munkeynutts

How long to get a Texas Drivers License?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I am a British guy currently living in Houston, Texas. I am a permanent resident. I am currently driving with my UK license. I learned from a friend of mine from New Zealand who lives in Austin that I do not have to take a driving test and can just go ahead and apply for a license.

How long is it typically to wait for a license?

Many thanks

Martin

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2009-05-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-10

I-797 Received: 2009-09-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-06

Interview Date : 2010-02-03

Interview Result : Disastrous.

Only realised on the day that a full birth certificate was needed. My passport was too damaged, in the opinion of the interviewing officer (although it wasn't really that damaged at all!). Was told I needed to supply an I-134, completed by my fiancee (even though the embassy guidance notes specifically advises that K-1 applicants do not have to do this). Was told that I needed to supply my fiancee's tax return paperwork for year ending 2008 (even though K-1 applicants are not advised of this at all prior to interview!)

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received : 2010-02-24

US Entry : 2010-02-25

Marriage : 2010-03-22

Comments : Married at Harris County Courthouse on Clay Road by Judge William Yeoman. Then a lovely lunch at Bistro Alex, off Sam Houston Tollway, Houston, TX! Yummy!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 115 days from your NOA1 date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

try looking at the texas dmv website.. will have much more info on it than an immigration site since the answer needs be texas specific

YMMV

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Excellent Mairo, thanks for the info!

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2009-05-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-10

I-797 Received: 2009-09-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-06

Interview Date : 2010-02-03

Interview Result : Disastrous.

Only realised on the day that a full birth certificate was needed. My passport was too damaged, in the opinion of the interviewing officer (although it wasn't really that damaged at all!). Was told I needed to supply an I-134, completed by my fiancee (even though the embassy guidance notes specifically advises that K-1 applicants do not have to do this). Was told that I needed to supply my fiancee's tax return paperwork for year ending 2008 (even though K-1 applicants are not advised of this at all prior to interview!)

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received : 2010-02-24

US Entry : 2010-02-25

Marriage : 2010-03-22

Comments : Married at Harris County Courthouse on Clay Road by Judge William Yeoman. Then a lovely lunch at Bistro Alex, off Sam Houston Tollway, Houston, TX! Yummy!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 115 days from your NOA1 date.

The Texas DMV website says, "Surrender your VALID out-of-state learner or driver license, or a VALID out-of-country learner or driver license from France, Canada, or Germany, at the driver license office. The written and driving examinations will be waived, but you must still pass a vision exam." So that would indicate that, similar to other states, you would be required to do the driving test. You're also only supposed to use your old licence for up to the first 90 days of your residence. Maybe they do things differently in practice though.

Hi all,

I am a British guy currently living in Houston, Texas. I am a permanent resident. I am currently driving with my UK license. I learned from a friend of mine from New Zealand who lives in Austin that I do not have to take a driving test and can just go ahead and apply for a license.

How long is it typically to wait for a license?

Many thanks

Martin

Harris County and Brazoria County experience here---

You can drive 12 months on your UK license.

When you go to the DPS office, bring your passort, green card, social security card, and proof of vehicle insurance.

You will take a written test on computer. Pick up a free Texas Driver's Handbook at a DPS office to study. Lot's of questions about teen drivers and penalties, so don't ignore that first section of the book just because you're not a teen. Pass the written test and you get a learner's permit.

You will take a driving test with a State Highway Patrol officer. My husband took both written/driving tests the same day, but I notice Houston offices say you have to pre-book an appointment in person for the driving portion. When you pass the driving test, you get a paper license until your real license comes in the mail. It's not nearly as hard as a UK test. You have to parallel park as part of the test. Don't hit the poles. You get 3 attempts. Use turn signal before attempting to parallel park and when pulling out---even though you're only in the office car park for that. Also, when changing lanes, use turn signal, check rearview mirror, and look over your shoulder (blind spot). They like to see you do those three things.

You license will be a normal license, not temporary visitor since you have a greencard.

If you ever need to get the card renewed/replaced or change the address because you moved-- you will have to go in person. LPRs can't do it online. It took a two hour wait at the office on Beltway 8 near the airport just to do an address change. And a lady from another office suggested we go there because it was a new office and nobody knew about it so less crowded. Lot's of people knew about it.

They did not take my husband's UK license from him. You get 3 attempts to pass the written and the driving test for the fee. After that you would have to pay again.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Karin (in Travis County/Austin) had to take both the written and driving test. Can keep your out of country DL (they won't take it).

First step - apply and take the written test - then schedule the driving portion (using your car). This may be done differently depending on the DMV office (some are busier than others). Suggest studying the book - even an experienced (US or otherwise) driver would need to. Once all that is done - a temp dl is issued and a week or so later the real one is delivered.

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does this advice still apply or have the rules changed?

Harris County and Brazoria County experience here---

You can drive 12 months on your UK license.

When you go to the DPS office, bring your passort, green card, social security card, and proof of vehicle insurance.

You will take a written test on computer. Pick up a free Texas Driver's Handbook at a DPS office to study. Lot's of questions about teen drivers and penalties, so don't ignore that first section of the book just because you're not a teen. Pass the written test and you get a learner's permit.

You will take a driving test with a State Highway Patrol officer. My husband took both written/driving tests the same day, but I notice Houston offices say you have to pre-book an appointment in person for the driving portion. When you pass the driving test, you get a paper license until your real license comes in the mail. It's not nearly as hard as a UK test. You have to parallel park as part of the test. Don't hit the poles. You get 3 attempts. Use turn signal before attempting to parallel park and when pulling out---even though you're only in the office car park for that. Also, when changing lanes, use turn signal, check rearview mirror, and look over your shoulder (blind spot). They like to see you do those three things.

You license will be a normal license, not temporary visitor since you have a greencard.

If you ever need to get the card renewed/replaced or change the address because you moved-- you will have to go in person. LPRs can't do it online. It took a two hour wait at the office on Beltway 8 near the airport just to do an address change. And a lady from another office suggested we go there because it was a new office and nobody knew about it so less crowded. Lot's of people knew about it.

They did not take my husband's UK license from him. You get 3 attempts to pass the written and the driving test for the fee. After that you would have to pay again.

Our Journey :goofy:

5/23/2015 - Met my love in the US of A

9/21/2015 - Sent off i-129f!

9/25/2015 - Received NOA1

10/27/2015 - Received NOA2!!!!! :dancing:

11/11/2015- Package received by NVC

11/12/2015- Got our case number

12/09/2015 - Medical

01/13/2016 - Interview & APPROVED! :) :dance:

5/17/2016 - Flight booked!!! The big move is finally here!

5/21/2016 - We got marrieddddddddd :wub:

Filing for Adjustment of Status

5/27/2016 - Applied for SSN and changed to married name - (still not received)

6/8/2016- Filed AoS (I-765, I -131, I 485)

6/13/2016 - AoS Received

6/25/2016- NoA

9/20/2016 - EAD & Advanced parole card received!

10/2/2016 - Green card received!!!! :star:

Removal of Conditions

9/21/2018 - Filed package to Texas via USPS priority mail

9/24/2018- Package delivered confirmed

10/19/2018 - i-551 stamp at infopass appointment

10/26/2018 - 18 month extension receipt notice received

zzflag017.gif united-states-flag.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I did check and this information is still accurate! Since you have your Green Card you should be able to get your US DL with no issue! Good luck!

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2011 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.