Machine

I have a job but no Visa.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Finland
Timeline

Hello.

First of all, if this is the wrong forum please advice me where to move this post. Thank you. :)

So my case starts like this: I have a family friend living in the US, he has got his visa long ago and he owns a company. He would be interested in hiring me. But now I'm in need of a visa.

I have browsed for different visas for some time now. And the seasonal working visa doesent describe my need. I cant get a student visa, as I graduated from University long ago. And I cant really describe myself as a "Foreign national with extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics".

The temporar visas look more suitable, but I've heard that people have to wait for them for years.

I would be interested to hear any advice or personal experiences regarding of obtaining an visa. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from Immigration News forum to Employment Visa forum as the OP has a job offer and is trying to determine how to get a visa. Except for exceptional circumstances, the only way to accept a job offer in the US is through an employment visa so the topic has been moved to this forum.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Well, what will you be doing for your friend? Unless you do have great qualifications and/or experience, it will be near impossible to get a visa, as you have already found out.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your Employer's Immigration Lawyer sorts out the visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Generally, a US employer who wants to hire a foreign worker must file for the work visa on behalf of the foreign worker. The US employer must file for a certification from the Dept. of Labor that no US person qualifies or can be found for the job and that is why the US employer is seeking to hire a qualified foreign person.

The US government is not going to give you a work visa just because a US employer is willing to hire you. The US government would rather keep you out so the US employer will hire a US person. To be blunt, it is stupid to let a US employer to bring in foreign workers to compete for jobs with US workers.

Timeline

You do not need the certification for certain visa's, plus it is easy to work around.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You use the specific capabilities of the the person you want to employ in your job requirements.

Filed: Country: Finland
Timeline

Thank you for all your replies.

I wonder if it would be possible to assure that the employer would be more comftorable sharing the management with a person he knows. Dont know, sounds like a little bit far fetched.

I wonder if programming and designing databases could be considered as an extraordinary ability? Again, to my ear it sounds little bit far fetched. Or perhaps I just know how from experience where to get high level programmers.

And yeah, the economy is not helping the matter. It's unfortunate.

If anyone has more to add, I'm more than happy to read them.

Timeline

It does not really matter, it is the Employer's Lawyer that deals with all this, he or she is the one to put it all together.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country:
Timeline
I wonder if programming and designing databases could be considered as an extraordinary ability? Again, to my ear it sounds little bit far fetched. Or perhaps I just know how from experience where to get high level programmers.

Working in the field for over 15 years I know a fair number of US Citizens with the same credentials who are currently looking for work. It wasn't all that long ago an Hi_b for your skillset would have been easy but the winds of change they blow strong on this industry.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Working in the field for over 15 years I know a fair number of US Citizens with the same credentials who are currently looking for work. It wasn't all that long ago an Hi_b for your skillset would have been easy but the winds of change they blow strong on this industry.

I agree with Bob, programmer or ability to design DB would not be considered extra ordinary skill.

There are tons and tons of those available in the market.

Infact CO would be asking more as to why is your friend being a small company willing to spend all this money in immigration over hiring a local person.

Timeline

Small company, dont think he has an lawyer empoyed.

Then the first thing to do would be to appoint one.

Very few Companies actually directly employ such Lawyers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.