KrisandJennie

So frustrating!

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

So my fiance and I got engaged in Scotland (where he lives) mid-April and filed the paperwork which USCIS received May 16th. We received the NOA1 very soon after that but are STILL stuck in the preliminary (background check) stage of the process. Our wedding is November 5th of this year and I'm terrified we aren't going to have this visa in time. I've spoken to USCIS and they said we could still get married but then we'd have to start the process all over again to file for a spouse visa and there's no guarantee he'd be able to stay. We've spent way too much time apart and I don't want to wait any longer! Anyone have any advice? Does it really only 5 months for this (in which case we'd be fine) or is it much longer?

PLEASE HELP!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

So my fiance and I got engaged in Scotland (where he lives) mid-April and filed the paperwork which USCIS received May 16th. We received the NOA1 very soon after that but are STILL stuck in the preliminary (background check) stage of the process. Our wedding is November 5th of this year and I'm terrified we aren't going to have this visa in time. I've spoken to USCIS and they said we could still get married but then we'd have to start the process all over again to file for a spouse visa and there's no guarantee he'd be able to stay. We've spent way too much time apart and I don't want to wait any longer! Anyone have any advice? Does it really only 5 months for this (in which case we'd be fine) or is it much longer?

PLEASE HELP!!

We were one week short of 5 months. That was just to get our NOA2. There are several VJ'ers that we talked to that were right at 6 months to get their NOA2.

Use the K1 Process Flow Chart link below to help you get a good idea about how long the ENTIRE process will take.

K1 Process Flow

Not trying to depress you, just trying to help manage expectations. It looks to take a couple/few months after your NOA2 to actually get your K-1 to travel on.

Hope this helps and we wish you guys the best of luck.

Jim

Filed: Timeline

I don't want to give bad news. But the average wait time is 4-5 months. This is just for the NOA 2 letter. Then you wait about another month for packet 3, if no RFE required. Then you await an interview date. UK can be faster with booking interviews, so it could be possible to make the November 5th deadline, however, I would not make any firm plans that will cost you deposits until you know firm dates. It's the downfall of the fiance visa. I myself am still waiting for my NOA 2. So I completely understand. I have a NOA 1 date of May 16th. I want my love here for the holidays, but we are at the mercy of the USCIS. Not much you can do except have a backup plan. Sorry hun...I know you wanted good news. It's all about patience and hoping for the best case scenario.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should get your soonish, unfortunately this is a slow process etc. Hang in there. Get some fresh air and exercise. Sometimes a beer works also.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You should get your soonish, unfortunately this is a slow process etc. Hang in there. Get some fresh air and exercise. Sometimes a beer works also.

:thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Does it really only 5 months for this (in which case we'd be fine) or is it much longer?

PLEASE HELP!!

I think the 5 months you're quoting is to get the petition approved. Then you've got to get through National Visa Center (NVC) and on to London where the beneficiary applies for the K1 visa. That can easily eat up 3 months more time.

Here's some current times based on VJ user timelines. Add it up, but remember those graphs trending up could be even higher when you get there. You can see the times go up and down and there's no prediction of where they will be 3 months from now.

k1vschistory.gif

noa2-nvcr-history.gif

nvctime-history.gif

nvc2consul-history.gif

london-k1doshistory.gif

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

PLEASE HELP!!

It seems like you will have to reschedule your Wedding date :( . I received my NOA1 on April 4th and I am still waiting for NOA2. That said, the overall process can take around 7-8 months if you are very lucky and 9 montsh to more than a year if you get unlucky or have multiple RFE.

I am lacking as much patience as you are, and was also planning to have a wedding around NOV. 28th but it is what it is. You have waited for long before to be with your one and only, a little more ( even if I get frustrated too with the thought of it)is all that it take, just a little more. Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

PLEASE HELP!!

USCIS received my application in May and I got my NOA2 in July and my interview was in October. We got married in November but we did not plan anything until I had my visa.

If I were you I'd check how easy it is to cancel/postpone your wedding. I'd also think about doing a 'faux' wedding, heading over for a wee holiday having the big party without actually signing anything and continuing on with your K1.

You could get married and start the process again...but check the timelines for that process first, many times it's longer than for a K1.

In the meantime your fiance could get his documents in order and make sure that he's good to go as soon as it gets transferred to the embassy. http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=United%20Kingdom&cty=London

I also hope you get your NOA2 soon.

Good luck!

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yeah unfortunately what you are waiting for now is the approval of your petition not the approval of the K-1 visa. You still have another step to go after that. We were another 4 months after NOA2. Your's will probably be faster than ours but I would think November is a long shot.

Good luck!

Edited by Operator

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

We were one week short of 5 months. That was just to get our NOA2. There are several VJ'ers that we talked to that were right at 6 months to get their NOA2.

Use the K1 Process Flow Chart link below to help you get a good idea about how long the ENTIRE process will take.

K1 Process Flow

Not trying to depress you, just trying to help manage expectations. It looks to take a couple/few months after your NOA2 to actually get your K-1 to travel on.

Hope this helps and we wish you guys the best of luck.

Jim

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

PLEASE HELP!!

The UK is already scheduling October interviews (I see there is even an Oct 31 date scheduled) so if you received your NOA2 this very second the best you could possibly do is a November interview and there is still a short wait after the interview to get the visa.. I'm sorry but November 5th is not possible.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

PLEASE HELP!!

Our timeline, to the first interview, is kinda typical. I'd cancel the wedding and reschedule once you have the visa in hand and not any earlier. This information is well established and well discussed; why you chose to ignore it is on your conscious.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

If there is any way to reschedule your wedding I would, you don't want that kind of stress on you when your trying to organise a wedding, trying to immigrate and trying to get everyone family and friends over to the US for the actual event etc. Me and my fiance are getting married by ourselves as soon as the visa process is over and we are organising our Wedding for friends and family next year which means that we avoid the stress of not knowing if you will be approved in time for the wedding. It might not work for your situation but just an idea. USICS certainly don't make it easy for us! Best of luck!

PLEASE HELP!!

Hi KrisandJennie,

I see your pain of being apart, but the November wedding could be out of the question, I am sorry. My interview took 200 days to get, then I had to plan the flights, put in my notice at work and tidy up my affairs in U.K. which added a small amount of extra time, and all without RFE's. If you get a RFE this will add more time.

I am sorry for the bad news, but just think that you will be together soon, do not rush it I beg. It will be worth the wait.

Dave :)

Edited by Dave H

I know that this process can be so frustrating. I had originally planned to get married on October 29th of this year (we filed our petition in March)...but with the way things are looking right now, I have decided to move my wedding date to December 3rd. It does take, on average, 4-5 months just to get the approval for your petition (I-129F), and that's if there are no RFE's. Then...the case is sent to NVC, where it can sit for nearly 2 weeks. Then...it is sent to the embassy in London.

Your fiance will also need to go to London for a medical exam, but this is done AFTER your petition is approved and after you get a case number from NVC. Around that time, you will also get a letter from the embassy (packet 3)...there will be more forms to complete and you will also need to gather more documentation for the interview. I am told that from the time that the embassy in London receives your completed packet 3 forms, there is an average wait time of 7 weeks before the interview date. My fiance and I are in this waiting period now. He just sent packet 3 back to the embassy yesterday, so I'm thinking he won't have an interview date until somewhere around the middle of October. He will not be able to come over to the states immediately because he will have a lot of packing to do, plus selling his car, getting rid of his flat, resigning from his job and securing a shipping container to ship his belongings over here (so if your fiance has anything like this to take care of...make sure you give him ample time to do all of it before he comes over).

So...I agree with others who have responded here....if you can possible change your wedding date, do it. Do NOT make any wedding arrangements at this time that can't be changed (such as renting a hall for your reception, or having your wedding invitations printed). The only advice I can give you at this time is....be flexible. :)

Good luck!

K-1
03-23-2011.....Sent I-129F application
04-07-2011.....NOA1 (dated 03-30-2011)received
07-15-2011.....NOA2 (No RFE's)- 107 days!! *We were #145 on Igor's list*
08-01-2011.....NVC Received
08-03-2011.....NVC Left
08-11-2011.....Consulate Received
08-15-2011.....Packet 3 Received (1 month since our NOA2)
08-29-2011.....Packet 3 Sent
09-23-2011.....Packet 3 logged at Embassy
10-07-2011.....Packet 4 Received
11-08-2011.....Interview Date - APPROVED!!!!
11-15-2011.....Visa in hand today (delivered by DX)
11-20-2011.....Arrived in the U.S.A.
12-03-2011.....Married

AOS/EAD/AP
08-06-2012.....Sent AOS Packet (EAD and AP)

08-10-2012.....Packet delivered
08-17-2012.....NOA1 with appointment for biometrics
09-04-2012.....Biometrics Appointment
10-12-2012.....EAD & AP approved
10-20-2012.....Received EAD/AP "Combo" card by mail

04-19-2012.....Received approval letter for AOS (No interview & no RFE's!!)

04-25-2012.....Received Green Card in the mail today!!!

ROC
03-24-2015.....Sent ROC Packet

03-27-2015.....Packet delivered
04-01-2015.....Check cashed by USCIS
04-04-2015.....NOA1

04-30-2015.....Biometrics Appointment

PfUgm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.