lovepath

Las Vegas marriage...Stigma?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

So we are planning to get married in Las Vegas...which is almost 2000 miles away from our home State.

Is this a good idea? Is there a "stigma" attached to marrying in Las Vegas?

We live in NY. Will we encounter issues when applying for AOS because we did not marry in our home state and married in Vegas?

We could marry here in our home state, but we figured that marrying in Vegas whould me more fun!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can get married in Vegas; there will be no issue whatsoever for doing so.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

With all of your other ducks in a row, it won't matter one bit. Your AOS CO may not personally like "Vegas Marriages," but they'll be objective enough to filter that bit out.

Just don't include the photos of you dressed up as Elvis for the ceremony!

Hell, we married ourselves at the country courthouse, with no priest or Justice of the Peace. Not only was it boring, but it really wasn't much more "official"...

I say go have fun.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Me and my wife got married in Vegas and we applied for AOS and got the greencard in just under 3 months with nointerview day!actually it was closer to 2 months

K1 Timeline
07/01/10- K1 Mailed
07/16/10- NOA1 Hardcopy
12/15/10- NOA2 Hardcopy Received
02/16/11- Interview at 10am London Embassy
02/24/11- Visa in Hand
02/27/11- POE - Minneapolis

AOS Timeline
04/22/11- AOS, EAD, AP sent today
04/28/11- AOS, EAD, AP Notice Date
05/04/11- Hard copy of NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
05/12/11- Early Biometric walk in(Scheduled for 05/31/2011)
05/12/11- I-485 Case Transferred to CSC
06/13/11- AOS approved, card production ordered
06/20/11- Green Card Recieved

ROC Timeline

04/25/13- ROC package sent

04/26/13- ROC pack delivered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Theres no Stigma attached to Vegas!! Heck we planning on getting Married there also. Like the previous poster said...Just dont dress up in Elvis costume :whistle:its only a 4 hour drive from me. Good Luck and have FUN in the City that NEVER SLEEPS!!!:yes::thumbs:

Edited by southcalhog

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks guys/gals!!! However, I do not know if I can resist dressing like Elvis....that is just asking toooo much! :angry::lol:

Thanks again!

:rofl:::rofl:::rofl:

Edited by southcalhog

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Plenty of people get married in Vegas. I don't think they'll see it as odd. Just don't book your Vegas trip until you have visa in hand. ;)

Squeaky, you have not heard? I thought you are the "mother" of the MENA forum! :wow:

They say M&M candy "melt in your months and not in your hand"...but when we got it "in hand" we were the ones that literaly melted. :thumbs:

Squeaky, thank you(truely)for providing the MENA forum with valuble information. Best wishes to you.

Edited by lovepath

Timeline

So we are planning to get married in Las Vegas...which is almost 2000 miles away from our home State.

We live in NY. Will we encounter issues when applying for AOS because we did not marry in our home state and married in Vegas?

We could marry here in our home state, but we figured that marrying in Vegas whould me more fun!

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Live in Arizona got married in Las Vegas no issues. You can pre-apply for marriage license on line so when you get to the office you are ready to go. Used a place called 702 Vegas weddings, keep it simple. With the right package they will internet your wedding. Have a great time.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

My wife and I did it. You can ask the minister/JoP/Elvis/etc. for a copy of the document that they will send back to the courthouse as an "advanced" copy of your wedding license, but technically you should wait until the county clerk sends you the official copy with the seal on it. (We received it in the mail about a week after our marriage.)

There's no stigma that I'm aware of. A marriage in Vegas is legal anywhere in the country. I'm disappointed because I couldn't sell the wife on Elvis, but that's my problem.

I agree with filling out the pre-application online...it makes things so much easier. See http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/clerk/Pages/PreApp.aspx.

One caveat...Nevada does not test for syphilis before marriage, as other states do. Remember that a syphilis test will be required as a part of the I-693 medical.

Care,

Bill

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; we are also thinking about doing this "court wedding" in Vegas this August until our Official wedding in South-East Texas next year.

It's good to know that most people here tell that it'll be fine to get married in the City that never sleeps :dance:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Squeaky, you have not heard? I thought you are the "mother" of the MENA forum! :wow:

They say M&M candy "melt in your months and not in your hand"...but when we got it "in hand" we were the ones that literaly melted. :thumbs:

Squeaky, thank you(truely)for providing the MENA forum with valuble information. Best wishes to you.

LOL congrats. Sorry, sometimes I get distracted from mothering MENA when I'm actually mothering my KID :lol:

Thanks ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.