ckadam

Extension Tax papers for I-864

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

The immigrant petition I-130 for my wife is approved and forwarded to NVC for processing. While we are waiting for NVC case no, I have started to prepare documents for Affidavit of Support (I-864). As a supporting document, I am supposed to attached the latest Tax return papers (i.e. for year 2010). However, I have filed for Extension for 2010 tax and I have appropriate receipts for the same.

1. Is it acceptable to attach Extension receipt, for the most recent tax year (ie. 2010) ?

2. Is it recommended to pay the taxes for 2010 before filing for I-864 (and then later I could file for amendment, to get advantage of dependent spouse).

Please advise, if you have experience in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The immigrant petition I-130 for my wife is approved and forwarded to NVC for processing. While we are waiting for NVC case no, I have started to prepare documents for Affidavit of Support (I-864). As a supporting document, I am supposed to attached the latest Tax return papers (i.e. for year 2010). However, I have filed for Extension for 2010 tax and I have appropriate receipts for the same.

1. Is it acceptable to attach Extension receipt, for the most recent tax year (ie. 2010) ?

1. My wife just informed the CO that we'd filed an extension. It would be a good idea to include the extension receipt and the last 3 years returns when doing your 864.

2. Is it recommended to pay the taxes for 2010 before filing for I-864 (and then later I could file for amendment, to get advantage of dependent spouse).

2. If you married before 2011, you'd have to file married and she'd have to get an ITIN, the choice is yours to file now with her applying for an ITIN or waiting till she arrives and gets a SSN. (providing she was your wife prior to 2011).

Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps some, I'm no expert but this has worked for us.

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There is no problem with the extension--it does say on the DOS web site that if you file an extension, you must bring a coy of the previous year's tax return to the interview, but since you are going to use all three, you are covered on that front, and yes, you MUST include the extension receipt..

Edited by magical

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Are you a wage/salary earner or self employed? If self employed you need to get the 2010 return done. The income that will be examined is line 22 of your 2010 return. If wage/salary earner then your current and continuing income is the most important. Document this with an employer letter and recent paystubs.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Are you a wage/salary earner or self employed? If self employed you need to get the 2010 return done. The income that will be examined is line 22 of your 2010 return. If wage/salary earner then your current and continuing income is the most important. Document this with an employer letter and recent paystubs.

This distinction is critical. The OP hasn't indicated whether he is employed or self employed. One must know the answer to that to provide the correct answer. An extension will NOT work for a self employed sponsor.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

This distinction is critical. The OP hasn't indicated whether he is employed or self employed. One must know the answer to that to provide the correct answer. An extension will NOT work for a self employed sponsor.

Thank you very much for all the replies. Yes, I am a salaried employee with a same company for last 3 years, and that is the only source of my income. So per all the answers on this post, I will be providing following information:

1. Extension Receipt for 2010

2. Tax return transcripts for 2009, 2008, 2007

3. Employment Letter & supporting documents indicating my salary/wages

4. Pay stubs for the year 2011.

Thanks again for all the info. And please alter me, if I am missing any information.

Timeline

Thank you very much for all the replies. Yes, I am a salaried employee with a same company for last 3 years, and that is the only source of my income. So per all the answers on this post, I will be providing following information:

1. Extension Receipt for 2010

2. Tax return transcripts for 2009, 2008, 2007

3. Employment Letter & supporting documents indicating my salary/wages

4. Pay stubs for the year 2011.

Thanks again for all the info. And please alter me, if I am missing any information.

This may be OK but I don't understand why you don't simply file the 2010 tax return.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Sometimes it's easier to get an extension and file later than it is to file and amend later. For example, I have to wait for several K-1's that usually show up about one week before my extension expires, so I just wait for them rather than filing by 4/15 and then filing an amended return in October. I could obviously do either, so I take the easy way out--every year it is the same.

There should be no issues about showing the extension and using the previous year's tax return--2009 in this case--and in fact the DOS web site specifically says that if you do that, be sure to bring the 2009 return to the interview. It's not uncommon, apparently.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Quick update: my AOS is approved with (Tax Extension for 2010, Tax papers for 2009,2008,2007).

This may be OK but I don't understand why you don't simply file the 2010 tax return.

I will be doing so soon. Thanks for the help.

Timeline

Quick update: my AOS is approved with (Tax Extension for 2010, Tax papers for 2009,2008,2007).

I will be doing so soon. Thanks for the help.

I would email or take a copy of the tax return to your spouse to carry to the interview. NVC does not have the final word on the I-864. A CO has the last word at the interview.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

The DOS instructions are very clear that you have to take the previous year's tax return to the interview if you filed an extension for the current year, so it is more than just a good idea--it is mandatory.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I was just denied on Wednesday for only having my husbands 2010 tax extension paperwork and not the actual tax return. You MUST bring your most recent tax return - I can't stress this enough. Here's a link to my situation - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/322962-canadian-cr1-refusal-at-todays-interview-in-montreal-needs-additional-documentation/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.