lalouse

Are you currently in Administrative Processing?

AP Numbers  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently in AP?

• No.
    • No, but I'm worried that I will be.
    • No, but I just finished AP.
    • Yes, I'm in AP right now and it's taking forever!!
  2. 2. Which country is your AP in?

• Lebanon
    • Jordan
    • Egypt
    • Morocco
    • Tunisia
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Algeria
    • Iraq
    • Iran
    • Other Muslim country (Pakistan, etc..)
    • Other country
  3. 3. How long have you been in AP?

• Less than 1 month
    • 1-3 months
    • 4-6 months
    • 6-9 months
    • 9 months - 1 year
    • More than 1 year

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Wait a second, I won't comment on the claim that most of today's terrorists are Muslims -- I can understand why you believe that

please explain the claim that "most of your kin with similar names are trying to come in with all kinds of destructive intentions."

to me this means that most other Arabs and Muslims have terrorist intentions.

so what you are saying is the majority of people applying for visas to the United States in the Arab and Muslim world are coming here for terrorist acts..

it would be good to know where you got that information..

Lama

I am not claiming that most muslims are terrorists or viceversa however, quite a few common Arab names are shared by terrorists too and that is where the probem is. Now if the innocent ones could protest against the terrorists instead of calling AP racist, the problems would get solved quicker. Treat the ailment, not the symptom. BTW, I was in AP too, not because of my common name but because of my father's profession (he's retired now). I did not think it was racist. A country has a right to protect its borders and its people against any potential threats.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I am not claiming that most muslims are terrorists or viceversa however, quite a few common Arab names are shared by terrorists too and that is where the probem is. Now if the innocent ones could protest against the terrorists instead of calling AP racist, the problems would get solved quicker. Treat the ailment, not the symptom. BTW, I was in AP too, not because of my common name but because of my father's profession (he's retired now). I did not think it was racist. A country has a right to protect its borders and its people against any potential threats.

In case you forgot, I'm a US Citizen, and was one long before you were. I've lived in the United States probably for longer than you have and much longer than my fiance (who is still not here yet). I'm the first person to object to terrorism in any form, including home grown and international terrorism, because I live in New York City and it is a threat to my personal safety and this country's sovereignty. I work in the area of criminal justice in the United States for one of the largest states in the nation, have an advanced degree from the #1 university in the country, and do not say things without thinking them through.

However, as an Arab-American and a Muslim, with civil and legal rights given to me by this nation, I also have a right to protest discrimination carried out by leaders in this country. That includes discrimination at home in the United States and discriminatory practices by the United States abroad.

As I've said over, and over, Yes, AP is practiced in many countries. It is used for a variety of reasons all over the world. But it is utter discrimination for a large group of people in certain countries to suffer from it because of their individual unsubstantiated possible connections to terrorism.

I'm not saying that the United States should not protect its borders. I'm saying it should be more creative and have ways that do not discriminate against people and do not allow families and loved ones to suffer due to a lengthy, life-altering process.

You don't have to support this effort. I'm just looking for people who do, trying to find the numbers, and will try to use legitimate constitutional means to end this form of discrimination against Muslims and Arabs who are only trying to reunite with their loved ones and have a better life in the United States.

will that end all AP? No.

Will it hopefully end AP for the vast majority of Muslim/Arab men who have never done a suspicious thing in their life other than be given a Muslim/Arab name at birth? Yes.

Lama
-------------------------------------------------------

Oct 2010 - April 2012 (18 months) for K1 Visa process and AP

April 4, 2012 - Married in the USA!

Dec 2012 - Hubby gets greencard (conditional)

If you hare having problems with administrative processing, feel free to send me a message.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

In case you forgot, I'm a US Citizen, and was one long before you were. I've lived in the United States probably for longer than you have and much longer than my fiance (who is still not here yet). I'm the first person to object to terrorism in any form, including home grown and international terrorism, because I live in New York City and it is a threat to my personal safety and this country's sovereignty. I work in the area of criminal justice in the United States for one of the largest states in the nation, have an advanced degree from the #1 university in the country, and do not say things without thinking them through.

However, as an Arab-American and a Muslim, with civil and legal rights given to me by this nation, I also have a right to protest discrimination carried out by leaders in this country. That includes discrimination at home in the United States and discriminatory practices by the United States abroad.

As I've said over, and over, Yes, AP is practiced in many countries. It is used for a variety of reasons all over the world. But it is utter discrimination for a large group of people in certain countries to suffer from it because of their individual unsubstantiated possible connections to terrorism.

I'm not saying that the United States should not protect its borders. I'm saying it should be more creative and have ways that do not discriminate against people and do not allow families and loved ones to suffer due to a lengthy, life-altering process.

You don't have to support this effort. I'm just looking for people who do, trying to find the numbers, and will try to use legitimate constitutional means to end this form of discrimination against Muslims and Arabs who are only trying to reunite with their loved ones and have a better life in the United States.

will that end all AP? No.

Will it hopefully end AP for the vast majority of Muslim/Arab men who have never done a suspicious thing in their life other than be given a Muslim/Arab name at birth? Yes.

That's very well put... and I must say we did expect AP at some level we werent afraid of it but now at 5 months and counting after the interview??? with nothing but pending? no answers.. and btw if the CO wants he can keep putting my husband thru as many name checks as he wants.. why? if nothing came up why continue? I feel let down I feel frustrated and discriminated against... all bcos my husband is from the middle east... and to be quite honest its only a few rotten apples that create issues for the good ones... do name checks, do what needs to be done but once its cleared why continue to make us suffer?

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Why do people claim that Muslims and Arabs do not speak out against terrorism?

Do just a little research, and you will find that they do.

Here are just a few links:

http://www.cgnews.org/article.php?id=1308&lan=en&sp=0

http://kurzman.unc.edu/islamic-statements-against-terrorism/

http://hananiacreators.blogspot.com/2005/01/do-muslims-denounce-terrorism-yes-they.html

http://www.cair.com/AmericanMuslims/AntiTerrorism.aspx

There ia also a Facebook group called Muslims against Muslim Extremists. There are likely other groups online, but I don't spend much time surfing, so I wouldn't know about them.

My husband, who isn't famous or part of any organizations or anything, is very much opposed to terrorism - as I'm sure all of you are. His opposition to terrorism isn't broadcast to the world just as mine isn't (other than this post!).

Not only do Arabs and Muslims have to deal with the same emotions about it as the rest of us, but they also have to worry about being discriminated against because the terrorists have soiled their reputation. I'm upset with the terrorists because of what they did to Americans, and to our country. My husband is, too. But we're also upset because their actions have made the lives of so many innocent Arabs and Muslims so much more difficult and complicated. That's something that many people probably don't even think about (if I wasn't married to an Arab Muslim, I probably wouldn't be so aware of it).

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

AP is mandatory for all Middle Eastern countries, but its also mandatory for high fraud countries as well (southeast Asian countries, some African countries, and some South/Latin American countries) -- so its not just the Arabs and Arabophiles who get singled out. Yes, I agree that it is incredibly frustrating and there should be some sort of way to streamline the process.

I am sure that some people with unique names probably get through quickly because their name doesn't match up with whatever lists the DOS has on file -- even if they are from an Muslim country or a "T" threat country. Others, if they happen to have a common name, might take a bit longer. There very well could be like 30 John Smiths on the lists, and if your fiance's name happens to also be John Smith, DOS is going to have to go through and check to make sure that he's not one of those 30.

Long story short, AP sucks. It is biased (I say biased, not racist). It needs to be limited or streamlined somehow. And we need to try to be supportive of each other while we sit around and wait for it to be done.

Happy thanksgiving, all!

P.S. Anyone going through AP in Jordan? Any ideas on how long its been taking for most people?

K1 Fiance Visa Process
3/30/2011: I-129F sent
4/5/2011: NOA1 received from VSC
7/11/2011: consular services in Damascus suspended
8/3/2011: NOA2 received online via USCIS website
8/5/2011: NOA2 hard copy received
8/8/2011: transfer requests sent to Beirut, Ankara and Amman consulates
8/12/2011: NVC received case
8/21/2011: transfer request approved by Amman
8/23/2011: NVC approved case transfer, new case # assigned
8/25/2011: case mailed to consulate from NVC
9/4/2011: received by Amman consulate, Packet 3 received via email, interview scheduled
9/25/2011: INTERVIEW! Result: Request for further information
10/11/2011: Additional information sent
11/14/2011: Case placed into Mandatory Administrative Processing
3/20/2012: Embassy request for updated police certificate, civil record and medical exam
4/22/2012: Requested documents sent to Embassy
5/8/2012: VISA IN HAND!!!

Total time from petition to approval: 58 weeks
Total time in AP: 25 weeks

6/17/2012: POE @ JFK Airport
7/14/2012: Married in Rochester, NY (L)(L)

Adjustment of Status & Employment Authorization

9/24/2012: I-485 and I-765 sent, filed jointly

9/27/2012: NOA1 for I-485 and I-765 received from NBC

11/5/2012: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office

12/14/2012: I-765 Employment Authorization Received (11 weeks from petition to receipt)

7/29/2013: Welcome Letter / Green Card notification received without interview (10 months from NOA1)

Removal of Conditions

6/30/2015: I-751 sent to VSC

7/10/2015: NOA 1 for I-751

8/6/2015: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office
Thank God things moved along pretty well and I could stop keeping track of dates for a while...

N-400

2/13/2017: CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY

Timeline

Why do people claim that Muslims and Arabs do not speak out against terrorism?

Do just a little research, and you will find that they do.

Here are just a few links:

http://www.cgnews.org/article.php?id=1308&lan=en&sp=0

http://kurzman.unc.edu/islamic-statements-against-terrorism/

http://hananiacreators.blogspot.com/2005/01/do-muslims-denounce-terrorism-yes-they.html

http://www.cair.com/AmericanMuslims/AntiTerrorism.aspx

There ia also a Facebook group called Muslims against Muslim Extremists. There are likely other groups online, but I don't spend much time surfing, so I wouldn't know about them.

My husband, who isn't famous or part of any organizations or anything, is very much opposed to terrorism - as I'm sure all of you are. His opposition to terrorism isn't broadcast to the world just as mine isn't (other than this post!).

Not only do Arabs and Muslims have to deal with the same emotions about it as the rest of us, but they also have to worry about being discriminated against because the terrorists have soiled their reputation. I'm upset with the terrorists because of what they did to Americans, and to our country. My husband is, too. But we're also upset because their actions have made the lives of so many innocent Arabs and Muslims so much more difficult and complicated. That's something that many people probably don't even think about (if I wasn't married to an Arab Muslim, I probably wouldn't be so aware of it).

Good links! Also check out The Nawal Foundation -- promoting no violence in the name of Islam, no silence for domestic radicalization, and for the protection of America.

K1 Fiance Visa Process
9/4/2011: received by Amman consulate, Packet 3 received via email, interview scheduled
3/20/2012: Embassy request for updated police certificate, civil record and medical exam

12/14/2012: I-765 Employment Authorization Received (11 weeks from petition to receipt)

7/29/2013: Welcome Letter / Green Card notification received without interview (10 months from NOA1)

Removal of Conditions

Thank God things moved along pretty well and I could stop keeping track of dates for a while...

N-400

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Still in AP(Cairo),coming up on our 2 month mark. I know that I shouldnt complain comparing to the months or years that other couples may have. But I do honestly miss my hubby so much. Wish everyone good news here on this threat and that we may all start a new calender year with our loves.

Timeline

Still in AP(Cairo),coming up on our 2 month mark. I know that I shouldnt complain comparing to the months or years that other couples may have. But I do honestly miss my hubby so much. Wish everyone good news here on this threat and that we may all start a new calender year with our loves.

We're coming up on the 6 month mark. I make the calls every couple of days now, and send emails to the embassy. They are pretty much sick of me, but I just cannot stop calling or trying to get an update. I miss my fiance tremendously and can't even take a vacation to visit him because I just started a new job a couple months ago. :(

I really hope he is here before the new year!!

Lama

If you hare having problems with administrative processing, feel free to send me a message.

Timeline

Best of luck to everyone and HANG IN THERE! This too shall pass!

I am a newbie to AP, so I am hoping for an educated answer from all the veterans out there. I was under the impression that AP takes place at DOS or other agencies in DC. We received notice that our case is in AP as of 11/14, but I called DOS today and they said that our case is still at the Embassy in Amman.

Are all cases required to go to DOS? Can AP be done just at the embassy? Which parts of the AP process take place in each location and is it a "good" or "bad" sign that our case is still just sitting at the embassy after 3 weeks?

Any further information would be appreciated!! Thanks for your time and inshallah your patience will be rewarded!

K1 Fiance Visa Process

Removal of Conditions

N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Post violating TOS has been removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Welcome to the lonely road of AP! I don't mean to discourage you, but it can be lonely when one person is in one place, and their lover is in another, and they are both frustrated over the AP.

When you talk to the State Department, they will almost always say that your case is at the Embassy. I've talked to the embassy (in Lebanon) and they have said that the case is in Washington and they are waiting for clearance from there. I think it's either just difficult to know where exactly it is or no one is honest about it, or it moves around alot for verification of information purposes. There is also reason to believe that it goes to other agencies, possibly homeland security and other security agencies.

I don't think you should stress out about the exact location of it. You should just call in to DOS every couple of weeks to check on it, and/or email the embassy for updates. They won't give you much information. You can also ask your Senator or Congressman to inquire about it, but from my personal experience, where I've had both inquire, it doesn't speed the process up at all, but puts down on the file that a Congressperson is interested in the case.

That's all the advice I can give for now! Hold on there! Inshallah it won't be too long! My fiance has been in AP for 6 months and counting. We are hoping he will be here by end of year, but who knows.

Best of luck!

I am a newbie to AP, so I am hoping for an educated answer from all the veterans out there. I was under the impression that AP takes place at DOS or other agencies in DC. We received notice that our case is in AP as of 11/14, but I called DOS today and they said that our case is still at the Embassy in Amman.

Are all cases required to go to DOS? Can AP be done just at the embassy? Which parts of the AP process take place in each location and is it a "good" or "bad" sign that our case is still just sitting at the embassy after 3 weeks?

Any further information would be appreciated!! Thanks for your time and inshallah your patience will be rewarded!

Lama

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

AP isn't only done at the Washington DC level, but at the embassies as well. Usually when your AP is at the embassy, they are checking into your case. They are most likely trying to verify something. I hope your AP is as short as possible. Every now and then the embassy in Jordan doesn't respond to an email. If this happens, they tell you to email them the same email again two weeks later. Make sure that you state in the email that you emailed them two weeks ago and haven't gotten a response or you may not get a response a second time. I probably wouldn't email them more than every other week.

Best of luck to you!!

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thats the norm here waiting waiting waiting and them some more waiting. Just tiring to keep busy. Even making up some home projects to keep busy. So far painted all the rooms downstair, fixed my garbage disposal(got broken glass in it) and spray frosted the frech doors in the den. Started to baking on weekends (the coworkers are sure loving it). Sweets are something I cant keep around at home, with this anxiety Im afraid I would probably eat alot of it. :blush:

AP: so far 2mnths n 4dys

Edited by Wendy<3Ahmed

Timeline

Thanks for the details about AP! Its really helpful and its nice to know that there are other people out there who are waiting waiting waiting!

You're sooo right about trying to stay busy!! I'm working three jobs right now just to keep my mind off everything. A having a day off means that I can spend too much time thinking and (more often than not) crying. Plus its good to be saving up money since Employment Authorization can take up to 6 months....

Its funny/sad to see the Amman Visa Status Check page move up one spot every day on my Google Chrome home page. Ugh.

The embassy finally responded and said my client's (what?! I'm not a lawyer! I'm a lonely fiance!!!) information had been sent to DC for processing and there's nothing they can do other than that. Then they added some blah blah junk about how they are dedicated to trying to reunite families. I don't get how for some people AP takes a few weeks and for others it takes months upon months. EAbbas, I don't know how you do it!! Lama&Hasan you guys have been holding out for along time too! Same for the rest -- I just point those two couples out because they've been waiting such a long time.

I wouldn't mind waiting so much if they at least gave us a timeframe. Even if they said "AP will be done in 8 months" I'd say OKAY! Now I know that I have to kill time for 8 months! That would be better than reading stories about people who get their visas on the same day as the interview, or who get out of AP in 2 weeks, then you get your hopes you and think that you'll be next! Its all a mental game!

I wish the best to all of you! Inshallah your patience will pay off soon and everyone will be able to move on to the most amazing parts of their lives -- finally being WITH their soul mate!

K1 Fiance Visa Process

Removal of Conditions

N-400

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks for the details about AP! Its really helpful and its nice to know that there are other people out there who are waiting waiting waiting!

You're sooo right about trying to stay busy!! I'm working three jobs right now just to keep my mind off everything. A having a day off means that I can spend too much time thinking and (more often than not) crying. Plus its good to be saving up money since Employment Authorization can take up to 6 months....

Its funny/sad to see the Amman Visa Status Check page move up one spot every day on my Google Chrome home page. Ugh.

The embassy finally responded and said my client's (what?! I'm not a lawyer! I'm a lonely fiance!!!) information had been sent to DC for processing and there's nothing they can do other than that. Then they added some blah blah junk about how they are dedicated to trying to reunite families. I don't get how for some people AP takes a few weeks and for others it takes months upon months. EAbbas, I don't know how you do it!! Lama&Hasan you guys have been holding out for along time too! Same for the rest -- I just point those two couples out because they've been waiting such a long time.

I wouldn't mind waiting so much if they at least gave us a timeframe. Even if they said "AP will be done in 8 months" I'd say OKAY! Now I know that I have to kill time for 8 months! That would be better than reading stories about people who get their visas on the same day as the interview, or who get out of AP in 2 weeks, then you get your hopes you and think that you'll be next! Its all a mental game!

I wish the best to all of you! Inshallah your patience will pay off soon and everyone will be able to move on to the most amazing parts of their lives -- finally being WITH their soul mate!

Thanks... its definitely a difficult road... but yeah your case actually stays at the embassy but the info goes into background checks etc... the ONLY reason we know we were going into name checks is because the CO called me about 5 weeks after review a requested document and did a phone interview with me it was at that time he told us he couldn't technically say we were approved but he did tell us our case was fine with nothing to worry about and now that he was satifisfied with our case he could do the last thing which was name checks. Some DOS agents can and may tell you more and most do not.. its just luck as to who you talk to. The last two weeks we've called they have used the words review instead of pending ap so while we are hopeful this is nearing the end we can't be sure until we finally get the visa.

Wish you luck and much patience in this process...

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.