irfan

K1 applied but met 4 yers ago and not in last 2 yers

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

All

A friend of mine's son (USC) got engaged in pakistan about over 4 years ago. Due to the cultural values and customs he has not communicate with his finace but they had a ceremony and have pictures from that time. Both were under 18 at the time like 17 and 16 years old. Now the son over 21 has applied for K1 and got an RFE to prove he has met her in last 2 years. He has not visited pakistan since he got engaged. I need to know will they approve his petition if a copy of his US paaport pages for entery and exit to pakistan are sent from 4 years ago along with affidavit from parents from both sides. All answers are appreciated. Thanks

Filed: V-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

No.. He will not be approved. The requirements are that, both the petitioner and the beneficiary must have met within 2years prior to filing the petition.

In their case however, they met more than 2years ago which violated the laws of K1, and that's why an RFE was given.

To overcome this obscurity , both of them needs to meet again and file within 2years of meeting. Its as simple as ABC.

Timeline

One more thing to clarify. Can he visit her in next few weeks and then submitt that as a proof of meeting for RFE sent, will they accept it? or does he need to apply a brand new petition?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

One more thing to clarify. Can he visit her in next few weeks and then submitt that as a proof of meeting for RFE sent, will they accept it? or does he need to apply a brand new petition?

That won't work. The meeting must occur within the two years prior to filing the petition. I would respond to the RFE with a letter withdrawing the petition, then go meet and file again.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

No, they wont accept that. The meeting had to occur before he applied for K1 visa.

K1 Process

06/13/2011 - I-129F packet sent

06/14/2011 - Packet delivered, signed by JArthur

06/16/2011 - Check cashed

06/17/2011 - Email and text NOA1

06/18/2011 - Touched

06/20/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received, dated 6/16

09/13/2011 - NOA2 approved, 88 days, text and email received

09/16/2011 - NOA2 hard copy received

10/31/2011 - Interview (Approved)

11/11/2011 - POE (Charlotte)

11/27/2011 - Wedding

AOS, EAD & AP

12/16/2011 - Packet sent

12/19/2011 - Package delivered and signed by J.C

12/22/2011 - 3 emails and text notifications

12/23/2011 - Check cashed

12/27/2011 - NOA1 hard copies received

12/30/2011 - Biometrics letter received, appt date set for Jan 23rd

01/17/2012 - Case transferred to CSC (notified by text and email)

01/20/2012 - Hard copy of transfer received

01/23/2012 - Biometrics done

02/21/2012 - EAD and AP approved

02/28/2012 - EAD and AP received on same card

03/15/2012 - Green card approved, in production

03/20/2012 - Green card in hands

Timeline

No, they wont accept that. The meeting had to occur before he applied for K1 visa.

No, the meeting had to occur before the petition was filed. Visas are applied for AFTER petitions are approved. Don't confuse petitions with visa applications.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

That won't work. The meeting must occur within the two years prior to filing the petition. I would respond to the RFE with a letter withdrawing the petition, then go meet and file again.

Can't they send a letter specifying that cultural values forbade communication between them? I as because that is what the OP is implying. Is that not the only way to overcome the requirement for meeting in the past 2 yrs? I am not sure how that works which is why I am asking instead of telling them to do that.

AOS Journey

6.25.2014 Sent off I-130 and I-485 (Day 0)

6.27.2014 Package Delivered to Chicago Lockbox (Day 02)

7.2.2014 Text Messages/Emails Received (Day 07)

7.7.2014 NOA1 Recv'd w/ June 30th Priority Date (Day 12)

7.12.2014 Recv'd Biometrics Appt Letter for 7.25.2014 (17)

7.14.2014 Early Biometrics Walk-In (Bronx ASC- gave us hard time and made us wait an hour and a half just to receive a number but we got it done) (Day 19)

7.29.2014 Status changed to "Testing and Interview" (no text or email notification) (Day 34)

8.28.2014 Received Text/Email "Card/Document Production" (Day 64 (Day 59 from Priority Date))

9.5.2014 Received Text/Email that EAD card has been mailed (Day 72 (Day 67 from PD))

9.8.2014 EAD Card received!! (Day 75 (Day 70 from PD))

9.12.2014 Applied for SSN (Day 79 (Day 74 from PD))

9.18.2014 Received SSN (Day 85 (Day 80 from PD))

10.08.2014 Received Interview Date for Nov 14th!! (Day 105 (Day 100 from PD))

11.14.2014 Interview Date!!! (Day 142 (Day 137 from PD))

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Can't they send a letter specifying that cultural values forbade communication between them? I as because that is what the OP is implying. Is that not the only way to overcome the requirement for meeting in the past 2 yrs? I am not sure how that works which is why I am asking instead of telling them to do that.

That would not work.

Timeline

No! Not only will this not work, it won't work because it isn't true. Telling such a lie is a very bad thing. A successful USA immigration process requires truth telling. All ideas of saying, writing or answering anything with something other than the truth must be vanquished from your mind. Otherwise, be ready to plan a life together outside the USA.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

All

A friend of mine's son (USC) got engaged in pakistan about over 4 years ago. Due to the cultural values and customs he has not communicate with his finace but they had a ceremony and have pictures from that time. Both were under 18 at the time like 17 and 16 years old. Now the son over 21 has applied for K1 and got an RFE to prove he has met her in last 2 years. He has not visited pakistan since he got engaged. I need to know will they approve his petition if a copy of his US paaport pages for entery and exit to pakistan are sent from 4 years ago along with affidavit from parents from both sides. All answers are appreciated. Thanks

There is something called waiver for meeting in last 2 years which is mentioned on USCIS website for K1 visa requiremnts...below is the exact text from the website,

"You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:

1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.

2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you"...

so in conclusion you will have to prove that it was against the custom and tradition...

My personal advice...get married and file for spousal visa...K1 route is dangerous specially for Muslims as consulate views them totally against the norm and scrutinize everything..and there is an added risk of Administrative processing...I am talking from my own experience...since he going there better to do NIkah and file it then..they can always do their reception back in US.

Timeline

They are now thinking about doing the Nikah (the islamic wedding) there and then file the CR-1. its just that they did not knew the 2 yrs meeting rule before they submitted the petition. Thanks for all the replies.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

No! Not only will this not work, it won't work because it isn't true. Telling such a lie is a very bad thing. A successful USA immigration process requires truth telling. All ideas of saying, writing or answering anything with something other than the truth must be vanquished from your mind. Otherwise, be ready to plan a life together outside the USA.

Your response doesn't seem appropriate. It was not a suggestion to be untruthful. The suggestion appears to be based on this comment from the OP:

A friend of mine's son (USC) got engaged in pakistan about over 4 years ago. Due to the cultural values and customs he has not communicate with his finace but they had a ceremony and have pictures from that time.

No, the meeting had to occur before the petition was filed. Visas are applied for AFTER petitions are approved. Don't confuse petitions with visa applications.

That's what i meant. I guess i didn't use the right terminology.

K1 Process

06/13/2011 - I-129F packet sent

06/14/2011 - Packet delivered, signed by JArthur

06/16/2011 - Check cashed

06/17/2011 - Email and text NOA1

06/18/2011 - Touched

06/20/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received, dated 6/16

09/13/2011 - NOA2 approved, 88 days, text and email received

09/16/2011 - NOA2 hard copy received

10/31/2011 - Interview (Approved)

11/11/2011 - POE (Charlotte)

11/27/2011 - Wedding

AOS, EAD & AP

12/16/2011 - Packet sent

12/19/2011 - Package delivered and signed by J.C

12/22/2011 - 3 emails and text notifications

12/23/2011 - Check cashed

12/27/2011 - NOA1 hard copies received

12/30/2011 - Biometrics letter received, appt date set for Jan 23rd

01/17/2012 - Case transferred to CSC (notified by text and email)

01/20/2012 - Hard copy of transfer received

01/23/2012 - Biometrics done

02/21/2012 - EAD and AP approved

02/28/2012 - EAD and AP received on same card

03/15/2012 - Green card approved, in production

03/20/2012 - Green card in hands

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.