nane1104

Racial statements about our son

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

At the foodcourt inside our BX on base. We are enjoying our Anthonys Pizza.

Kid (about 8-10 yrs old, white, chewing down his big cheeseburger) at the table next to us to our 2.5 year old son:

" If you have a black Daddy and a white Mommy, that makes you brown."

Older brother pokes him in his ribs to shut him up. Then mom shows up, older brother told her what younger brother said. All loud enough for us to hear it.

Mom looks away and avoids any eyecontact with us until we left....

To add, my husband is african-american/filippino and I am caucasian, our son, well, looks very different than most bi-racial kids as he has features of all three races and really doesn't fit the typical "mixed kid look".

People make comments about his look or more specific, his color a lot here in the States, while in Germany, they would comment about specifics, like about his big brown eyes or how he tans so quickly without getting sunburned

but it never had this racial component to it.

I am really not sure what to think about this situation as I'd like to give that kid the benefit of the doubt, but just the fact that he went through that thoughtprocess, really baffeled me...

My sister doesn't understand at all why I would be irritated by his statement!?

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

People tend to not think of stuff they'd say or think as racist, even if it is.

I know that...*sigh* Someone (family member) once "nicknamed" him "little cappuccino" and they didn't get why my husband freaked out. LOL

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Expect it to happen, ignore it, and move on. The only satisfaction that those who spew it gets is your reaction.

Most people don't understand the pain from rasicm until it happens to them.

Timeline

Expect it to happen, ignore it, and move on. The only satisfaction that those who spew it gets is your reaction.

Most people don't understand the pain from rasicm until it happens to them.

That is so true!

I have to admit I never fully understood when my husband told me about comments he got about himself being biracial. To me he was always just my bf, fiance and husband, his skin color was totally irrelevant to me.

Now I am much more sensitive about the whole racial subject but at the same time, I don't want it to become so important either.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

we are a multi-racial family my mom adopted five of us.... one full African american girl, one African american/Iranian girl,one African american Italian boy,one cajan(spelling sorry)/African american me Guatemalan (Mayan Indian)and then three of her body born children basque/american and top that all of to being Muslim

now we have had alot of idiots try to give us grief its all in how you teach your child to handle the negative comments and slurs...if you yourself are overly sensitive your children will pick up on it we were taught to let it roll of us us most the time it does i wont lie and say it never bothers us but its all in how you handle it when it does

if you confront them they get a lot of energy and joy out of it...we believe that bullys and prejudiced people only enjoy them selfs if they get a raise out of you......takes two to fight if you get my meaning that dont mean that you lay down and let people walk all over you it just means you have to find the way as a parent to teach your kids how to able to cope with out their self esteem being damaged.......takes a lot of work

sara

Edited by sara.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can expect that there will be people who will act this way all through your son's schooling, I can guarantee it. Kids can be mean and they reflect their upbringing. He won't be dark enough for some blacks or light enough for some whites.

However, how you raise him will help him to be able to deal with these issues in his life. My brother-in-law is black/german with two children, one who is white blonde hair/green eyes. His brother has a son who is black/german/Japanese and a daughter who is white as snow.

The one thing is that they can see many sides of the issue, more so than the people being racist against them.

My brother-in-law was accused of being racist against blacks when he was teaching, when he himself is black. You can't find a more compassionate person. He would take poor students from the projects, who had never even seen the ocean although it was less than a mile away, on camping trips in the mountains of Northern California. Currently, he and my sister have taken guardianship of one of his Mexican students, who is the only one of his siblings without legal status, because he was brought over when he was still a baby. Some people just can't take the higher ground, and instead choose to spew hatred at others because of their own deficiencies.

When I was in San Francisco, my children's dad and I were eating at a Mexican restaurant, and they were openly racist against us, because he is Mexican and I am white. We also had an incident in my home town where a man, burning with hatred, came after us with a bat.

I am sorry that your son will have to face this in his life, but I believe he will be the stronger for it. He will prevail in the end, because he has parents who show what it means to really love.

Wish you all the best!

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Timeline

I know he was only a child, I know they just say what they think...but that was my point- why would a kid of that age even consider the race of a little toddler? I just have never seen that and as a teacher myself, I have come across a LOT of children. The way the mom acted gave us the impression that she knew exactly where this was coming from.

Yes, maybe I am looking to much into it but remembering my sons confused look, I know that some day we will have to teach him about races and where he is coming from.

See, I grew up in "white Germany" and I guess I can say majority of germans are pretty "colorblind", so I never had to deal with this kind of issue, while my husband is totally used to this kind of scrutiny. He always warned me that we would have to deal with peoples comments about our children and I always brushed it off as "it can't be that bad" until someone referred to him as "cappuccino". I know it wasn't meant to be mean but I know that same person would never refer to a white kid as "milky", kwim?

It's hard to ignore those comments but I'll try...*sigh*

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Only those who haven't felt the sting from racism doesn't see a problem with what happen. Young children grows up to be gown adults, generally mind set doesn't change.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yep, the children learn from their parents.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

At the foodcourt inside our BX on base. We are enjoying our Anthonys Pizza.

Kid (about 8-10 yrs old, white, chewing down his big cheeseburger) at the table next to us to our 2.5 year old son:

" If you have a black Daddy and a white Mommy, that makes you brown."

Older brother pokes him in his ribs to shut him up. Then mom shows up, older brother told her what younger brother said. All loud enough for us to hear it.

Mom looks away and avoids any eyecontact with us until we left....

To add, my husband is african-american/filippino and I am caucasian, our son, well, looks very different than most bi-racial kids as he has features of all three races and really doesn't fit the typical "mixed kid look".

People make comments about his look or more specific, his color a lot here in the States, while in Germany, they would comment about specifics, like about his big brown eyes or how he tans so quickly without getting sunburned

but it never had this racial component to it.

I am really not sure what to think about this situation as I'd like to give that kid the benefit of the doubt, but just the fact that he went through that thoughtprocess, really baffeled me...

My sister doesn't understand at all why I would be irritated by his statement!?

Some people are @ssholes. You're gonna have some of that. You do not have to be a different color, just having a funny accent is all it takes for some Einsteins. Once you get over caring what anyone else thinks and just care about your family none of that matters anyway.

Besides, it would make him gray, not brown. :P

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I rarely chime in on any personal matters, but would like to briefly add some thoughts. Yes, a prejudice point of view still survives in America. However, it not only comes from both sides, it spreads itself throughout a number of factions. I too received my share of prejudice remarks when I was a child. Although, my father was born in America, he did not speak English until he went to the public schools. In those days you learned to speak English as your primary language. Amazing though, I never declared myself a partial American to compensate for ill biased thoughts or remarks. Teaching children that someone is African-American or Caucasian is plainly wrong. If you are a legal citizen of the United States of America you’re an American. By the way where is the country of Caucasian located? A true American should respect different cultures. Yet, we also need to tell those stories, and relate the history of slavery to all children in America, along with other hardships that we have encountered. Many Americans paid the price of freedom in this country. And, all should be proud to be Americans and not a sub group of this great gift given by others in the past. Outside of these thoughts, I believe kids will be kids. Teach your children to set an example and the others will learn. However, never should we separate ourselves through different labels.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know he was only a child, I know they just say what they think...but that was my point- why would a kid of that age even consider the race of a little toddler? I just have never seen that and as a teacher myself, I have come across a LOT of children. The way the mom acted gave us the impression that she knew exactly where this was coming from.

Yes, maybe I am looking to much into it but remembering my sons confused look, I know that some day we will have to teach him about races and where he is coming from.

See, I grew up in "white Germany" and I guess I can say majority of germans are pretty "colorblind", so I never had to deal with this kind of issue, while my husband is totally used to this kind of scrutiny. He always warned me that we would have to deal with peoples comments about our children and I always brushed it off as "it can't be that bad" until someone referred to him as "cappuccino". I know it wasn't meant to be mean but I know that same person would never refer to a white kid as "milky", kwim?

It's hard to ignore those comments but I'll try...*sigh*

I had a heart attack and quad bypass surgery and it is a rather traumatic thing, you are told you are going to be "out" for about 36 hours and of course you hope to actually wake up on the other side.

When I did there were 5 people in the room with me, 4 sons and my wife, three of them have foreign accents. My wife had never left the room and one of the boys had come all the way from Moscow, interrupting his studies. I haven't had a bad day since then. Some people matter. Just decide which ones and you will be a lot happier.

Your husband and son will always be there for you, they are your family and if you do not care what color their skin is why does it matter what anyone else thinks?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.