Gumbolette

What will happen if a K1 visa holder didn't apply for AOS in her first year?

16 posts in this topic

Hi folks.

I have a friend and she came to the US last July 2010. They got married last September. Because of financial constraints, she is unable to work on her AOS. She is just very worried that there might be some immigration problems she might encounter if she didn't file an AOS in shortest time she could. Since I was not a K1 visa holder, I don't know what to advice her.

My questions would be:

1. What might be the consequences that she haven't filed AOS after her 1st year of her residency of even after their marriage date?

2. Her husband was in Military and waiting to go back to the service, so is there any way to waived the AOS fee or any sort of way for them to pay the fee at later note?

3. What are the "MUST DOs" now in this situation?

Thank you for all!

Edited by Cutie_Patootie

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1. What might be the consequences that she haven't filed AOS after her 1st year of her residency of even after their marriage date?

Since the I-94 has long since expired, she technically has overstay. That overstay will be forgiven when the AOS is approved. When she files for AOS, don't bother filing for AP, she needs to wait until she has that green card is in hand before traveling internationally. If she were to leave the US before the AOS process was complete, she would have a ban. CBP wouldn't care about the AP because of the overstay.

2. Her husband was in Military and waiting to go back to the service, so is there any way to waived the AOS fee or any sort of way for them to pay the fee at later note?

Not that I know of.

File for AOS as quickly as possible. Note, since the I-94 is expired and if she were to be caught by ICE, she could be detained. However, since she eligible to file for AOS, she would be released and told by a judge to file for AOS right away.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

the costs of filing k1 and aos,roc all must have been considered beforehand.this is extremely important in todays time.she can wait to file aos but complications can arise later.it is important to pay and file ontime.after she does file for aos then she needs to file for removal of conditions at a cost of 590.00.

Filed: Timeline

Hi folks.

I have a friend and she came to the US last July 2010. They got married last September. Because of financial constraints, she is unable to work on her AOS. She is just very worried that there might be some immigration problems she might encounter if she didn't file an AOS in shortest time she could. Since I was not a K1 visa holder, I don't know what to advice her.

My questions would be:

Thank you for all!

The major issue is that your friend shouldn't travel until after filing for AOS. Technically, she is out of status, however, there is no deadline for filing. She met the requirements of the K-1 if she married within the first 90 days after arriving in the country. Otherwise, she may need to file an I-130 along with the I-485. She may have to do that anyways.

She can check with the Chaplain's Office. They may be able to assist her with the filing fee, or call the USCIS Military Hotline at 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645)

Edited by Some Old Guy

The major issue is that your friend shouldn't travel until after filing for AOS. Technically, she is out of status, however, there is no deadline for filing. She met the requirements of the K-1 if she married within the first 90 days after arriving in the country. Otherwise, she may need to file an I-130 along with the I-485. She may have to do that anyways.

She can check with the Chaplain's Office. They may be able to assist her with the filing fee, or call the USCIS Military Hotline at 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645)

if her husband is not in the army YET the army can't do nothing about it

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

Thank you for yall valuable responses.

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Beg and Borrow the money every month she waits is costing money by not being able to work. Tell her to spend this time learning to drive so she can open up more possibilities for a job.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

File the AOS, but ALSO file the waiver of payment. Explain why the paperwork was not sent because of the payment issue. They may also have to file the additional supplemental paperwork of the $1,000 fine payment in addition to the AOS paperwork. Not filing the paperwork in time can cause many, many problems. It is best to file the paperwork and file a waiver of fees if possible during the time frame. The 90 days is not something you want to go beyond, it can cause many, many headaches. I wish her the best, hopefully the military can help out. But they might also expect to hire a lawyer as well eventually. they are outside of the "normal" Hope all goes well,

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

File the AOS, but ALSO file the waiver of payment. Explain why the paperwork was not sent because of the payment issue. They may also have to file the additional supplemental paperwork of the $1,000 fine payment in addition to the AOS paperwork. Not filing the paperwork in time can cause many, many problems. It is best to file the paperwork and file a waiver of fees if possible during the time frame. The 90 days is not something you want to go beyond, it can cause many, many headaches. I wish her the best, hopefully the military can help out. But they might also expect to hire a lawyer as well eventually. they are outside of the "normal" Hope all goes well,

Just a thought, but I'm not sure if the waiver works for those who file AOS from a K1 visa because we have the I-134 Affidavit of Support and its already a given when you apply for k1 that AOS is next so its not like the cost comes as a shock to you. I could be wrong though. From what I know, most fee waivers are hardly granted anyway. My advice would be to borrow money from someone if you must but file ASAP. It's not fun to be in limbo and if they are in a financial hardship, she would actually be more useful with an EAD or GC because she can work and help contribute with expenses. Goodluck to them!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Well I was wrong. Technically they CAN try and file the fee waiver but chances are it will be denied, sent back to them and it will cause even more delays. Based on my searches here in VJ, many have tried and failed this route. So bottom line again.. borrow money and all will be well. It won't matter that they filed late, they will still be approved as long as they follow the VJ guides and file correctly. :) I don't think they'll need a lawyer, many couples do not file within 90 days.

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

This is incorrect. There is no deadline for filing AOS after K-1. It is in most people's best interest to apply sooner and avoid out-of-status days, but there is NO penalty for filing late. There is no $1000 fine. A waiver won't be approved because the petitioner is required to submit a legally binding I-864 affidavit of support and generally asking for a fee waiver while proving your spouse won't become a public charge doesn't mix. Not filing the paperwork causes no problems except the foreign spouse cannot work or travel, and we advise that after two years of not filing, people also submit a I-130 with their AOS to make sure they get their 10-years GC.

OP - Tell your friend to file ASAP. I would also advise borrowing money; once the foreign spouse can legally work, then the money could be paid back quickly.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Well I was wrong. Technically they CAN try and file the fee waiver but chances are it will be denied, sent back to them and it will cause even more delays. Based on my searches here in VJ, many have tried and failed this route. So bottom line again.. borrow money and all will be well. It won't matter that they filed late, they will still be approved as long as they follow the VJ guides and file correctly. :) I don't think they'll need a lawyer, many couples do not file within 90 days.

No, they can't ask for a fee waiver. The fee waiver is only available for an I-485 in the following conditions:

1. Application in conjunction with "T" or "U" non-immigrant status.

2. Asylum status.

3. Approved VAWA petitioner.

4. Special immigrant juvenile.

5. Adjustment category that does not require an affidavit of support.

6. Continuous residence in the US since 1972 (the original Reagan amnesty).

The I-912 is the fee waiver request form. This is all explained in the form instructions.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

No, they can't ask for a fee waiver. The fee waiver is only available for an I-485 in the following conditions:

1. Application in conjunction with "T" or "U" non-immigrant status.

2. Asylum status.

3. Approved VAWA petitioner.

4. Special immigrant juvenile.

5. Adjustment category that does not require an affidavit of support.

6. Continuous residence in the US since 1972 (the original Reagan amnesty).

The I-912 is the fee waiver request form. This is all explained in the form instructions.

Thanks for clarifying this! :thumbs:

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

thank you friends for giving such a massive information. I already told her about all the posts I have gathered here and they are now going to file her AOS. She just had her medical.

She was a really good friend of mine back in the Philippines so I am helping her now to get her AOS done.

Please bear with me I have some more questions to throw in later note.

I don't know what is the real reason why her husband is having a hard time coming back to military but its totally out of my boundaries to ask why they didn't have enough savings at hand. That's the reason why they don't have internet nor computer at home to research about her AOS.

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.