PAGE 11

Who owns what in a US marriage?

22 posts in this topic

Can anyone provide a good source of information regarding marriage/ property / inheritance law in the US?

Specifically, separate, communal and conjugal property as it affects both parties, and in particular where one party is in immigration process?

Thanks

Dec 05, 2011: Received U.S. permanent resident status (AOS based on K-1 visa)

Dec 16, 2013: Removal of conditions on green card

Apr 28, 2015: Became a U.S. Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Can anyone provide a good source of information regarding marriage/ property / inheritance law in the US?

Specifically, separate, communal and conjugal property as it affects both parties, and in particular where one party is in immigration process?

Thanks

No expert here but it depends on what state your Living in and where you got married.

need more info???

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

What state are you in?

Is it a communial property state? You can look that up online. if so, when you marry, half is his along with half the bills.

Write to me directly if you need to know more.

Or make appointment with lawyer near you. If you have concerns, it is well worth an attorney fee.

jeanne

No expert here but it depends on what state your Living in and where you got married.

need more info???

We will be married in and will live in California. I will be the foreign spouse arriving on K-1 and will go through immigration process. We both have assets going into marriage, mine are in my home country, his in the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We will be married in and will live in California. I will be the foreign spouse arriving on K-1 and will go through immigration process. We both have assets going into marriage, mine are in my home country, his in the US.

You would want to consult a California based family law attorney to ask about how your foreign assets would be treated.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't think the USC has a Right to Any Property in the Philipphines in the result of a disolved Marridge. The Assets accumulated during your Marridge in the US are Split According to your State Laws.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Timeline

I don't think the USC has a Right to Any Property in the Philipphines in the result of a disolved Marridge. The Assets accumulated during your Marridge in the US are Split According to your State Laws.

The way I understand this I believe is Correct. The Philipphine Goverment does NOT want Americans buying their Country for Pesos on the Dollar. A married Pinay and the USC can purchase property but will be Titled 49% USC/51% Pinay. In the Result of termination of the Marridge 100% of the Title (Deed) goes back to the Pinay.

Any USC that has purchased say a house/lot in the Philipphines can answer this better.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

What state are you in?

Is it a communial property state? You can look that up online. if so, when you marry, half is his along with half the bills.

Write to me directly if you need to know more.

Or make appointment with lawyer near you. If you have concerns, it is well worth an attorney fee.

jeanne

Thanks, I looked it up. CA is indeed a community property state.

The way I understand this I believe is Correct. The Philipphine Goverment does NOT want Americans buying their Country for Pesos on the Dollar. A married Pinay and the USC can purchase property but will be Titled 49% USC/51% Pinay. In the Result of termination of the Marridge 100% of the Title (Deed) goes back to the Pinay.

Any USC that has purchased say a house/lot in the Philipphines can answer this better.

Thanks, Tim. Yes, this was how I understood it. We are far from making any major purchases either here in RP or there, but have been discussing options for the future. We both also have one child each from previous relationships. It makes sense to clear up property issues at this point, unromantic as it may seem.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, everyone!

There are only ten (10) states that are on known to be "community property states" - Alaska (opt-in),Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington State and Wisconsin.

Under a community property system, all property acquired by either spouse during marriage, with a few exceptions (such as property acquired by gift, inheritance, or devise, or the rents and profits of separate property) is treated as "community property" meaning that each spouse owns an undivided 1/2 interest in it. At divorce, all community property is split 50/50 between the spouses. If the property can't be divided in half (basically any property besides money, including houses, cars, and other tangible property), it will be sold, and the spouses will split the proceeds.

In the Philippines,aliens, as a general rule, are not allowed to own real property in the Philippines. By “general rule”, though there are certain exceptions, as the 2 below:

The prohibition on foreigners owning Philippine lands is embodied in no less than the Philippine Constitution. This, in fact, is one of the usual reason cited by those who want to revise or amend the Constitution. The Constitution provides:

“Save in cases of hereditary succession, no private lands shall be transferred or conveyed except to individuals, corporations, or associations qualified to acquire or hold lands of the public domain.” (Article XII, Section 7)

It’s clear from this provision that private land may be transferred only to persons or entitles who/which has the capacity “to acquire or hold lands of the public domain.” Those who are qualified to acquire or hold lands of the public domain are as follows:

1. Filipino citizens.

2. Corporations at least 60% of the capital of which is owned by Filipinos.

In other words, the Constitution explicitly prohibits non-Filipinos from acquiring or holding title to private lands. Among the exceptions are as follows: (1) transfer to an alien by way of legal succession; or (2) if the acquisition was made by a former natural-born citizen. The 1987 Constitution provides that:

“Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 7 of this Article, a natural-born citizen of the Philippines who has lost his Philippine citizenship may be a transferee of private lands, subject to limitations provided by law.” (Art. XII, Sec. 8)

The Supreme Court reiterated this general rule in a recent case (Borromeo vs. Descallar, G.R. No. 159310, 24 February 2009). The Court also reiterated the consistent ruling that if land is invalidly transferred to an alien who subsequently becomes a Filipino citizen or transfers it to a Filipino, the flaw in the original transaction is considered cured and the title of the transferee is rendered valid.

There are other exceptions to the prohibition on aliens owning real property in the Philippines, like full ownership by foreigners of condominium units.

To summarize: The USC couldn't touch the VJer's property in the Philippines especially that she acquired them before marriage. Suggest you google on real property owndership in the Philippines. I read somewhere before that even if a Filipino, after marriage to a foreigner, acquire properties /businesses in the Philippines, the USC will have difficulty getting his share (if at all) from the Filipino spouse, after divorce. Any foreigner who wants to acquire a property in the Philippines need a Filipino citizen to "partner" with them. Thy can't purchase land and businesses there on their own. They can get condos and apartments under their names but not land. So figure how he can get his condo from the "landowner" who is his/her spouse, the Filipino citizen, in case they divorce? Sounds ridiculous huh?!

Hope this helps.

prep.mac

Timeline

Good Post Prep Mac. I knew some about it due to the fact Mav's Aunt here in the States is going through this and she owns Real Property in the Phil's ( Divorce ) I talk to her on the Phone sometimes. Even what was Purchased in the Philippines after Marridge she Owns. 100%.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, Tim/Mav!

I first gathered info about this 2 years ago when a USC friend was looking into getting land in the Philippines..just passed on what I knew.:)

Good luck!

prep.mac

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

California is a community property state to a point. Depends on length of marriage and what was brought into the marriage. For example if you are married for 5 years and he brings in a million dollars and a house those are his but you are entitled to half of anything made during the marriage including any money that the house has gone up in value (none right now) you also would have claim to part of any retirement plan. But if there is a prenup then you go by what that says.

I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY NOR DO I PLAY ONE ON TV JUST HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE PROCESS CONSULT A REAL ATTORNEY TO BE 100% SURE Good luck to you

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

My past experince she owned a house in Acapulco and I owned a house in California since the house here went down in value I did not owe her anything ( Base on the purchase price if it had gone up from date of marriage i would have owed her equity) and Since she owned the house before marriage I had no claim to it we split money in bank evenly but since only married 2 years no alimony and she had to return the Mercedes purchased before marriage that she was driving even though I owned 2 more cars. They were all bought prior to marriage. Hope my pain helps some one :rofl: Good Luck to you

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

California is a community property state. All property acquired during the course of a marriage is presumed community property (CP). All property acquired before marriage or after permanent separation is presumed to be separate property (SP). In addition, any property obtained by one spouse through gift, bequest or devise is presumed to be SP.

In order to determine the character of any asset, courts will trace back to the source of funds used to acquire the assets. A mere change in the form of an asset does not change its characterization.

This is how they tell you to start every community property essay when you take the California bar exam. I hope it helps (it did help me, I passed :thumbs: )

Edited by newlyweds2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.