PAGE 11

Who owns what in a US marriage?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It depends on the state you live in. Check the internet for details.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

The way I understand this I believe is Correct. The Philipphine Goverment does NOT want Americans buying their Country for Pesos on the Dollar. A married Pinay and the USC can purchase property but will be Titled 49% USC/51% Pinay. In the Result of termination of the Marridge 100% of the Title (Deed) goes back to the Pinay.

Any USC that has purchased say a house/lot in the Philipphines can answer this better.

Wrong again

If you wife dies and she is from Philippine then you own the property.................

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

If you marry in California and reside in California, the court will not care about what happened in the Philippines under Philippines law. Unless the marriage is terminated for the death of one of the spouses and there is a valid will under Philippines law. In that case, there may be some treaties between the US and the Philippines. But why are we even talking about this? the OP was asking about what happens after marriage in California: if you don't have a valid pre nuptial agreement (remember, your spouse needs to have enough time to read it and approve it, don't give it to her right before getting married), then all assets purchased during the marriage are CP unless proved otherwise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

California is a community property state and post marital gains in wealth and debts will be considered joint unless the couple CLEARLY establishes intent to hold property separately ( I have done this I maintain my sole assets separately paid for by an account not used to pay for community assets ) So if you have a typical community household money's used from that account to pay toward a house overseas will bring the value of that asset under community property. You may own it but the value of it will be taken into the accounting of spliting of assets. ( The US doesn't care what other country laws say when it comes to assets in a divorce ) For marriages where one part doesn't work alimony will be granted for a time roughly equal to 1/2 the time of the marriage. Retirement assets are generelly not affected unless the marriage is for more than 8 years. If you are posting about divorce and still haven't gotten married your spouse to be would be wise to quickly go to status of ex fiance.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The wife is community property in common law states. In the others, the wife is owned strictly by the husband, but can be leased through a tractor supply company.

In community property states a PreMarital or Postmarital agreements takes care of most of the isssues that can come up in divorce

Another great thing about them, if one party files for bankruptcy then the other party in the marriage is not included..........

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.