wairaer

Can't Work till EAD/Can't Drive Till AOS? -what to do??

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I was allowed to drive on my Canadian driver's license until my EAD arrived and I was able to get a Georgia license. My husband added me to his existing insurance with Allstate the week I arrived. They asked for information about my driving history and I believe a copy of my Ontario license. We had absolutely no problems. He has dealt with the same insurance agent for about 30 years so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Interesting. Massachusetts auto insurance is highly regulated and I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Thanks for your response!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I have been reading everybody's posts and it seems that nobody has addressed this topic yet -- just what does the Alien Fiance(e) do while waiting for the AOS and EAD to be approved, specificially with regard to WORKING and DRIVING. Would you please confirm that this is your situations as well? --

- He/she cannot work till the EAD is issued (which seems to be on average ~3 months from the time one submits the I-765 and I-486). So I am curious to know what has everyone's experience been, to overcome the anxiety and boredom of not being unable to work and earning income?

- He/she cannot even drive(!!) till the AOS is approved and green card issued? -- we went to the Driver's License office here in Denver, and they told us that they cannot issue anything (non-driving ID, Driver's Permit) until a K1 Fiance has adjusted his/her status). So again, what has everyone's experience been during this long process of waiting?

I am having a hard time imagining that all of the K1 Fiances on this Forum walking around carrying their Foreign Passports as the only means of identifications, and can't work, and can't drive for these long months? Or am I missing something here??

I'm being sincere here, please give me some pointers here if you will kindly please. My fiance and I have done all of our due diligence - got the K1 Visa, got married, sent out the I-765 and I-486 packages and done the Biometrics appt. Now he still can't DRIVE and can't WORK, please let me know what ideas and suggestions you have come up with or are using to overcome these next few months of WAITING....(to exhale) ;-)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks a lot!

Ellen and Reybel

whatever you do... don't be tempted to spend hours and hours in the off topic forums! :lol:

you'll find that after only a few days you'll be trying to defend your logical points against a bunch of narrow minded, racist, bigots!!

watching paint dry is more fun!!

:whistle:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi everyone. I would like to get my driver's license ASAP too! Staying home is driving me crazy! Does anyone know if you can apply for a DL with a stamp on your passport after the initial interview (suppose it's approved on that day)? I live in CA. Thank you!

-----AOS-----

Sent to Chicago : 07/10/06

NOA arrived : 07/14/06

Biometrics : 08/04/06

Interview : 10/19/06 - Approved, name check has been cleared

Another Biometrics Notice Arrived (what is this?!) : 10/23/06

Fingerprint appointment : 10/31/06 - I went there anyway and they told me it was simply their mistake to send me another one

Infopass : 11/20/06 - They couldn't find my biometric record in their system

Biometrics Appointment : 12/08/06 - Hopefully they will start my green card production!

Recived an email update - Card ordered : 12/13/06

Card received : 12/21/06 YEAY!!!

I'm curious about everyone who says they were driving on their foreign license. How were you insured? I work in insurance and any policy I've come across explicitly states that any driver who lives in my household is NOT covered by my policy and therefore can't drive my car. My insurance also will not insure you without a valid U.S. license. How did you all get around this?

I got added to my wife's policy with no problems whatsoever - we even got a handwritten note from the insurance company, congratulating us on our wedding! However, I need to get a CA license within six months or the policy won't be renewed.

Hi everyone. I would like to get my driver's license ASAP too! Staying home is driving me crazy! Does anyone know if you can apply for a DL with a stamp on your passport after the initial interview (suppose it's approved on that day)? I live in CA. Thank you!

I asked in my local DMV office and was told that I need my passport and SSN. Nobody mentioned a green card, EAD or anything like this.

Anyway, my interpretation of the rules in California is that if they won't let me apply for a DL, then I am not a resident and am free to use my old license.

Bartek

Edited by brtlmj

Timeline

I'm curious about everyone who says they were driving on their foreign license. How were you insured? I work in insurance and any policy I've come across explicitly states that any driver who lives in my household is NOT covered by my policy and therefore can't drive my car. My insurance also will not insure you without a valid U.S. license. How did you all get around this?

I got added to my wife's policy with no problems whatsoever - we even got a handwritten note from the insurance company, congratulating us on our wedding! However, I need to get a CA license within six months or the policy won't be renewed.

I asked in my local DMV office and was told that I need my passport and SSN. Nobody mentioned a green card, EAD or anything like this.

Anyway, my interpretation of the rules in California is that if they won't let me apply for a DL, then I am not a resident and am free to use my old license.

Bartek

By old license, you meant your driver's license from your county? I have my international driver's license which was issued in Japan but according the DMV web site, it's not valid...so I am stuck at home and just waiting for my interview... I wish we could just go there and get a driver's license issued :(

-----AOS-----

Fingerprint appointment : 10/31/06 - I went there anyway and they told me it was simply their mistake to send me another one

Biometrics Appointment : 12/08/06 - Hopefully they will start my green card production!

By old license, you meant your driver's license from your county?

Exactly.

I have my international driver's license which was issued in Japan but according the DMV web site, it's not valid...

Can you send me a link ?

Bartek

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

My husband is keeping busy with plenty of things:

-volunteering: we are volunteer harvesting veggies on an organic farm and learning how to preserve and harvest veggies in turn; my husband is going to start mentoring inner-city youth, etc.

-classes: my husband is going to start at least one class and he goes with me to an early childhooh education class I am in

-sports: we are playing indoor soccer and there is also a men's league he can join when not playing co-ed

-religion: he is converting to Judaism so he is spending time doing that

-gardening: he is starting an organic garden at my parents house and is doing all their backyard maintenance

-social: we check craigslist.org for interesting groups to join in the bay area and events going on.

-music: i'm getting my husband guitar lessons; he is also learning how to DJ (i've been a DJ for 8 yrs and we both love music)

There is soooo much to do if you're willing to put effort into scoping things out....book clubs may be another good idea. ENJOY THE "time off"....get to know yourself better....relax....

I-130 Sent: 4/3/2006

I-130 NOA1 Received: 4/10/2006

I-130 NOA2 Received: 7/17/06

NVC Received/Case Number Assigned: 7/25/06

AOS Fee Bill & DS-3032 Received: 8/14/06

AOS Fee Bill & DS-3032 Sent: 8/15/06 [uSING JAME'S SHORT CUTS]

NVC Revieved and Responded to our

"Choice of Agent": 8/17/06

--

I-129F Sent: 5/19/2006

Received by USCIS: 5/22/06 –CHECK CASHED on 5/25/06

*touched* 5/27/06

*touched* 6/1/06

*touched* 6/12/06

1-129F NOA2 Received: 8/3/06

Sent to the Embassy in Belize! 8/7/06?

Steven Picked up Packet 3 DIRECTLY at the embassy 8/18/06

Steven completed his background check and medical: 8/26/06

Interview supposed to be 8/28/06 but had to be rescheduled

Interview: 9/12/06: GOT THE VISA WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

FLYING TO THE USA: 9/13/06

.png

Timeline

Exactly.

I have my international driver's license which was issued in Japan but according the DMV web site, it's not valid...

Can you send me a link ?

Bartek

OK, I have to find it first...

-----AOS-----

Timeline

Exactly.

Can you send me a link ?

Bartek

OK, I have to find it first...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#2500

This is not exactly what I was looking for this may help... I will look for it later.

-----AOS-----

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was allowed to drive on my Canadian driver's license until my EAD arrived and I was able to get a Georgia license. My husband added me to his existing insurance with Allstate the week I arrived. They asked for information about my driving history and I believe a copy of my Ontario license. We had absolutely no problems. He has dealt with the same insurance agent for about 30 years so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Interesting. Massachusetts auto insurance is highly regulated and I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Thanks for your response!

I was also allowed to 1)drive around using my Canadian DL, and 2) be covered on our auto insurance, until I got my green card and got my Oklahoma DL. Guess it depends on the state and the insurance company.

To the OP: while I waited, I volunteered at my church, read a lot of books, did a lot of crafts, watched a lot of TV, worked on all the immigration paperwork, and worried about my mom, who at the time was going through chemotherapy. The key was keeping busy. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

I was also allowed to 1)drive around using my Canadian DL, and 2) be covered on our auto insurance, until I got my green card and got my Oklahoma DL. Guess it depends on the state and the insurance company.

To the OP: while I waited, I volunteered at my church, read a lot of books, did a lot of crafts, watched a lot of TV, worked on all the immigration paperwork, and worried about my mom, who at the time was going through chemotherapy. The key was keeping busy. :)

I know a lot of people know about this but in California, one of the following documents can be used to apply for a DL...I don't have any so I have to wait. - I am trying to keep myself busy too but it's just hard since I have been working very hard when I was in my country but I will do my best! And I know I am not the only one feeling this way :)

Birth date verification and legal presence requirements

The issue of identification reliability, integrity, and confidentiality is of prime concern to all citizens. Eligibility for government services, issuance of various licenses, assessment of taxes, the right to vote, etc., are all determined through evaluations based on identification documents. It is critical that identification documents be authenticated and accurate in identifying each individual. The California driver license and ID card have been declared as primary identification documents in this state by the California legislature.

State law requires every applicant for an original California identification (ID) card and driver license to show verification of birth date and proof of legal presence within the United States to help safeguard the accuracy and integrity of departmental documents.

If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth date/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

US Birth Certificate

US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad

Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree

INS American Indian Card

Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory

US Passport

US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)

Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)

Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship

Northern Mariana Card

INS US Citizen ID Card

Permanent Resident Card

Temporary Resident Identification Card

Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate

Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card

Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)

Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority

Employment Authorization Card

Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit

Refugee travel document

"Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport

Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP

Immigration judge's order granting asylum

Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction.

Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"

Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)

Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94

-----AOS-----

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Who do you work for?

That is not normal market practice.

Certainly in Colorado the market practice is that all Household members have to be declared, certainly none of the major players restrict cover to State License holders only. There is no such thing as a US license.

Back to topic, I drove on my home country license until I was able to apply for a State License, we were moving so I did the house up in preperation for it going on the market and then did the work on the new house we moved to.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Who do you work for?

That is not normal market practice.

Certainly in Colorado the market practice is that all Household members have to be declared, certainly none of the major players restrict cover to State License holders only. There is no such thing as a US license.

Back to topic, I drove on my home country license until I was able to apply for a State License, we were moving so I did the house up in preperation for it going on the market and then did the work on the new house we moved to.

They do not require a Massachusetts state license, but they require a valid license from a state in the U.S. As I said before, it could very well be a Massachusetts specific rule. Or it may just be coincidental that the company I work for as well as the company I am insured by both have this policy.

Filed: Timeline

This is a very interesting topic, as I've been here in CA for two weeks and I'm still working on last minute wedding stuff. Everything after the honeymoon is a big swirl of fog to me!

For now, I've been keeping busy with reading, wedding planning, learning how to cook more-than-edible food, spending time online, and playing with our dog and cat. I know, I know, I reeeeaally should go out more often to meet our neighbours and network, etc., but without my own vehicle (and no driver's license yet), it's hard to go anywhere since I'm not living in the city.

Anyone else living in the SF Bay area, btw? It looks as though many of you are. I'm in the Sonoma county area, specifically :-) I'm SHY but would really love to meet new people.

- He/she cannot work till the EAD is issued (which seems to be on average ~3 months from the time one submits the I-765 and I-486). So I am curious to know what has everyone's experience been, to overcome the anxiety and boredom of not being unable to work and earning income?

- He/she cannot even drive(!!) till the AOS is approved and green card issued? -- we went to the Driver's License office here in Denver, and they told us that they cannot issue anything (non-driving ID, Driver's Permit) until a K1 Fiance has adjusted his/her status). So again, what has everyone's experience been during this long process of waiting?

Hi, yah!

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean with all these processing and the waiting game.

I also took my road test this month of September and I passed. Unfortunately, the Parker DMV had me sent to the main DMV office in Lakewood. They said that they just implemented this new ID policy I guess this month. Unfortunately, it was my second time to take the road test and I got caught with the new process, so now, I have to wait again.

I have friends here in Colorado, too, mostly on K-1 visas. One in Co. Springs, and the other in Denver. What they did was, applied for the SSN right away... they only have their valid I-94s... I don't know though if the policy has already changed. The wait shouldn't be that long - 90 days is just the maximum processing timeline. Then, they also applied for I-765 (EAD).

The long wait I guess is I-485 (AOS), which takes 4-5 months or longer I guess. But theirs didn't take that long either... so, just have faith ;)

Just hang on. Try to settle and adjust with your new environment, so later on, when your paperworks get approved, you're all set and ready to go!

You can maybe, still try to learn how to drive (if you don't know how to yet), take classes (if you want another degree), you can also surf the internet for some part-time jobs. They have those survey things - you answer and they pay you back - but beware, some are scams! Start looking for job-prospects, so once you get your EAD, you're good to go!

Goodluck on the waiting game... just be patient.

Chris

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.