Maria and Varun

I-485 Transferred 3 times already

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

We only submitted in August our I-485 petition but stil annoyed that our case keeps getting transferred

We sent it to Chicago Lock box. then he was called in for biometrics in Cleveland where we live.

Then case transferred to Missouri then transferred california in mid October. Then case transferred again nov. 8 to some other office in california, then transferred Nov. 14th to Missouri.

anyone have all these transferrings going on??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. everyone has biometrics at their local office for AOS.

2. everyones petition is processed at the Missouri office

3. People who get transferred to CSC generally do not have interviews.

It looks like since yours was sent back to Missouri that you may now be in que for an interview.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Agree with everything Inky said. Prepare for interview.

Timeline

How would I know which processing center my AOS is at? We sent the AOS to Chicago and the interview is at the San Francisco office. Got no notices stating the packet moved between locations.

You started at Missouri (hence the MSC file number), then it was transferred to your local office for interview.

Timeline

How would I know which processing center my AOS is at? We sent the AOS to Chicago and the interview is at the San Francisco office. Got no notices stating the packet moved between locations.

If your file was transferred to anywhere other than your local office for an interview you would have received a notice from USCIS to that effect. Since you didn't receive a transfer notice but did receive an interview notice, your file was not transferred out of your local office. The Chicago address is kind of like a clearing house. All of the applications start there and are quickly reviewed to make sure the obvious forms are there and signed and the cheque is correct. The packages are then forwarded to the local USCIS office for review. The local office does a quick review and if it looks like it is a straight forward case (as most K-1s are) then it may be transferred to the California Service Center which generally means they are reviewed and approved without an interview or if they are not backlogged may approve the case themselves. If the form is later sent from California to another office and especially if it is sent back to the local office, that means that the reviewer at CSC has recommended interviewing the couple. Interviews are done by the local office. You would receive a notice of this second transfer.

The Adjudicator's Handbook on the USCIS website has a fascinating chapter on why an adjudicator might decide that an application needs an interview - and not all of the reasons have to do with questions about the relationship. You can find the Adjudicator's Handbook here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a2e29c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=a2e29c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

If your file was transferred to anywhere other than your local office for an interview you would have received a notice from USCIS to that effect. Since you didn't receive a transfer notice but did receive an interview notice, your file was not transferred out of your local office. The Chicago address is kind of like a clearing house. All of the applications start there and are quickly reviewed to make sure the obvious forms are there and signed and the cheque is correct. The packages are then forwarded to the local USCIS office for review. The local office does a quick review and if it looks like it is a straight forward case (as most K-1s are) then it may be transferred to the California Service Center which generally means they are reviewed and approved without an interview or if they are not backlogged may approve the case themselves. If the form is later sent from California to another office and especially if it is sent back to the local office, that means that the reviewer at CSC has recommended interviewing the couple. Interviews are done by the local office. You would receive a notice of this second transfer.

The Adjudicator's Handbook on the USCIS website has a fascinating chapter on why an adjudicator might decide that an application needs an interview - and not all of the reasons have to do with questions about the relationship. You can find the Adjudicator's Handbook here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a2e29c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=a2e29c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

thanks so much everyone. How the heck do you all know this much???!! Well I hope this interview happens fast as we were trying to head back to India for a few months and didn't want to leave and then have to fly back after 10 days.

Timeline

Yes, unfortunately, it is very complicated to reschedule an interview date after one has been assigned. You will be sent a letter with an interview date on it. You won't have a choice about that date. USCIS takes the attitude that completing the immigration paperwork to remain in the US should be your highest priority, so they expect you to change or cancel any conflicting plans you might already have. It is very difficult, although not impossible, to change an interview date and it is only done for exceptional reasons (one that comes to mind is expecting a baby and the interview date is the delivery date) Travel plans or work concerns are not generally considered valid reasons to change an interview date.

Some who have tried to reschedule an interview date have received letters of denial for failure to attend the originally scheduled interview, so when you get the interview date you should be prepared to move heaven and earth if necessary to attend it. If it means having to fly back from your holidays, you should be prepared to do so. You may wish to wait until after you have had your interview and get your green card, however, before you travel as that might be easiest, especially if you hope to be away for several months.

You should receive a few weeks notice at the very least of the date. You will need to have someone monitoring your mail if you do leave the US so that they can advise you of the date and you can make whatever travel arrangements are necessary to attend the interview.

To answer your other question :) . . .

While it all seems very overwhelming when you are going through the immigration process yourself, by the time you get through it you have learned a lot about the process. When you belong to a forum site like Visa Journey you gain even more knowledge about what is involved by reading the experiences of others who have gone and are going through the process. Many of the senior members on Visa Journey have been involved in the site and the immigration process for years so have had a good opportunity to learn a lot about the immigration process, as much as from trying to ensure personal success as anything else.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

well you were right! we just got our interview letter. they did it right before Christmas, on the 22nd. We us luck. I'm a bit nervous that it was transferred so many times and then they are calling us in for an interview.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The Adjudicator's Handbook on the USCIS website has a fascinating chapter on why an adjudicator might decide that an application needs an interview - and not all of the reasons have to do with questions about the relationship. You can find the Adjudicator's Handbook here: http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Kathryn,

Do you mind deciphering my wife's I-485 process for me please?

Her NOA's for I-485/I-131/I-765 were dated 10/03/11.

Her Biometrics were done on 10/25/11

We got an NOA in the mail that her I-485 was transferred to CSC on 10/21/11

On 10/27/11, we got an email and online update stating her I-485 "was transferred and is now being processed at a USCIS office".

We have not heard anything since, no EAD/AP approval. The last updates on her EAD and AP were back in 10/06/11 where it said "On September 30, 2011, we received this I131/I765"

Do you think the last update meant CSC received her transferred I-485 and is processing it now, or does it mean that CSC transferred it to another USCIS office for processing? No hard copy was received for the last email/online update, so I was wondering where her I-485 is now.

Thank you :)

ROC

2014-05-17 (Sat) Card Received! Text and email: "The USPS reported that your new card was delivered on May 17, 2014"

2014-05-15 (Thurs) Received "USPS picked up mail from USCIS" text and email

2014-05-15 (Thurs) Received "card mailed" text and email

2014-05-14 (Wed) Received "card production" text and email

2014-05-12 (Mon) Received approval letter

2014-05-08 (Thurs) Date of Decision - Approved!

2013-11-29 (Fri) Early Biometrics done on Black Friday

2013-11-18 (Mon) Received Biometrics Appointment letter for 12/04/13

2013-11-09 (Sat) NOA1 Hardcopy

2013-11-08 (Fri) Check cashed

2013-11-06 (Wed) NOA1 Receipt Date

2013-11-04 (Mon) Mailed ROC Package

AOS

2012-02-11 (Sat) Green Card arrived!!

2012-02-09 (Thurs) Received Permanent Resident Welcome Letter

2012-02-07 (Tues) 12:45am I-485 Card Production (ordered production)

2012-02-06 (Mon) 6:45pm I-485 Decision (registered PR status)

2012-02-06 (Mon) 3:00pm I-485 Card Production (ordered production)

2011-12-08 (Thurs) Received EAD/AP combo card

2011-11-30 (Wed) Email/text: I-131(AP) approved. I-765(EAD) card production.

2011-10-25 (Tues) Completed biometrics

2011-10-21 (Fri) I-485 case transferred

2011-10-10 (Tues) Two NOA's: I-485 and I-765 payment receipts. Notice date 10/03/11

2011-10-08 (Sat) Biometrics Appointment letter for 10/25/11

2011-10-04 (Tues) Check cashed.

2011-10-03 (Mon) NOA's for I-485, I-131, and I-765

2011-09-30 (Fri) USCIS web status shows receipt for I-485, I-131, and I-765

2011-09-29 (Thurs) USPS delivery confirmation

2011-09-27 (Tues) Mailed AOS package

k-1

2011-07-25 (Mon) Visa in hand!!

2011-07-19 (Tue) Interview at 7:30am - Approved!!

2011-07-18 (Mon) Document in-take at 12:30pm

2011-05-19 (Thu) NOA2 (160 days from NOA1)

2010-12-15 (Wed) NOA1 hard copy received

2010-12-09 (Thu) I-129F package arrived USCIS PO Box in Dallas

2010-12-07 (Tue) Mailed I-129F package

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Kathryn,

Do you mind deciphering my wife's I-485 process for me please?

Her NOA's for I-485/I-131/I-765 were dated 10/03/11.

Her Biometrics were done on 10/25/11

We got an NOA in the mail that her I-485 was transferred to CSC on 10/21/11

On 10/27/11, we got an email and online update stating her I-485 "was transferred and is now being processed at a USCIS office".

We have not heard anything since, no EAD/AP approval. The last updates on her EAD and AP were back in 10/06/11 where it said "On September 30, 2011, we received this I131/I765"

Do you think the last update meant CSC received her transferred I-485 and is processing it now, or does it mean that CSC transferred it to another USCIS office for processing? No hard copy was received for the last email/online update, so I was wondering where her I-485 is now.

Thank you :)

Yes it meant CSC received it and processing it now.

Timeline

Meant CSC received it. If it's sent for interview it will name the office such as "transferred to the Des Moines Iowa local office" (that's my local office. It would list yours).

Timeline

Meant CSC received it. If it's sent for interview it will name the office such as "transferred to the Des Moines Iowa local office" (that's my local office. It would list yours).

although checking online my status never said transferred to teh cleveland local office. the notice only came in the mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.