BrentB

Wife in America, now...

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Doesn't the K1 visa holders needs to report their marriage to the consulte here in the US after marrying, ie. Philippine Consulate? For it to be recognized? I'm not a K1, so what I wrote was just based on what I read here on VJ!

Yes and no. it's not an immigration requirement but many Filipinos want their marriage recognised in their home country. The Philippines has a big listing or something of the married people (not sure why) and that's why at that consulate CENOMAR's or CEMAR's are required to get their visa.

For my home country, Australia, there is no requirement to "register" the marriage, and in fact there is no real way to do that. I can change my name but I just show the marriage certificate, it doesn't list me as "married" anywhere. However, changing my passport thanks to a foreign marriage required a legal name change and i had to present my marriage cert to explain why I wanted the change.

i thought the same... but one of her cousins told her that they knew someone who got deported back because they didnt "legitimize" their marriage.

This is a bad case of heresay. I knew someone who knew someone whos sisters brothers friend... no. Someone got the information wrong.

I believe a previous poster who explained ROC is probably on the right track. There IS a requirement to ROC after 2 years of being an LPR (if on a 2 year card). Failure to do that means your status is revoked and you can be deported. This is probably what actually happened. Could also be they never filed for adjustment of status. Could be several different reasons.

There is NO requirement to "legitimise" your marriage. USCIS wouldn't have let her in if they didn't think your marriage was valid. You're married. Nothing else required on that front.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

OK--I confused myself with the EAD/GC processing--sorry !! I was trying to say exactly what you just said V/T !! Should just have stuck with the registration requirement in the US--there ain't any...

We need to have our marriage recognized in France for purposes of my fiancee staying in good stead with her home country. Though not necessary for US immigration (she is coming here on a K-1), my fiancee asked me to have our marriage recorded in France. We have sent papers to the French consulate in Chicago and the banns have been published. After the marriage is completed here, we will send the certificate to the consulate and receive the "livret de famille". So perhaps this is what the question is about.

1/28/11 Sent package to Texas
2/03/11 NOA1 received and file is at the Vermont Center.Case number assigned.
6/10/11 NOA2 received.Approved!!!
6/13/11 Hard copy of NOA2 received.
6/28/11 NVC case number received. Case sent to Paris.
7/18/2011 Packet 3 sent out
7/20/11 Packet 3 returned by certified mail
8/31/11 Interview (Approved with two pieces of paper needed)
9/29/11 Visa received.
10/03/11 POE Cincinnati (Thanks to Delta now Atlanta) 5 hours to pick her up is worth it.
10/15/11 Married
10/21/11 AOS documents filed
11/25/11 Biometrics appointment
11/18/11 transferred to CSC
12/24/11 EAD and Advance Parole combo card arrived.
03/13/12 Green card notice received. Welcome to the US. Take a deep breath for a few moments.
03/14/12 Green card received

07/14/2014 Packet for Removing conditions sent

02/10/14 Biometrics in Louisville KY

Also, in the Philippines many tend to register their marriage. It's not an immigration requirement but I think that's what the previous post was referring to. It's not mandatory, but many do it.

Yes. :yes: That's what I was referring to.

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

All of that said, I have a question. Our interview is 08/08 so hopefully my wife will be here soon on a CR1/IR1.

What would happen if we got "re-married" here? I'm sure my Reverend would do it, and for sure it would be legal and we would have a new marriage certificate from my State, albeit with a new date of marriage. Hypothetically, how would it affect our future I-751?

I'm not suggesting I'm going to do it, as stated earlier there is no need to do it. I'm just curious.

Thoughts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It all depends on your state--most do not have a "remarriage" law on the books, so they will deny you a license. Some states like NJ where I live do provide for a remarriage, so check out your states website, and if it is possible, why not?? I think it would be great.

Here is what the NJ law says:

Remarriage:

For individuals who are currently in a marriage in New Jersey or are in an opposite sex marriage in another state or country there exists the option to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a Remarriage.

In order to apply for a Remarriage the couple must provide proof of their existing opposite sex marriage, meet the requirements for entering into a marriage in New Jersey and follow the guidelines above to completing the license application.

The process for a Remarriage License are the same as for the Marriage License, except that the Remarriage License must be accompanied by the proof of existing marriage and once the application is filed there is no 72 hour waiting period before the license is issued.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
All of that said, I have a question. Our interview is 08/08 so hopefully my wife will be here soon on a CR1/IR1.

What would happen if we got "re-married" here? I'm sure my Reverend would do it, and for sure it would be legal and we would have a new marriage certificate from my State, albeit with a new date of marriage. Hypothetically, how would it affect our future I-751?

I'm not suggesting I'm going to do it, as stated earlier there is no need to do it. I'm just curious.

Thoughts?

If you wanted to get remarried in the church, fine, however you could not legally marry again. Until you divorce from the "first" marriage the second would be void. You would have to declare you're already married and they would deny you a licence. If you don't declare it you've committed fraud.

Basically it can open a huge can of worms when it's totally not worth the hassle. Have a "re-commitment" ceremony, have a church ceremony with no legality.. but don't risk doing it legally because it would be illegal (unless it's specifically a "remarriage" as Magical was discussing)

If you wanted to get remarried in the church, fine, however you could not legally marry again. Until you divorce from the "first" marriage the second would be void. You would have to declare you're already married and they would deny you a licence. If you don't declare it you've committed fraud.

Basically it can open a huge can of worms when it's totally not worth the hassle. Have a "re-commitment" ceremony, have a church ceremony with no legality.. but don't risk doing it legally because it would be illegal (unless it's specifically a "remarriage" as Magical was discussing)

You nailed it! We had the same plan after my arrival here in the US and, we were declined right there at the marriage license office soon as they found out that we were already legally married.

So, we ended up renewing our vows, instead. :)

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.