many older men with younger women there. Nor did it bother me when many younger women, some much younger than my fiancé, expressed interest in me.

You said that age shouldn make a difference in a relationship but then contradicted yourself. Why do I have a "young Filipina tart" but you have a fiancée?

No, I would not marry my daughters best friend for a variety if reasons. The biggest reason is that my daughter is 13! Not every older guy is a grandfather.

There are tons of opinions out there about age gap marriages.... opinion and butts (cleaned it up for the forum), everyone has one, doesn't mean the next person wants to know about either. :lol:

No you didn't brand the Philippines... actually the other poster did in MY opiinion. :lol:

No worries.. be happy... enjoy...

And all the best!

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Actually, when I first met my future wife I had already accepted the fact I probably would not get married. I went ahead with plans for my future being single. I did not feel comfortable dating, even in this country, the USA. I didnt want to go through all that. I just wanted to focus on my own career and be happy with having just my cat. I had my own rules that I wouldnt talk with any women from the Philippines or Africa, and many other countries simply because i didnt trust the intentions of people from those places, personally.

When I was in a Christian chat room on Yahoo, my wife messaged me and said "hi", but I was slow to respond back when I saw she was from the Philippines. When she left the chat room, she simply said "bye". I didnt respond. I looked at her profile, and when I saw her face I felt a connection in heart, and added her as a friend, and 6 months later she reappeared, this time in Indonesia. It was a few months later before we started talking in earnest, and a couple months had gone by without talking at all. I had forgotten her during that time, and she had forgotten about me. Until one day, she messaged to say hi again, and things took off from there. Niether of us were "looking" for anyone at that time. We both had plenty of other stuff to focus on in life at that time. But sometimes things just happen. Niether of us knew the age of the other. Neither of us knew the financial situation of the other at that time other than the only thing I let my wife know from the beginning was that I was poor. When things got more serious, I told her again I was uncomfortable because I didnt have money for much of a life for us. She said it would be ok, that as long as we had a table to eat at, and if I took her to a movie once or twice a month and threw her a fish now and then it would be enough.

Financial security is important. She had that in the Philippines, but not with me. The reality of it all is that finances have been very difficult for us here, together... If one of us had money, life would sure be a whole lot easier. But finances and age played no part in us coming together. But today we are a family, and we are happy with a simple life,. Our son is happy and thriving in all ways. Sometimes God has plans in people's lives that are totally different from the plans we have. Life is an adventure, full of twists and turns that you dont expect. But I used to tell myself that I cant put God in a box and set self-imposed limitations on what he can or cannot do. I had forgotten that, until after I met my wife.

Edited by Brijo

Well, in that last paragraph, you completely missed my point. You're 60, so technically you could have had a daughter who would be 40 years old.

Maybe I just follow a different set of morals and standards, but I also try to look at the big picture. My wife is 4.5 years younger, which is nothing. When I retire, she'll be pretty close to retiring too. When I'm old and in a nursing home, I'm not gonna be leaving my 20-something year old wife to take care of the kids by herself. If you think that's OK, then that's your own selfish desire. Just because it's legal, doesn't make it right.

Timeline

Ooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww! :shocked:

I hope its a plexaglass house.... stones can be nasty.

Well, in that last paragraph, you completely missed my point. You're 60, so technically you could have had a daughter who would be 40 years old.

Maybe I just follow a different set of morals and standards, but I also try to look at the big picture. My wife is 4.5 years younger, which is nothing. When I retire, she'll be pretty close to retiring too. When I'm old and in a nursing home, I'm not gonna be leaving my 20-something year old wife to take care of the kids by herself. If you think that's OK, then that's your own selfish desire. Just because it's legal, doesn't make it right.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nope, YOU missed the point - completely. While at age 59 (I got a couple more days to go till 60) I could in theory have a 40 year old child, I don't. I could just as easily have a 3 year old child.

In short life does not work on an actuarial table; you can't define when someone could or should get married, have kids, get old, enter a nursing home, or die. Case in point - my mother died (and quickly) at age 40, my grandmother had a stroke and entered a nursing home at 54; both long before it was supposed to happen. So to use a well worn cliche "life is short - enjoy it while you can." Personally I intend to. If someone has a judgement with that - it's their issue not mine.

As to "just because it's legal, doesn't make it right" who decides what makes it right? While possibly some family input is justified, certainly the couple ought to ultimately decide. And never some anonymous guy on the Internet.

Edited by davenjanet

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.