canadianjade

Canadian CR1 Refusal at today's interview in Montreal - Needs additional documentation

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

First and foremost thank you all for the informative posts. Despite having a lawyer (big mistake) the information found on VJ has not only proven to be accurate but a beacon in the night while navigating these rough waters of immigration.

Today I had my interview in Montreal for my CR1 visa. I had all my "ducks in a row" was there bright and early (got c3) etc... But, we ran into an obstacle. Our lawyer told us that using my husbands "2010 Application for automatic Extension of Time to file for US Individual Income tax Return" (Form 4868) was sufficient for the 2010 tax requirements. I did bring all of his 2007, 2008, 2009 documents as well as his affidavit of self employment, current 2011 pay stubs and cheques, invoices to his clients with outstanding money owed to him etc... All of which the CO wouldn't even require despite he made an average of $60K annually. Nevertheless, the CO said that she could not approve the Visa unless she had his 2010 tax returns or 1099's. Note: We had not filed my husbands 2010 taxes because he is self employed and it was taking too much time to gather the W2's from his multiple sources of income. We were advised by our lawyer that we did NOT need to provide my husbands 2010 returns if we had the extension form which by the way was approved through the online system at NVC.

The CO asked if I wanted my passport back or if I wanted her to keep it and then just send in the necessary documentation. I opted to keep it so I could send everything in together including the passport. She said sending this kind of additional documentation wasn't a really big deal and that she tries to turn these things around fairly quickly. She said everything else was ok.

My husband was able to quickly file his 2010 taxes (his accountant is a family friend) and have them emailed to our hotel. I then printed them out and tried to get back into the US Consulate in Montreal to hand deliver them instead of submitting them back using DHL. The security officers were friendly, remembered me from earlier in the morning and went "upstairs" to ask if they would accept the requested documents. Unfortunately the CO who reviewed my file said "no" and that I needed to submit via DHL.

So, I took a very expensive taxi to Dorval (the closest DHL location) with all my documents in hand and sent them to the US consulate along with my passport. I decided to send them from Montreal instead of from my home DHL branch in Ontario in hopes that they will reach the Montreal Consulate tomorrow (DHL said they will get there tomorrow).

My question - has anyone else had to send additional documentation to the Montreal Consulate via DHL after their interview? And, if so, how long did it take for you to get you passport and visa approved and back in your hands? I've tried tirelessly to find some topics around this but no luck. Any insights, experiences suggestions would be most appreciated. What happens now?

I'm devastated by this but need some honest feedback so I can prepare and not live in this constant state of anxiety. After a year of all of this I'm emotionally and now physically exhausted. But I know you all get that!

Thank you in advance friends!

Jade

Oh no, so sorry to hear you had trouble!! :( I know there were a couple posts on the Canadian forum from those who had to send documents in after the fact. Nothing incredibly recent, but this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/320304-additional-documentation/ & this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/296695-i-am-frustrated-with-the-us-consulate-in-montreal/ might have some useful information.

Hopefully it's quick from here for you!

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

No advice, just had to say that it was totally stupid that they wouldn't accept it hand delivered :bonk: That makes no sense to me, silly consulate!

Good luck and hope this gets through very speedy!

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

so sorry you had all that trouble,the file states that you need three years tax or transcripts 2008,2009, 2010,if you had all that ,no problem good luck hope ghl gets there fast.

Timeline

Oh no, so sorry to hear you had trouble!! :( I know there were a couple posts on the Canadian forum from those who had to send documents in after the fact. Nothing incredibly recent, but this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/320304-additional-documentation/ & this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/296695-i-am-frustrated-with-the-us-consulate-in-montreal/ might have some useful information.

Hopefully it's quick from here for you!

Thank you - I'll have a look see! FYI I was the redhead in the white dress who went right after you! Congrats to you guys! And again, thank you for all of your informative posts. It's so appreciated!

Thank you - I'll have a look see! FYI I was the redhead in the white dress who went right after you! Congrats to you guys! And again, thank you for all of your informative posts. It's so appreciated!

Haha, I figured from the C3! Your shoes were awesome, btw :) I can't believe they wouldn't let you submit the document that day, though. Especially since you were allowed into the building so that wasn't the concern at all :( Good luck!

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My question - has anyone else had to send additional documentation to the Montreal Consulate via DHL after their interview? And, if so, how long did it take for you to get you passport and visa approved and back in your hands? I've tried tirelessly to find some topics around this but no luck. Any insights, experiences suggestions would be most appreciated. What happens now?

I have for a K-1. My medical results were incomplete at the time of my interview. I mailed it afterwards through DHL and it took the consulate 4 weeks from the moment my package was signed for before they sent me my passport back with my visa.

If you go through your paperwork, they gave you a sheet notice that explains how to mail missing forms through DHL for an incomplete application. It does say it causes a 4 to 6 weeks delay. Anything going through Montreal's mail room implies more waiting :(

Hang in there!

Edited by SF2007

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Your case is not refused, its same as she needs additional information, since you said she was even willing to hold on to your passport is a positive site.

If they were refusing your visa she would not hold on to your passport.

Timeline

I have for a K-1. My medical results were incomplete at the time of my interview. I mailed it afterwards through DHL and it took the consulate 4 weeks from the moment my package was signed for before they sent me my passport back with my visa.

If you go through your paperwork, they gave you a sheet notice that explains how to mail missing forms through DHL for an incomplete application. It does say it causes a 4 to 6 weeks delay. Anything going through Montreal's mail room implies more waiting :(

Hang in there!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I just want to hear a "the visa has been approved" when I call DOS! The waiting for the actual passport and Visa is ok, I just feel like I'm in such limbo! How long did it take for you to hear you were approved or did you just wait to get the email rather then calling DOS?

It's so great to be able to have this kind of conversation - it makes the extra waiting bearable! And, thanks for continuing to post after already receiving your Visa!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I just want to hear a "the visa has been approved" when I call DOS! The waiting for the actual passport and Visa is ok, I just feel like I'm in such limbo! How long did it take for you to hear you were approved or did you just wait to get the email rather then calling DOS?

I called DOS every other day and I was in the same limbo you are. We knew it had been issued and printed 3 days before they mailed it back. You unfortunately won't be told so far ahead but good news is, once they do issue and print it, it moves quickly. Until then, it's most likely sitting on someone's desk waiting for it's turn. But don't worry, if you mail them everything correctly along with your passport it'll be fine.

It's so great to be able to have this kind of conversation - it makes the extra waiting bearable! And, thanks for continuing to post after already receiving your Visa!

I came up awesome people who offered me great advice when I was going crazy with the K-1 process :help: . I'm now trying to pay it back a little ;)

Good luck and try to enjoy your last days in Canada. It'll be a while before you can visit back!

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

• 6 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 8/3/2011 at 7:25 PM, canadianjade said:

Hi all,

First and foremost thank you all for the informative posts. Despite having a lawyer (big mistake) the information found on VJ has not only proven to be accurate but a beacon in the night while navigating these rough waters of immigration.

Today I had my interview in Montreal for my CR1 visa. I had all my "ducks in a row" was there bright and early (got c3) etc... But, we ran into an obstacle. Our lawyer told us that using my husbands "2010 Application for automatic Extension of Time to file for US Individual Income tax Return" (Form 4868) was sufficient for the 2010 tax requirements. I did bring all of his 2007, 2008, 2009 documents as well as his affidavit of self employment, current 2011 pay stubs and cheques, invoices to his clients with outstanding money owed to him etc... All of which the CO wouldn't even require despite he made an average of $60K annually. Nevertheless, the CO said that she could not approve the Visa unless she had his 2010 tax returns or 1099's. Note: We had not filed my husbands 2010 taxes because he is self employed and it was taking too much time to gather the W2's from his multiple sources of income. We were advised by our lawyer that we did NOT need to provide my husbands 2010 returns if we had the extension form which by the way was approved through the online system at NVC.

The CO asked if I wanted my passport back or if I wanted her to keep it and then just send in the necessary documentation. I opted to keep it so I could send everything in together including the passport. She said sending this kind of additional documentation wasn't a really big deal and that she tries to turn these things around fairly quickly. She said everything else was ok.

My husband was able to quickly file his 2010 taxes (his accountant is a family friend) and have them emailed to our hotel. I then printed them out and tried to get back into the US Consulate in Montreal to hand deliver them instead of submitting them back using DHL. The security officers were friendly, remembered me from earlier in the morning and went "upstairs" to ask if they would accept the requested documents. Unfortunately the CO who reviewed my file said "no" and that I needed to submit via DHL.

So, I took a very expensive taxi to Dorval (the closest DHL location) with all my documents in hand and sent them to the US consulate along with my passport. I decided to send them from Montreal instead of from my home DHL branch in Ontario in hopes that they will reach the Montreal Consulate tomorrow (DHL said they will get there tomorrow).

I'm devastated by this but need some honest feedback so I can prepare and not live in this constant state of anxiety. After a year of all of this I'm emotionally and now physically exhausted. But I know you all get that!

Thank you in advance friends!

Jade

How did this turn out?

Consulate : Jamaica
Marriage (if applicable): 2016-12-24
I-130 Sent : 2017-06-13
I-130 NOA1 : 2017-06-16
I-130 RFE :  
I-130 RFE Sent :  
I-130 Approved : 2017-12-05
NVC Received : 2018-01-19
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2018-01-03
Pay AOS Bill : 2018-01-03
Receive I-864 Package :  
Send AOS Package : 2018-01-12
Submit DS-261 : 2018-01-02
Receive IV Bill : 2018-01-09
Pay IV Bill : 2018-01-09
Send IV Package : 2018-01-13
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : Pending
Case Completed at NVC : 2018-02-20
NVC Left : Pending
Consulate Received : Pending
Packet 3 Received : Pending
Packet 3 Sent : Pending
Packet 4 Received : Pending
Interview Date : April 27, 2018
Interview Result :

Timeline
16 hours ago, acidrain said:

Not sure you are aware but this is a 7 year old thread. 

I am very much aware but I am curious about the outcome since I am in a similar situation. 

I-130 RFE :  
I-130 RFE Sent :  
Receive I-864 Package :  
Interview Result :

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Curiousmind said:

I am very much aware but I am curious about the outcome since I am in a similar situation. 

The OP has not logged onto Visa Journey for more than 6 years. It might be more helpful to start your own thread.

Timeline
Just now, acidrain said:

The OP has not logged onto Visa Journey for more than 6 years. It might be more helpful to start your own thread.

Thank you, ill do that.

I-130 RFE :  
I-130 RFE Sent :  
Receive I-864 Package :  
Interview Result :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.