Richard-Y-Abigail

AOS After Two Years Of Marriage Out of Status

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Here we go again. Forgive me. It seems the more I know, the less I know.

We have not filed for our temporary, two-year conditional green cards, and we just passed our two-year wedding anniversary. If, and I do understand, IF we somehow do not need to go through the two-year conditional phase because we have been married two years at the time of application, is it advisable to include the fees necessary to remove conditions at the same time that we pay the original fees of $1,070? The fee to remove conditions are: $505 plus $85 biometric fee. In other words, do we send in $1,660. Two application in one.

What I am thinking is to just apply for the two-year conditional residency permit, and let the chips fall where they may. It seems like an awful lot of money. This has already cost us more money having waited for so long. When others have bypassed the two-year conditional green card process, and received their ten-year green card, did you include both fees for the two and ten year green cards? What forms did you use?

One other question. To receive a Consular Birth Abroad Certificate for our Mexican born son, can the three of us do it state side? Can we take our DNA tests here in the United States without returning to Mexico? We were not married at the time of his birth.

No, you do not file AOS and ROC at the same time. Ever. Erase that idea from your brain.

You should file concurrent I-130/I-485 and get your 10 year GC. It is $420 + $1070, plus a new medical. It sounds like you entered on K-1 and have been given advice to add the I-130 as well, to make sure a 10-year GC is issued and not a 2-year one. That is sound advice, and you will avoid the $590 for ROC altogether. It's $170 cheaper in the long run.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your profile says F1. How did the alien spouse enter the US?

It sounds like you need to adjust status for your spouse who is residing with you here in the US. If so, follow this guide >>> http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Assuming that your child is here in the US residing with you follow the info on this page from the USCIS website >>> http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d4c3a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d4c3a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Yep. You are right. We entered on a K-1.

You have no conditions to remove. You are applying for an adjustment of status based on your spouse's legal entry. Your spouse's overstay will be forgiven.

Until the adjustment is granted DO NOT have your spouse leave the US. A ban to reentry will be triggered if she leaves.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

I will need to change our profile. It is a mistake. I will look into the sites that you suggest. It was a long time ago, but it seems to me that the US government has steps to take when each person is all ready here in the United States. As for us all being here, we started out rough, argued alot, and are just now settling into our marriage. It has been rough on my wife not being able to work, and not having her green card.

Timeline

I will need to change our profile. It is a mistake. I will look into the sites that you suggest. It was a long time ago, but it seems to me that the US government has steps to take when each person is all ready here in the United States. As for us all being here, we started out rough, argued alot, and are just now settling into our marriage. It has been rough on my wife not being able to work, and not having her green card.

Correct. Those links will give you the info about adjusting status for your spouse and obtaining US citizenship for your child while both spouse and child are here in the US.

Timeline

I looked at the link for obtaining citizenship for our son. Perfect. I knew that there was a better way than packing up and going back to Mexico to do the DNA tests. Of course, I don't know what other companies charge, but the one near us wants about $700 to do the tests. I will read the instructions on how we submit the DNA test results along with the application. I am surprised to see that it is the same application that I will use to adopt my wife's two boys that she had before we met. They are here also, on K-2 Visas, and are doing well in school, having learned English rather quickly.

We will send in the CR-1, along with the other forms for AOS. It is cheaper, and maybe since we will need to add the other two boys to the CR-1, it will really save us much more money.

oops. I mean the I-130. Sorry.

You are not applying for a CR-1 visa. You are applying for Greencards by filing Adjustment of Status.

Edit: You seem to have a rather large family all with different immigration needs that haven't been met. Your children are actually in school illegally, but that is not their fault, being children.

By lack of attention to this process, you have confused yourself more and will end up paying more money for all of this stuff, as you now know.

It appears you have a wife: File an AOS package for her.

It appears you have 2 step-kids on K-2 visas. They will also need K-2 Adjustment of Status, though because you waited so long they may need I-130s as well, which is more $$. There is a discounted rate for children when filing in conjunction with a parent for I-485, but you should ask the specifics on that

It appears you have a third, biological child born abroad whom you have not applied for a passport for. How did the kid get to the US?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Hi. Yeah, I said, oops, the I-130. My children are not illegally here or in school illegally. There is no statute of limitations when we file for AOS. Our youngest crossed the border with his own Visa. This is another story. We are at worst, out of status. We are following the law. Forgive me, but I feel that you are jumping to conclusions. As with every case, there are variables, and I assure you that we have broken no laws.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Look like you are on the right track, USCIS is very serious on leaving before this is resolved. make sure you have an AP. for an emergency.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Hi. Yeah, I said, oops, the I-130. My children are not illegally here or in school illegally. There is no statute of limitations when we file for AOS. Our youngest crossed the border with his own Visa. This is another story. We are at worst, out of status. We are following the law. Forgive me, but I feel that you are jumping to conclusions. As with every case, there are variables, and I assure you that we have broken no laws.

The K2 period has long since expired, as has your spouse's K1. So for your wife and her kids you are adjusting status. Don't be thinking immigrant visa. Her kids get derivative status. For your child follow the steps from the USCIS site.

Lots of fees and expenses. No one can change that.

Looks like you are on the right track. It may be worthwhile to do a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney to review all the circumstances to make sure that you file all the needed forms for all family members. You've got a lot of moving parts here. A clear road map can only be helpful.

Best of luck.

Timeline

Look like you are on the right track, USCIS is very serious on leaving before this is resolved. make sure you have an AP. for an emergency.

good.gif Super serious!!

I wouldn't even try the AP after things have been filed. No matter how dire the situation outside the US. One little thing could trigger a huge hassle trying to resolve overstay/ban/etc. that could take years to overcome.

Filed: Other Timeline

Actually,

Harpa Timsah, who is not only one of the most knowledgeable members here on VJ but one of the politest as well, has noticed that you are confused like a 90-year old who had been in a coma for a decade. She tried to figure out what you failed to disclose, and your response to her is like that of somebody who asks for a handout, gets a 10-dollar-bill, and then beats the generous person up for not giving more.

It's you who is jumping to conclusions, and it's not helping anybody.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No, they cannot file for AP. They cannot leave, even if they had AP granted. Once they leave the US, the ban is triggered, and AP cannot get them back to the US. They need green cards, period.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.