niknsam

husbands AOS in process/ Medicaid and child care help

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

hello-

ive seen many posts on the subject and ill also ask a case worker when i can, but every situation is different and i wonder if anyone knows where to find the right facts.

my husband is about to apply for AOS, myself and my son are U.S. citizens. We are a low income family as im the only one working until he is able. i just started working after our recent arrival here. However we have a co-sponsor whom i dont want to ask for help, as i can scrape by if i have to. if i apply for Medicaid for just my 3 year old and child care service(help with daycare) will that affect my husbands adjustment of status? or will they go after my co-sponsor?? and if there is no reason i cannot get help in those areas, can i push it as far as getting Medicare for all three of us? or is that against the rules? i dont know who to ask as the government agency's that deal with child and family services seem to think its ok for my son and myself to get help and unsure about my husband.. i dont want to pay back the money, down the road, or have my co-sponsor, like i said id rather scrape by.

thanks for any links/info

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The immigrant can't use stuff but the USC is perfectly legally able to do so and it will have no bearing on the AOS process.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

My daughter and I both have medi-cal (it's called that in California) and my husband received his GC without any problems. If your husband receives benefits from medicaid, then its a problem.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if the Legal Permanent Resident receives the aid, its a problem.

Usually, the USCitizen receiving aid, is not a problem.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Myself and my son (both US Citizens) have medicaid, my husband K3 has no insurance and my stepson k4 is on healthfirst which I pay every month. You can take your husband to low cost medical centers if need be and get a percentage off the medical bill to see a doctor. Emergency room charges on the other hand are 100% cash. : (

TIMELINE

Marriage : 2009-03-11

I-130 Sent : 2009-06-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-06-03

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-25

Interview Date : 2009-11-12

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2009-12-03

US Entry : 2010-02-08

I-130 Approval : 2009-08-25

Port of Entry : JFK

POE Date : 2010-02-08

Got EAD Stamp : Yes,EAD Card

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : MSC Local Office: New York City

Date Filed : 2010-09-23

NOA Date : 2010-09-30

Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-14

Approval Date: 2011-04-19

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received: No

Comments : No Interview, just received a notice online that card processing is in completion. step-sons status is currently still showing the same, last touch on 10/20/2011 and no update as of yet.

Employment Authorization Document

Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-14

Approved Date : 2010-12-20

Date Card Received : 2010-12-30

Advance Parole

Date Received : 2010-11-01

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

after the green card is received can the non USC get medicaid or insurance?? or does anyone know how long the co sponsers income has to be used?

03-16-2011 -- MARRIAGE!!! so happy:)

Adjustment of Status

3-30-2011 -- (day 00) AOS package sent (AOS, EAD and AP)

4-02-2011 -- (day 01) Package delivered

4-06-2011 -- (day 05) NOA1 Text

4-09-2011 -- (day 08) NOA1 Hardcopy

4-16-2011 -- (day 15) Biometrics appt received (May 9, 2011)

4-22-2011 -- (day 21) Case Transfered to CSC

5-09-2011 -- (day 38) Biometrics taken

5-24-2011 -- (day 53) EAD card production ordered

5-27-2011 -- (day 56) I485 Card Production ordered!!!

6-02-2011 -- (day 62) Welcome Letter Received

6-03-2011 -- (day 63) Green Card and EAD/AP Cards RECEIVED!!!

Done with Immigration for TWO WHOLE YEARS!!!

oycak7.png

after the green card is received can the non USC get medicaid or insurance?? or does anyone know how long the co sponsers income has to be used?

I don't think we are eligible for it, even with PR status. But a PR can definitely get health insurance. I just got mine lately and I don't have my GC yet. All I needed was my SSN and my hubby wad able to add me to his plan.

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

thanks everyone, i figured the USC (son and myself) were ok to get the Medicaid and child care help, and with the money saved on child care, we can pay for healthcare for my immigrant husband!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

He would be eligible for insurance but not eligible for Medicaid. He is able to use Medicade once he's been an LPR for 5 years BUT the sponsors could be sued by the US Government to repay the amount. HOWEVER, he's eligible to be a USC after 3 years of being an LPR (and 3 years marriage to you) and this would mean the I-864's are cancelled.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.