Scott y Kemerlita

No decision 1 yr+ after filing I-751 -- how to avoid out of status?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

We filed I-751 last May and received with the NOA letter a notice that status has been extended for one year. We complied with an RFE request in November and traveled to a USCIS field office for an interview in March, but still no decision on the case. We are worried about falling out of status while we wait for USCIS to make a decision. Customer service won't give us any useful information, other than that our case file was last touched on May 5, 2011.

Is there a form we should be filing to ask for a further extension while USCIS processes this? Or a better contact than USCIS customer service? Clearly our case has far exceeded normal processing times for some reason.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Make an infopass appointment. They can put an I-551 stamp in your passport.

AOS:

03-20-2009: Married in San Diego (wife: F-1 visa and Chinese citizen, husband: US citizen)

03-29-2009: USCIS received AOS packet

04-03-2009: NOA1 issued

04-23-2009: Biometrics appointment

05-20-2009: EAD received

06-08-2009: Interview, approved

07-06-2009: GC received

ROC:

03-09-2011: I-751 and supporting documentation mailed to CSC via first class mail

03-14-2011: I-751 delivered (5 days to go 55 miles!)

03-16-2011: Check cleared

03-18-2011: NOA received, one year GC extension

04-04-2011: Early biometrics in San Marcos, CA

05-12-2011: Card production ordered! (no email notification, though)

05-17-2011: Approval letter received (approval date 5/12)

As Bob said, file for naturalization. This forces them to adjudicate I-751 at the same day they adjudicate N400.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Apply for naturalization if you are in the time frame to do so! Just continue your journey and get citizenship and be done with them.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

As Bob said, file for naturalization. This forces them to adjudicate I-751 at the same day they adjudicate N400.

:thumbs: +1. By the time you get them to finish the ROC you could be a citizen if you fill the N400. You are just following the rules. It is them that are falling behind.

Dave

Filed: Timeline

Is there a form we should be filing to ask for a further extension while USCIS processes this? Or a better contact than USCIS customer service? Clearly our case has far exceeded normal processing times for some reason.

Since your file had been pulled for an RFE and followed by an interview, its very likely that its under processing with the local office. There is no form you need to fill at this stage, get an INFOPASS appointment for the ADIT stamp and your good. If you desire, you can apply for citizenship, which will remove your stuck 751 for final adjudication.

Edited by 3600rs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I would suggest, make an infopass and get your passport stamped. Unless an adverse decision is reached(which is rare), you have nothing to worry about from now on. Although, some of the senior members have advised to apply for naturalization while the ROC

is still pending, I am still doubtful, if you could do that while a hearing on your previous case is pending. I wish I am wrong,

cause this was one question that was bothering me as well. I hope somebody would shed more light on this topic by quoting USCIS

rules.

Good Luck!

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tanzania
Timeline

Based on your timeline, you were approved for a green card around July 2008. You are within guidelines to file for naturalization. You have been married for 3 years and have had your green card for three years. As long as you qualify the residence requirements, save yourself some stress and file for citizenship.

Jan 1999- F1 to USA

June 2006- AOS thru D.O.R.A.

Dec 2009- Oath. Finally a U.S Citizen

I am proud to be Tanzamerican!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

My wife received an InfoPass appointment -- we'll see what USCIS says there. Yes, the file was sent to a USCIS field office (Bloomington, MN) for adjudication, where I assume it still is. Thanks for all the info.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.