monyfer

For those from NON-English speaking countries...

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I see a lot of responses on this board from Canadians and Brits, but I imagine it was much easier for them to find work, given English is their first language.

My fiance is from Mexico and speaks English, although obviously he is a non-native speaker so sometimes he can't think of the right word or makes grammatical mistakes, more evident in his writing than speaking. He is well educated and has good job experience in his home country, but is worried that he won't be able to find a good job here because English isn't his first language and may not be "up to par" for writing business reports etc. We are hoping he can find a professional job on a similar level to what he does in his home country (sales analyst/manager). He would love to work in sales but is afraid since speaking is a huge part of the job and not sure how kindly clients would react to someone who doesn't speak the language perfectly.

Any stories from those who didn't speak English like a native and got a good job would be very motivating to hear!

ETA: Filipinos can respond although it seems most of them on here have amazing English and write it very well so I don't know if it is the same, is English the language school is taught in there?

Edited by monyfer

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Armenia
Timeline

HI

From my experience sales is actually a field that prefers bilingual employees especially Spanish speaking. Sometimes it depends on where you live. If there is a high concentration of Spanish speaking population there will be a high demand for Spanish speaking sales reps/managers. Look into the wireless retail industry ( cell phones) they constantly look for bilingual store managers with sales experience.

Most programs used in the business world come with spell check.Composition is not the forte of any person with a Business degree.

Your fiance will be fine.Begginings are rocky for everyone but it all works out in the end.

Good luck

Edited by cipollina

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Bi-lingual is a plus. His English will improve with use and hearing it spoken. With a crappy economy it may be a challenge. If he's a sales pro then he knows that effort = results.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I see a lot of responses on this board from Canadians and Brits, but I imagine it was much easier for them to find work, given English is their first language.

My fiance is from Mexico and speaks English, although obviously he is a non-native speaker so sometimes he can't think of the right word or makes grammatical mistakes, more evident in his writing than speaking. He is well educated and has good job experience in his home country, but is worried that he won't be able to find a good job here because English isn't his first language and may not be "up to par" for writing business reports etc. We are hoping he can find a professional job on a similar level to what he does in his home country (sales analyst/manager). He would love to work in sales but is afraid since speaking is a huge part of the job and not sure how kindly clients would react to someone who doesn't speak the language perfectly.

Any stories from those who didn't speak English like a native and got a good job would be very motivating to hear!

ETA: Filipinos can respond although it seems most of them on here have amazing English and write it very well so I don't know if it is the same, is English the language school is taught in there?

I guess I am not the best to answer this question since I went to University in the US; however, I went thru the same rough patch of insecurity when I first started school. I only started learning English in high school.

You will notice with time that his English will improve dramatically with everyday use. I suggest he get a hold of a SAT dictionary and start looking over and studying some words(tremendous help for me) while he is still in Mexico. With his vocabulary expanding and his comprehension ability improving he will feel more confident. For me it was mostly shyness that I would sound awkward. I suspect that is the case with him too, since you said he knows English. Shyness will go away within the first month.

As far as the job is concerned - write a good resume and emphasize the fact that he is bilingual. Not a guarantee he will get a job (crappy economy) but will help.

Edited by gigi_a

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

here in the Philippines, English is the language used in the majority of our subjects...infact we only have 2 subjects in elementary as well as in high school that doesn't use English language and 1 subject in college..so, if one do good on their studies it is evident on their English speaking and writing skills..and most of the Filipino people who works in america are those who are good on their chosen career and of course do well on their studies..

Edited by Chuck & Chay

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In fiance's job (somewhat related to Sales) they always look for Spanish Speaking employees! I suggest he look for one that would require him to speak Spanish at first then when he is well adjusted with the language, it's time to look for an English speaking job he's more comfortable doing.

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for the feedback! :)

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

I agree that speaking Spanish is an asset. In the oil industry, they are constantly looking for people who can speak Spanish. My office is filled with with Eastern Europeans, Chinese, Norwegians, Mexicans, Venezuelans, and Brazilians who barely speak English, and yet earn 6-figure incomes. I look hispanic but I do not speak a word of Spanish, and I get asked almost every week if I can go out to the field or the machine shop because they really need someone who can speak spanish there :wacko: So really your husband has nothing to worry about.

If your husband wants to work on his English, you can look into your local community college for ESL classes. If his English is a little more advanced, he can take classes like technical writing to help him practice writing essays, proposals, reports, etc. Most community colleges also have writing centers that will help students improve their writing and also proof-read their papers.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

HI

From my experience sales is actually a field that prefers bilingual employees especially Spanish speaking. Sometimes it depends on where you live. If there is a high concentration of Spanish speaking population there will be a high demand for Spanish speaking sales reps/managers. Look into the wireless retail industry ( cell phones) they constantly look for bilingual store managers with sales experience.

Most programs used in the business world come with spell check.Composition is not the forte of any person with a Business degree.

Your fiance will be fine.Begginings are rocky for everyone but it all works out in the end.

Good luck

I agree. Spanish is the second language in our country which is an added bonus for him. Sometimes people get nervous when they are speaking their non-native language. Just tell him to be positive and the more that both of you speak and write to each other, the better his English will become.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband was very nervous applying for jobs due to Portuguese being his main language. When we would search for jobs for him we found one in our area that was looking for specific Portuguese English bilingual people. So I guess he probably lucked out on that one. Not sure how many Portuguese speaking people live in our city or surrounding area, but he interviewed for the position on a Friday and was told he had the job on Monday. It's with a very good company, making good money and he gets to speak his native language on a daily basis with other Brazilians that he works with, which I think helps him a lot. I think being bilingual, even if the person's English isn't perfect is a great asset to have. It gives that person more opportunities than a normal American that only speaks English probably wouldn't have.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If your husband wants to work on his English, you can look into your local community college for ESL classes. If his English is a little more advanced, he can take classes like technical writing to help him practice writing essays, proposals, reports, etc. Most community colleges also have writing centers that will help students improve their writing and also proof-read their papers.

Love this post, great ideas. Many community colleges have ESL classes designed for advanced English speakers to help them with their writing, speaking and listening skills so they can apply them in academic and work situations. These classes help them to at least get the confidence they need to think that they can write reports and communicate with customers and co-workers with ease.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.