Ali Flower

Will my green card be forwarded to my new address?

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

On monday I got an email notification from USCIS that my AOS was approved, and then another that card production was ordered. Great news...except...I'm moving on Saturday. I will definitely be changing my address with USCIS ASAP (I already called to see if I could change it on Tuesday in anticipation, but was told I had to wait until I had actually moved, which I figured would be the case). However, does anyone know what happens when I go through USPS and forward my mail from the old address to the new one? Will any USCIS mail that arrives at my old address (ie stuff that's in the mail right now) get forwarded to me or will it bounce back to USCIS? If it does get bounced back to them, what next? Will they resend it to the new address? I'm really worried that my green card (if it's on it's way now) is going to get lost in the mail...

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Not sure if this is posted in the right section of the forums, sorry if it's not.

K-1 Visa ~ VSC

Sent: April 1, 2010
Interview Date: Jan 18, 2011
APPROVED!!
POE: March 4, 2011
Wedding: April 2, 2011

Adjustment of Status
Filed AOS, EAD, AP: May 4, 2011
NOA: May 16, 2011
Transfer to CSC: June 1, 2011
Biometrics: June 9, 2011
AOS Approved: June 27, 2011

Removal of Conditions

Filed: April 13, 2013

NOA: April 17. 2013

Biometrics: May 31, 2013

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did you put a change of address in at your local post office? If so, any mail should be forwarded to your new address. It takes effect the next business day as far as I know.

No, the Post Office will not forward government mail/Green Cards. Make the change with USCIS and cross your fingers... the timing is obviously not ideal. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thanks for your replies guys. At least I know now that it won't forward for sure. Crossing my fingers now....

K-1 Visa ~ VSC

Sent: April 1, 2010
Interview Date: Jan 18, 2011
APPROVED!!
POE: March 4, 2011
Wedding: April 2, 2011

Adjustment of Status
Filed AOS, EAD, AP: May 4, 2011
NOA: May 16, 2011
Transfer to CSC: June 1, 2011
Biometrics: June 9, 2011
AOS Approved: June 27, 2011

Removal of Conditions

Filed: April 13, 2013

NOA: April 17. 2013

Biometrics: May 31, 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

Hi everyone,

On monday I got an email notification from USCIS that my AOS was approved, and then another that card production was ordered. Great news...except...I'm moving on Saturday. I will definitely be changing my address with USCIS ASAP (I already called to see if I could change it on Tuesday in anticipation, but was told I had to wait until I had actually moved, which I figured would be the case). However, does anyone know what happens when I go through USPS and forward my mail from the old address to the new one? Will any USCIS mail that arrives at my old address (ie stuff that's in the mail right now) get forwarded to me or will it bounce back to USCIS? If it does get bounced back to them, what next? Will they resend it to the new address? I'm really worried that my green card (if it's on it's way now) is going to get lost in the mail...

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Not sure if this is posted in the right section of the forums, sorry if it's not.

You should talk to either (or both of) your mail carrier and your postmaster. They may be able to put your mail on a hold for a few days, rather than putting in a forwarding order immediately. Then you could pick up your mail. They may also have other suggestions. My post office has always bee very helpful with mail forwarding/storage problems

You should talk to either (or both of) your mail carrier and your postmaster. They may be able to put your mail on a hold for a few days, rather than putting in a forwarding order immediately. Then you could pick up your mail. They may also have other suggestions. My post office has always bee very helpful with mail forwarding/storage problems

Putting the mail on hold is a great idea! :thumbs:

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I was also going to suggest the mail hold option. It isn't subject to the same restrictions as forwarding and just requires a trip to the Post Office every so often.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Most likely nobody is moving in to you apartment for at least 2 weeks. Talk to your rental office, they might let you keep the mail box key for that period. If you don't get anything till other tenants move in you may talk to them, they will notify you when the mail arrives. Any time we moved to a new apartment we kept the mail for at least 2 months just in case previous tenants would show up for it. I think we are not alone.

(0) 05/10/2011 - Package sent (I-130, I-485, I-765) via FedEx Overnight

(1) 05/11/2011 - Package Received

(21) 05/31/2011 - checks cashed

(27) 06/06/2011 - NOA received for I485, I765, I10; appontment letter for BIO ( 06/29)

(50) 06/29/2011 - Biometrics done ( tried to walk in on 06/20, was refused in Elizabeth, NJ)

(56) 07/05/2011 - EAD card production ordered

(59) 07/08/2011 - another update EAD card production ordered on 07/08/2011

(66) 07/12/2011 – interview letter received for Aug 15, EAD approved, letter sent out on 07/11

(68) 07/14/2011 – EAD card arrived in mail!

(100)08/15/2011 - interview – APPROVED!!!

(104)08/19/2011- Welcome notice received.

(107)08/22/2011- GC arrived in mail.

I asked my local postoffice about this and they recommended I put a hold on my mail. You can do this for up to 30 days and go in and pick up the mail every week. Once you receive the GC you can remove the hold and submit the forward order. Then all mail addressed to you will go to the new address. As others have said, the post office will not forward USCIS mail as they put on the envelop "Do not forward". I would not expect the change of address with USCIS to get your GC to the new address.

Good luck.

Dave

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help!

:ot: We have the same wedding anniversary date!! (L)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.